Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Dean Koontz--I know, but why not?

Traveler JiMiTHiNG is on a distinguished road

Koontz isn't bad. I have read a lot of his books and really enjoyed them. However they are like chinese food to me. They just do not stick with me long. A month or so after reading them I would be hard pressed to remember. His charters are never very developed. I really enjoyed By the Light of the Moon, and some others. The first Odd book was pretty good, but I feel each one since has been less good. In any case I think he is worth reading but a shadow next to King.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I like many Koontz books,
    Favs are Phantoms, Midnight, Servents of Twilight, Intensity and The Bad Place. That said, there a lot of Koontz novels that you could skip: Coldfire, Sole Survivor, Strange Highways, One Door Away From Heaven, Shadowfires, and Strangers just to name a few.
    I feel like Koontz if too much of a formula writer. There is always a hero, which is almost always a male and usually a cop. This is virtually the same character in every book. There is almost always a damsel in distress, which is nearly the same character in every book, and there is always a chase going on nearly from the first page.
    All else aside, few authors throw you into the action as quickly as Koontz. His character development is weak, but his novels are fast paced. The plot moves along fluidly and I have read many Koontz novels in one sitting. For that reason, I continue to read Koontz when I need a break from more substantial reading. I like Koontz, but it has its place.

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Probably not the best idea to jump onto a thread where some little cowpoke may come along to separate the sheep from the goats, you know, the people who confess their sins (reading Koontz) also put in the usual disclaimer (but I didn't really like him, he is so predictable, he doesn't match up to King,all his books read the same)...goats or sheep?...and those who flat out reject Koontz.

Strangers is a great story. As is Watchers, Twilight Eyes (if you can get past the corny "twilight eyes" bit), Fear Nothing and Seize the Night. Okay, here comes the disclaimer: There's a few that aren't as memorable, maybe it has to do with who makes the title, or something. I'd hazard that you can see a progression from his early stuff to his later stuff, an improvement.

Maybe when it's all said and done someone can have an Inferno Update and go through the thread, assigning the good folk here to the various rings of purgatory based on how well they polled on Koontz.

The Lord of Skytop. Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I really liked the Christopher Snow books Fear Nothing and Seize the Night. I think those were the best ones, I really enjoyed the characters.

Just finished Your Heart Belongs to Me, it was OK, seemed to be dragged out a bit.

Traveler Agathia is on a distinguished road Agathia's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm reading Odd Thomas, first Koontz book, the writing is ok, I am getting into the story. I don't want to say anything bad (since that seems to be the theme of the thread). Especially since I haven't really delved into any of his other books. I don't condone bashing someone if you don't at least know they're about. Just an opinion. So far yeah I'm liking it...
    In this world you have to pay as you go. Usually a lot. Sometimes all you have.
    -spoken by Mike in Storm of the Century

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I started the thread and I'm actually a bit of a Koontz fan

I think the man has his place for sure but like so many have mentioned, fast food as compared to the steak and potatoes that King is.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Traveler Ralford is on a distinguished road

I have read 2 1/2 books by Dean Koontz. The full ones i read, I THINK are The Husband and Velocity. (Alcohol, time, and post-traumatic stress disorder from completing a Koontz book have supressed that memory)

The other one was Twilight Eyes. That has to be the worst compilation of shit ever wiped on a page. I thought i was reading a harlequin romance novel with the flowery writing style. And the storyline was utter trash. That is the 1st and only book I have consciously stopped reading.

His style is way too neat and easy. In the end, everyone is happy, and all the loose ends are tied up. One thing I have learned, being a SK fan, is to use my imagination and not expect the author to do all my thinking for me.

Traveler college_ewok is on a distinguished road college_ewok's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really loved Watchers, Its probably the only one I like.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i might be wrong, but did DK style of writing change when he go rid of the R? All the above Lightening, The Bad place where written as Dean R Koontz, and then he seemed to change to thrillers as opposed to horror.

