Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dean Koontz--I know, but why not?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Dean Koontz--I know, but why not?

The last one I read was "The Husband" not nearly as good as "Velocity" but okay.

I kind of consider his books like a Die Hard movie. Not much story but engaging enough for the price.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I am a big fan of the ODD THOMAS series (three so far) of Koontz books.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I really liked Intensity, but the rest of his books i'm kinda "meh" on. I haven't read the Odd Thomas series though and I have heard good stuff about them.

This thread reminds me of something on an animated show I saw once (I think it was on the Family Guy but i'm not postive). A guy is driving in his car and he hits a guy. He frantically jumps out and says "Oh my god! Are you Stephen King" and all banged up the guy says "No, I'm Dean Koontz". The guy immediately jumps back in his car and proceeds to back over the guy again before driving off. I almost cried I was laughing so hard.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

That was Family Guy, and it was Brian (the dog) driving the car.

I have only read two books, Demon Seed and another one that was something lighting. they sucked.

Going from SK to DK to me is like going from beer to wine coolers. It sucks.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

When I was a kid I didn't like reading. Kootz made me love reading. I was hooked on his books however before that I had read once in a blue moon.
    Once we were shopping in a plaza with my family when one of his books hit me. I loved the title and I bought it. I read it and I couldn't put it down.
    So I will love and respect him even if I feel there are many writers who are closer to my heart now.

And I mustn't forget that once I didn't find any new books by him in the bookstore and THAT's why I bought the DT because the title seemed to be nice - anyway I wasn't happy with it at all.
    If on that that I would have found a new Kootz book maybe I wouldn't be here right now because I would have never read the DT.

Roland would have understood.

Along the Path of the Beam Fishonabike is on a distinguished road Fishonabike's Avatar

I love a lot of Koontz novels... Lightning, Dragon Tears, The Odd Thomas books, Twilight Eyes, to name a few.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Same here, I believe his stuff can be pretty good. He's like the Nora Roberts of suspense.

Gunslinger Apprentice ErinPatricia is on a distinguished road ErinPatricia's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to agree with Letti!

I have always loved Koontz, He is one of the reasons Im such a voracious reader today. I literally devoured his books when I discovered him.
    Some of his stuff is getting hackneyed though,
    Superintelligent dogs only take me so far in a story.
    BUT
    Lightening,Phantoms, Intensity, and Watchers are some of my favorite books
    I lurk, therefore I am.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Intensity is one of my top 5 of all time.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a big Koontz fan as well. I think King is highly superior, but that doesn't mean I still don't like Koontz. I also like that he puts humor into his novels, like Odd Thomas or Life Expectancy. I've always felt humor and horror can be a good mix.

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm in the middle of Icebound, but it's currently on hold while I read something else. Anyone read Shattered?? That was a decent Koontz book.
    In Digitized Remorse

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought Shattered was pretty good. I think its been nice that some of his recent ones feel like stories I have not read before.

no super smart dog for instance.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    ... I also like that he puts humor into his novels, like Odd Thomas or Life Expectancy. I've always felt humor and horror can be a good mix.
    I agree. That's one of the reason that I like the Odd Thomas books so much.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice David is on a distinguished road David's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fishonabike View Post
    I love a lot of Koontz novels... Lightning, Dragon Tears, The Odd Thomas books, Twilight Eyes, to name a few.
    Holy cow, Fish! Lightning, Dragon Tears & Twilight Eyes are probably my three favorite Koontz books of all time! Those and Whispers... and Watchers...

OK... I pretty much love must of his catalogue...

Most of the people I know IRL that love King are also Koontz fans to some extent. The first time I ever heard of any 'rivalry' between the two was some thread over at TDT.net.

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I'm also a fan of the Odd one. I'm looking forward to the next book in that series.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by VolsToTheWall View Post
    I'm also a fan of the Odd one. I'm looking forward to the next book in that series.
    Now I really feel I will have to buy them quickly. I have been planning to buy them for long but it's high time.

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Now I really feel I will have to buy them quickly. I have been planning to buy them for long but it's high time.
    You won't be dissapointed Letti. Odd is my favorite character that Koontz has come up with. I love his unique sense of humor and his perspective on life, and how both translate onto the written page.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read only one Koontz - The Servants of Twilight - and was very disappointed. The idea was good, but the writing was so poor, I hardly finished it. Maybe I should try something different? I recently read three novels by Graham Masterton, one was quite unreadable, another passable, while the other (Mirror) next door to great. It could very well be the case with Koontz, too, I think I'll try again.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I found Velocity to be the best of his new ones.

The Husband was dry and flat.

imo of course

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    You won't be dissapointed Letti. Odd is my favorite character that Koontz has come up with. I love his unique sense of humor and his perspective on life, and how both translate onto the written page.
    I think tomorrow I will have some free time and I am going to buy it.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I don't know you, but I like you already.

Country
    Country Flag

*sigh*
    I tried to buy it the first book of the Odd series yesterday but it's not so easy in Hungary. I will go to another bookstore because in that one the shop assistant started to laugh when I asked if they had Kootz books. *shrug*

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm back and forth on Koontz. Some of his stuff I love, some of his stuff (Winter Moon being the best example) leaves me totally flat.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Velocity is the only one I've read. He has an easy style to read, although I found him to be a little cliched in parts. I've been recommended to read the Odd books too though, so I may be book store hunting like Letti soon

Traveler Jen is on a distinguished road Jen's Avatar

I like quite a few of Koontz's books...but there are quite a few that I've found to be lacking, too. Its been quite a while since I've read any (most recent may have been Odd Thomas), but I'll inevitably pick him up again, I'm sure.

I don't like him as much as King, but he's good for a little break now & then when I get sick of reading SK for a while and can't find anything else.
    "As Jake neared this clump of alien grass, the rose began to open before his eyes. It disclosed a dark scarlet furnace, petal upon secret petal, each burning with its own secret fury..."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast