Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Which Comics Did You Read As A Kid?

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Which Comics Did You Read As A Kid?

Hello, question-time:

Which comic-books did you read as a kid?

For me, it was always the X-Men comics and Batman. I loved 'em.

But the storylines that stand out (and will always be my favorites) were Batman's Knightfall (The Breaking of the Bat) and The Death Of Superman.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I remember Death of Superman coming out when I was in college. When I was a kid, the best comic was Power Pack. And before that, Marvel's Star Wars. Louise Simonson, FTW!
    The old "Harvey" comics -- Casper and Richie Rich. The Carl Barks Donald Ducks and Walt Kelly's Pogo. Many others.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

A lot.
    Uncanny X-men
    X-men
    New Mutants(then X-Force after it changed)
    X-Factor
    I had all of the Death of Superman and Rise of the Supermen stuff.
    Youngblood
    Sandman
    The Punisher
    Punisher War Journal
    Wolverine
    Ghost Rider
    Amazing Spiderman
    Poison Elves
    Elfquest

I used to go to flea markets with my mom and find tons of cheap comics. This mom and pop gas station near my house was ran by a lady who was selling off her son's comics five for a dollar. I was always loaded uip with comics. I still have a few boxes of them. Some are bagged and boarded, some are not. I was never much of an intense collector, though. I just loved reading them(and still do).

One of my favorite story arcs as a young lad was the X-Crossover X-tinction Agenda. It ran through Uncanny X-men, X-Factor and New Mutants. I still have a couple stray issues, but they are beat up badly because I read them over and over.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Subscribed to:
    Captain America
    Fantastic Four
    Xmen
    Spiderman
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

For me it was:

Uncanny X-Men
    New Mutants
    ElfQuest
    Groo
    The Punisher
    Sgt. Rock (? cannot quite remember if this name is right)
    Conan (B&W Magazine and Comics)
    Blue Beetle

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Sgt. Rock (? cannot quite remember if this name is right)
    Well, there certainly was a Sgt. Rock. First appeared in 1959. Led the men of "Easy Company." Then at Marvel there was Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos. Many others.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

The Adventures of Tin-Tin... guess was more of a graphic novel as was a hardback series from the library.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Tintin is awesome. Also, Asterix.

Man. Back when, I remember asking my cousin, (all wide-eyed) "How can Submariner and Aquaman both be king?" This was well before Secret Wars and the big D.C. reboots. I used to totally dig the "Shazam!" family.

I got the first He-Man comic long before he was on T.V.

The reason The Transformers were not just another Go-Bots is because of real comic book writers Jim Shooter and Denny O'Neil. That's largely forgotten. Just like few people realize that the catchy "Spider-Man, Spider-Man..." song from the original cartoon (you know, that one everybody loves) was totally written just by an editor up there.

And as far as I'm concerned, there hasn't been even one really good Ghost Rider since 1983.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Started reading The Phantom when I was 5 back in Italy and have been reading them of and on since....special shot out to the Micronauts, was a fun story, the toys suxed
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=pathoftheturtle;738710]Tintin is awesome. Also, Asterix.

Spoiler:

BONUS
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Yeah, I remember Death of Superman coming out when I was in college. When I was a kid, the best comic was Power Pack. And before that, Marvel's Star Wars. Louise Simonson, FTW!
    The old "Harvey" comics -- Casper and Richie Rich. The Carl Barks Donald Ducks and Walt Kelly's Pogo. Many others.
    Spoiler:

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I used to read all my brother-in-law's comics that he had boxed up at his house every time I went to visit my sister. He had a lot of different ones.

Cloak and Dagger
    Spiderman
    X-men
    Superman
    Batman

my favorite was the Phoenix saga.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Spelled "Spider-Man" OK, everybody?

A little of that '80s Marvel:
    Spoiler:

And a '70s Bonus:

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

GI Combat issue haunted tank

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As a kid I read The Beano and The Nutty. (For non British members of this board, those are kids anthology comics with a strong comedy bias.) They also used to do a fortnightly comic library issue focussed with longer stories based on a specific character. I've still got a stack of those, although the ordinary comics have since gone. Some great silly stuff among them. (I used to see comics as disposable back then.)

I used to swap my Beanos for my next door neighbours Spiderman comics, although it was his idea and I never really got into them. (Part of the problem then was the multi-part story nature of those comics. I'd end up reading bits of stories already started.) Actually I've read more Spiderman (and comics in general) as an adult than as a kid!

Oh, and although I only ever bought one Asterix comics, I used to love those as a kid! I used to borrow them from my school library. Great stuff.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

House of Mystery
    House of Secrets
    Ghosts
    Witching Hour
    Tales from the Crypt

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Here's some of my childhood reading that has survived over the years:

There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Like Brainslinger, I was a fan of the Beano. Actually, was a pretty huge fan, back in the day. It wasn't just the new comics I enjoyed, I was also keen on getting reprints of all the old comics - Beano, Dandy, Buzzer, all that stuff. Classics from the Comics, I think it was called. Great fun!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Donald Duck and some local ones
    Wanted list:
    Ubris