That said, he is now writing the Odd thomas books which seem to go back to his orginal style of writing. so i'll be quiet now

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I had not even noticed the "R" was gone. I think he is hit and miss these days but I have enjoyed a few of his newer ones.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkslinger View Post
    I really liked the Christopher Snow books Fear Nothing and Seize the Night. I think those were the best ones, I really enjoyed the characters.
    Me too! Best Koontz I have read so far...

Haven't read Odd Thomas -books yet, but they supposed to be good...

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't remember why I picked it up in the first place, but I read The Mask. I thought it was "ok." I happened to mention to my step-grandfather that I might could use a few Koontz paperbacks while stationed in the middle of the desert for the Gulf War.

Well, he sent a box of every single Koontz paperback the bookstore had on the shelf. Which was about 20. I spent the next 6 months reading Koontz Koontz Koontz (and some Clive Barker).

I really liked Phantoms, Watchers, Twilight Eyes, Whispers, Strangers, and maybe a few others (they get sort of jumbled up in my head at this point). When I got back to the states I read some more. Hideaway was really good.

I think the last one I read was about some guy who couldn't go out in the sunlight. Haven't read anything he's written in the last oh, about 15 years I guess.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I've read alot of dean koontz and I feel he's a very hit or miss writer, on one hand he can create some of the most harrowing intense action/ chase sequences ever put on the page, but when it comes to developing characters he's fairly heavy handed, no subtlety to them every once it a while though he comes out with something truly amazing, Servants Of Twilight (and the movie with bruce greenwood based on it) is excellant as is Intensity but alot of his stuff is very meh, lightning fizzled out at the end of it as did midnight, though the scene in that where the monster is hiding IN the trunk of the girls car who thinks she's escaped was EPIC, Twilight eyes is shitterific especially for such an interesting concept...
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Gunslinger Apprentice ErinPatricia is on a distinguished road ErinPatricia's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Im re-reading Strangers now, and Im having the hardest time getting through it.
    I lurk, therefore I am.

John F. Kennedy ConstanToweReader is on a distinguished road

I'm a Koontz fan, but haven't loved every book by him. My favorites Dark Rivers of the Heart, Strangers, Watchers, Whispers, Twilight Eyes, Hideway, Intensity, there are others. I recently read your Heart Belongs to Me and didn't really car much for it. I have several of his in my bookshelves to read.

Traveler scottish_rogue is on a distinguished road scottish_rogue's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My stepmom is really into Dean Koontz. She wrote him a letter and he sent her a signed copy of "The Face".

Gunslinger Apprentice TLC is on a distinguished road TLC's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

The only one I really like is Dark Rivers of the Heart.
    The first Odd book is ok too.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I liked Odd Thomas too. However, I find him to be very formulaic.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Gunslinger Apprentice ErinPatricia is on a distinguished road ErinPatricia's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

yeah, never finished Strangers, just couldnt.

Picked up Midnight at work though, and Im enjoying it so far. I cant remember how long ago I read it.
    I lurk, therefore I am.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    The only one I really like is Dark Rivers of the Heart.
    Of those I've read so far, I really liked only that one too.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Haven't read Dark River's of the Heart yet. If the bear liked it, I will give it a go.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hope you won't regret it! It's one of the rare books where he manifests actual sense of humor, something I could have hardly expected of him.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I view Koontz as like a made-for-TV-movie. Cheesy, but sometimes entertaining. I never expect anything too substantial.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice Cort is on a distinguished road Cort's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read alot of his books when i was younger, before igot into Kings. I always liked Servents of twilight, Hideaway and REALLY enjoyed Twilight eyes

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Servants of Twilight was definitely my favorite. Its the only Koontz book I have ever reread. I havent read Hideaway or Twilight eyes, but have heard good things about those two. My other favs are The Bad Place, Midnight, Intensity, Phantoms, and maybe Icebound. Most of Koontz, I enjoy over the day or two that it takes to read them, and then I promptly forget about them. For the most part, they are not very memorable.
    Sloth Love Chunk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast