Donate To Keep The Site Vibrant and Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 87

Thread: Hax (and the other names)

  1. #26
    Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,302
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    That made me chuckle!

  2. #27
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Yes, very well done!

    <--loves a good pun--even better unintended
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  3. #28
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfWesternesse View Post
    I dunno - it still does'nt hang well with me.
    It does not fit with the same logic as the other names he sings there (I'd have to go look at the book to see them all - but I'm pretty sure Hax is the odd-one-out by a country mile!)
    I feel the same way, Brian.

    Thank you for all of your posts guys. I have read them all but still I have no peace with it - however usually I can accept such stuff quite easily.

    Roland would have understood.

  4. #29
    Gunslinger Apprentice To The Dark Tower Came is on a distinguished road To The Dark Tower Came's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    91
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    [quote=Letti;85139]
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfWesternesse View Post
    I dunno - it still does'nt hang well with me.
    It does not fit with the same logic as the other names he sings there (I'd have to go look at the book to see them all - but I'm pretty sure Hax is the odd-one-out by a country mile!)
    I have to agree, though with many of the "path starter" posts. I view Hax as representing a lesson to Roland. The son of the most noble family, Roland was still in childhood and was casting about for people to take the place of his father, whom was not only leader of Roland's world (or close to), but juggling uprising, and probably not around to be a father to Roland.

    Cort was the discipline, Vannay the thoughtful/philosophical side, and perhaps Hax filled a portion as well. As we know, Roland had a way of bonding with people and to him as well. When Hax betrays Roland's world, it's a part of Roland that gets sent to the gallows. Tossing pieces of bread at the man's feet bids farewell to this aspect that Hax was, to that it will be scattered by the birds.

    When he cries Hax's name at the Tower, he cries out a piece of himself, some aspect of Roland. Roland calls out his and all their names because they are all Roland, parts of Roland that should be.
    "...quiet as despair, I turn’d from him..."


    Posts made by user To The Dark Tower Came
    are his opinion. Any feelings of anger, angst,
    or weltsmertz please see a licensed mental
    health professional immediately.

  5. #30
    Numenorean ManOfWesternesse is on a distinguished road ManOfWesternesse's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sligo. Ireland.
    Posts
    2,244
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Yeah, I get the 'path starter' idea - and you've put it well there - maybe even clarified it a bit for me.
    I guess I just ain't a fan of the idea,
    ...but then the different possibilities of interpretation is one of the things that make King such a great artist.
    <img src=http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z47/ManOfWesternesse/dt_bcBanner002d.jpg border=0 alt= />

  6. #31
    Gunslinger Apprentice To The Dark Tower Came is on a distinguished road To The Dark Tower Came's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    91
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfWesternesse View Post
    Yeah, I get the 'path starter' idea - and you've put it well there - maybe even clarified it a bit for me.
    I guess I just ain't a fan of the idea,
    ...but then the different possibilities of interpretation is one of the things that make King such a great artist.
    I can understand that. I goes against a sense of justice. Someone does wrong and we shouldn't include them when naming those who are "good".

    I'm not always sure people will understand what I write...lol. Not for any profoundity on my part, but because I tend to blather and make long posts explaining the things behind them.
    "...quiet as despair, I turn’d from him..."


    Posts made by user To The Dark Tower Came
    are his opinion. Any feelings of anger, angst,
    or weltsmertz please see a licensed mental
    health professional immediately.

  7. #32
    Gunslinger Apprentice ATG is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Corona, CA
    Posts
    467
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I'm pretty rusty on my DT, but wasn't Hax's death a big milestone for Roland, loss-of-innocence type thing? That might default him onto the VIP list.

    My answer to Mordred is that he sucked. If some cannibalistic demon-spider offspring came at me and my friends, I'd be like "Screw that guy."


    He was the first person he killed? Had killed ?
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

  8. #33
    Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,829
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Maybe Roland had just forgotten to eat because of his excitement upon reaching the last leg of his quest. Hax conjured up memories of baked pastries. Maybe the Tower is really a personal metaphor for the fulfillment of our deepest hungers, spiritually as well as physically. Maybe Gan will wise up and give Roland more than just the Horn of Eld on the next cycle- something a little more satisfying than gunslinger burritos. In this sense, Roland's quest begins and ends will an insatiable appetite. I'm surprised that all of you are surprised by Hax's name. It didn't surprise me...it just made me hungry. I think its possible that the Tower might exist in some universe as a mega pizza place in a field of pepperoni. "Ka like a wind of Old Bay seasoning." In this universe, the cancellation of Emeril would be the event that caused the world to "move on."

  9. #34
    Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,829
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Mordred was a hongry, but we must remember that Roland apparently was too.

  10. #35
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    "the Tower might exist in some universe as a mega pizza place in a field of pepperoni." - literally?

    Roland would have understood.

  11. #36
    Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,829
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    "the Tower might exist in some universe as a mega pizza place in a field of pepperoni." - literally?
    Most def.

  12. #37
    Traveler nusik is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default Why didn't Roland.....?

    Why didn't he cry Patrick Danville's name? I mean, without him Roland never would have made it to the Tower. To ME, he was even more important to the series than Susannah, to ME. idk. thoughts?

  13. #38
    The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,137
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    He wasn't going to the Tower for Patrick. He was going to the Tower for and because of all the other people he named.

  14. #39
    Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,829
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    What Monte said. Patrick wasn't a sacrifice.

  15. #40
    Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    48
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    The list of names he would need to call would require a data base of all of SK's characters. From Carrie White to whoever the least character of Duma Key (which i haven't got to yet) is... they are all a part of the mythos and make up of The Dark Tower. Patrick was one of a multitude. I personally was pissed that he didn't cry out Jack Sawyer.

  16. #41
    The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,137
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Childe 007 View Post
    The list of names he would need to call would require a data base of all of SK's characters. From Carrie White to whoever the least character of Duma Key (which i haven't got to yet) is... they are all a part of the mythos and make up of The Dark Tower. Patrick was one of a multitude. I personally was pissed that he didn't cry out Jack Sawyer.
    I couldn't disagree more. While nearly all of King's work can be said to be part of the mythos of The Dark Tower, the characters within them are not the reason Roland goes to the Tower. That is why they don't matter and he need not cry their names.

  17. #42
    DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,451
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. While nearly all of King's work can be said to be part of the mythos of The Dark Tower, the characters within them are not the reason Roland goes to the Tower. That is why they don't matter and he need not cry their names.
    Yeah, its about the folk throughout his life that made him who he was.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

    "When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

  18. #43
    Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,829
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Hax, was definitely the most important name.

  19. #44
    Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Catskill New York
    Posts
    2,030
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I tend to agree with Monte.

  20. #45
    Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    48
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Childe 007 View Post
    The list of names he would need to call would require a data base of all of SK's characters. From Carrie White to whoever the least character of Duma Key (which i haven't got to yet) is... they are all a part of the mythos and make up of The Dark Tower. Patrick was one of a multitude. I personally was pissed that he didn't cry out Jack Sawyer.
    I couldn't disagree more. While nearly all of King's work can be said to be part of the mythos of The Dark Tower, the characters within them are not the reason Roland goes to the Tower. That is why they don't matter and he need not cry their names.
    Roland goes because he has to. Which make the "roll call" irrevelant. It could be any... It could be ALL..

  21. #46
    DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,451
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Childe 007 View Post
    Roland goes because he has to. Which make the "roll call" irrevelant. It could be any... It could be ALL..
    The Calling the Names part isn't irrelevant, Mr. I'm Not As Think As You Drunk I Am.
    He's honoring those who were sacrificed on his quest and those who made him who he is, as he has promised to do many times before.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

    "When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

  22. #47
    The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,137
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Well said CK. Well said.

  23. #48
    Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,829
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Hear, Hear.

  24. #49
    Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    48
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Childe 007 View Post
    Roland goes because he has to. Which make the "roll call" irrevelant. It could be any... It could be ALL..
    The Calling the Names part isn't irrelevant, Mr. I'm Not As Think As You Drunk I Am.
    He's honoring those who were sacrificed on his quest and those who made him who he is, as he has promised to do many times before.
    RIGHT!

  25. #50
    DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,451
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I want three................




    dozen



    of whatever Childe's been knocking down tonight...
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

    "When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts