Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Different For Susannah?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Awwwwwwwwwwwww Gan was only falling for Roland....
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    You are right, we won't agree on that

Doesn't she even ask Roland why he is going on and it is simply to see the thing? Isn't that his whole point? To climb the tower?

I am almost totally sure he was asked that question and said he was going regardless.
    I thought his intention was to climb to the top to see what was there because he suspected someting was wrong there. I surmise he thought he could or should try to fix it.

I agree with you that the Tower he actually enters is his and his alone.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I always gathered that he was going to the top simply because that was the point of his quest.

I'll have to re read that bit but I am almost sure that is the case.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I think he was torn between wanting to save the Tower and to climb to the top room, priorities wise. In his heart of hearts reaching the Tower and climbing to the top seemed to win out though.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

I really believe that Tower was only falling for Roland, not existence.
    What are the metaphysical ramifications of this? We see that there is a Tower, that there is a CK, that there are Breakers. So by this view, if the Breakers succeeded and the Tower fell, what would happen? Would Roland just die and everything else stay the same?

Definitely, the Dark Tower was falling. Period.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I really believe that Tower was only falling for Roland, not existence.
    What are the metaphysical ramifications of this? We see that there is a Tower, that there is a CK, that there are Breakers. So by this view, if the Breakers succeeded and the Tower fell, what would happen? Would Roland just die and everything else stay the same?
    I may be taking this too far but we have already conceded that the Tower could be different for everyone. So if that is the case, then its easy for me to believe the "manifestation" that Roland encountered was "his Tower"

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

But all the people who acknowledged that the world was moving on, felt it too. If the Tower was falling for Roland only, I think it would have made the whole tale a bit null and void.

I think the experience of being inside the Tower is different for everyone, but its a universal lynchpin of existance in its entireity.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thats not what I mean though, I understand the Tower was falling and everyone felt it but remember..."everyone" was in Rolands loop no?

I'm not sure how to explain this, its just a gut feeling. If people die in your dream, it is still your dream.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Roland is the Gan of the Tower...? *is unsure* sorry but this was my first thought as I read your last post, Matt.

Roland would have understood.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, I see where you're coming from and thats an interesting perspective...but I don't share it

I really want to believe that Roland finds peace at the top of the Tower one day, but his quest also seems to stand for the eternal struggle between good and evil, ka is a wheel and all that.
    So, if it were the case that the Tower was only falling for Roland, I'd have to argue that that would make Roland our reality (ie, he and the CK are as integral to life as the sun and the moon and Roland's quest could take generations each time) - rather than we being metaphorical figments of Roland's imagination, on his particular level of the Tower.

Did that make sense?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I think when Sai King put himself into the story he wanted to us =or to himself) know that this whole thing is much much bigger than Roland... it's about all of us.
    That's how I felt.

Roland would have understood.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That does make sense, even though I don't agree

This was really hard for me you guys, the reason I gravitated towards this story so fully was because it was a quest for all of existence (or so it seemed)

Now, after all these years and the end of the story. I am beginning to believe that the Tower is strictly about Roland and the only way to keep it from falling (salvation for Rolands world) is for him to not go there again.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh the paradoxes!! I believed that too...like utterly the first couple of times I read the series. But now I believe its the way in which he acts to others/himself/choices in general that will be his salvation upon reaching the tower.

Like we've discussed before I think saving Jake initially is the key. So, perhaps in Roland's mind this means crying off - but I still believe he'd reach it in the end, because its his ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    So, if it were the case that the Tower was only falling for Roland, I'd have to argue that that would make Roland our reality (ie, he and the CK are as integral to life as the sun and the moon and Roland's quest could take generations each time) - rather than we being metaphorical figments of Roland's imagination, on his particular level of the Tower.

Did that make sense?
    Not only does it make sense Lisa, but it is VERY close to how I see things given the ending. As a comparative religion nut, I was THRILLED with the cyclical implications of the ending. At that point Roland crossed over into the world of "mythical" characters, which is why I believe there is no "salvation" for Roland, the Tower is ALWAYS in danger and Roland ALWAYS saves it. I am a long way from interpreting each metaphor, but I agree that Roland and his worlds are the metaphor, not the other way around.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you, I respect your opinion alot from your posts so far, so that was much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Thank you, I respect your opinion alot from your posts so far, so that was much appreciated
    Right back at you.

Gunslinger Apprentice R.F. is on a distinguished road R.F.'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a feeling that had Suse not renounced the Tower, she would have ended up taking a Sneetch to the face. Possibly to wake up in the snow to accept hot chocolate from some handsome guy with hazel eyes and a little brother.
    Flip-flop, hippety-hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life’s a fiction and the world’s a lie, so put on some Creedence and let’s get high.- The Great Sage and Eminent Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by R.F. View Post
    I have a feeling that had Suse not renounced the Tower, she would have ended up taking a Sneetch to the face. Possibly to wake up in the snow to accept hot chocolate from some handsome guy with hazel eyes and a little brother.
    And what would be wrong with that? Eddie took a bullet to the face. Jake took a minivan to the face. Oy took on Spider-Brat. Why did Susannah just get to say "screw you guys, I'm going home"?

Gunslinger Apprentice R.F. is on a distinguished road R.F.'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am not sure, but I felt like it was slightly cheap. Perhaps it was to make up for the horrible way that Susan Delgado was dealt her fate?
    Flip-flop, hippety-hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life’s a fiction and the world’s a lie, so put on some Creedence and let’s get high.- The Great Sage and Eminent Junkie

Along the Path of the Beam childeluke is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

If you look at it another way, Susannah has died several times(as several different people). For some reason or another ka saw fit to remove her from Roland's life. Also, do you believe Roland would be introduced as Eddie and Jakes father later on, already possibly deceased?

Quote Originally Posted by childeluke View Post
    If you look at it another way, Susannah has died several times(as several different people).
    Metaphorically, sure. Jake, on the other hand, died physically several times. What makes Susannah so special that she can renounce the Tower and "walk" away?

Also, do you believe Roland would be introduced as Eddie and Jakes father later on, already possibly deceased?
    Personally I do not, but that's because I don't believe Roland will be freed from the loop. As for their deceased father, I don't think so either. The metaphysical implications of that would be that there is more than one Roland, which I don't believe.

Still, it's an interesting question and I wonder what some of the other folks here think about it.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    If you look at it another way, Susannah has died several times(as several different people).
    Metaphorically, sure. Jake, on the other hand, died physically several times. What makes Susannah so special that she can renounce the Tower and "walk" away?

Maybe, it was her reward for renouncing the tower and walking away?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Susan gets to live this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

Maybe, it was her reward for renouncing the tower and walking away?
    Right, but that was my original point [I think]. If Eddie, Jake & Oy all got the same reward for standing true to the end that Susannah got for crying off, what's the point?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast