Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: Why Different For Susannah?

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Yours is the post of the year, Linda.
    Second that..........give her the goose!!

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Delah View Post
    Good point, Letti. And see, its pure speculation at this point. Jake going with Roland to the Tower opens up a bunch of different scenarios of what might/could/would have happened.

I personally dont think Jake would have ever entered the Tower. My best guess would be that Jake gets killed (again!) by Mordred right after the confrontation with the Crimson King. Roland would still have to make a choice between Jake's life and the Tower but he would have to do it with the Tower right before him. Roland would make his choice but both Jake and Mordred and Oy die. Roland enters the Tower with nothing left to live for and ... well, we all know what happens next. That's just my "what if" scenario, but I like yours too, even if they're both very depressing.
    As long as Roland can't give up the Tower every ending is depressing. IMHO
    So you imagine that something else exists which is not disappointing, or that a way of life is possible which is not fundamentally tragic and horrible?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Delah View Post
    Good point, Letti. And see, its pure speculation at this point. Jake going with Roland to the Tower opens up a bunch of different scenarios of what might/could/would have happened.

I personally dont think Jake would have ever entered the Tower. My best guess would be that Jake gets killed (again!) by Mordred right after the confrontation with the Crimson King. Roland would still have to make a choice between Jake's life and the Tower but he would have to do it with the Tower right before him. Roland would make his choice but both Jake and Mordred and Oy die. Roland enters the Tower with nothing left to live for and ... well, we all know what happens next. That's just my "what if" scenario, but I like yours too, even if they're both very depressing.
    As long as Roland can't give up the Tower every ending is depressing. IMHO
    So you imagine that something else exists which is not disappointing, or that a way of life is possible which is not fundamentally tragic and horrible?
    yes

Roland would have understood.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

yes indeed

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

And you're certain that the Tower is unrelated to that?

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i was thinking about this, i know i haven't read the book yet. but my brother did tell me what happend to the characters. i didn't ask him but he told me anyways, so that's why i'm there. even if i haven't read the whole series yet. anyways my guess why she was saved?

if "Roland" is stuck going to the tower repeatly over & over. maybe he was a guy who made a LOT of mistakes, & someone maybe? came to him & said you have a chance to make things right & you will keep going to your tower until you get it right. now this is maybe shit that "SK" didn't write yet ?

perhaps? cause if he did write it it'd spoil the end of the series. unless he wrote outside of the series a short story or something. anyways,

i think each time he reaches the tower, he gets better at fixing the mistakes he's made in his life. & i think that's why "Susannah" lived cause it was his reward for doing something right this time. & his other reward was the horn of eld. i think at some point he will do stuff better in his life. fix

more mistakes. but the downside is he doesn't remember what mistakes he did make. my only questions is why does he keep returning to the chase for Walter? you would think he's return to his past with this Original Ka-Tet & maybe get to Save Susan. maybe he made the most mistakes during his quest with the 2nd "Ka-Tet' ?

i think it'd be interesting if at some point "SK" does a book that talks a bit about this. but i doubt he will, i also have no idea how in the sam hell

he'd write? i mean where in the series would it fit? certainally not with "Eddie & the rest of them. cause that stories is told. & it wouldn't be when he was with his child hood friends either cause he would have remembered that at some point. what do you guys & gals think? i didn't put any spoiler tag on it cause it just didn't seem like it needed to be cause of the thread title

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yar, there's no need to tag spoilers in the DT7 forum.
    I like your post. I don't think it's a reward solely for Roland that made Susannah's ending different. I just don't think that life has to be tragic for everyone.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

well i agree on that. & thankee sai that's the only thing i could think of for any of that to make any kind of sense ya know?

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    Oh yeah!! I thought it was just me. I felt jaded by Susannah's reaction. How could she leave Roland after they had come so far together? Why should everyone abandon him? Poor Oy even abandoned him in a sense. He only defended Roland because he knew it would please Jake (my interpretation).
    Yep that was my only gripe about Susannah's reaction. It was like well since my love Eddie is dead and now Jake is dead bye Roland. Nice knowing ya! Then proceeds through a door to Eddie/Jake not really knowing WTH she is but they had dreams of her. In W&G Roland suggested they dropped the quest, they all said no and wasn't it Marten in the land of OZ who asked the ka tet to give up the quest and before Roland responded, the ka tet answered no? So basically Susannah really didn't believe in the quest. She just liked the fact in Roland's world she found love with Eddie and without him, she was oh well your on your own now Roland, peace out.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think Susannah caught the Tower-bug too, at least for a while. Not as much as Eddie and Jake, who I believe would have continued on to the Tower, had either of them been the last person standing (apart from Roland, I mean. Actually, if Roland had copped it and Eddie survived, I think he would have continued too.)

That being said, I don't see Susannah was wrong in stepping away from the quest. Some have argued that maybe Roland should too. I'm not sure I agree (I think it will always be Roland ka to go to the Tower, until the final loop... should that ever happen,) but I can surely see their point. Her attitude was a lot to be desired though. I didn't see her leaving as an act of betrayal though. I'm sure she would have stuck with him had she not had the dreams of Eddie and Jake. The fact she had them meant she was being called elsewhere, and following that lead was the best thing to do.

I do find it interesting that people dislike Susannah settling (in their eyes) for that alternate New York though. Maybe I'm a great big sentimentalist, but I found that whole scene magical and captivating (although I wasn't so keen on her throwing the gun into the bin).

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, it doesn't really fit this thread but I don't feel like opening a new thread for my thoughts.

I will soon finish rereading the last book of the series and I must say I have totally changed my opinion about Susannah's choice. When I first read this book I was incredibly angry with her leaving Roland behind. I felt she had the choice.. but I needed to read the whole book (and the whole series) again to realize she didn't. She had no place next to Roland at the Tower. Not this time.
    At least that's how I think now.
    And my anger against her has decreased a lot.

Roland would have understood.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree, with the play out of the cycle that we were allowed to view, she had no place near him at the end of the tower. I also feel that when the time comea that the ka-tet does stand whole at the tower, that will not be their end point. The tower no represents the continuing of the journey, never ment to be an end.
    Thoughts?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I believe the journey will end, when all the ka-tet enters the Tower or the Crimson King destroys the Tower. I think there is a possibility for both to happen.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Traveler Lady Santos will become famous soon enough Lady Santos's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Apologies if this has been talked about previously, I did not happen to see it. I do not abide by Susannah's decision to leave Roland, but when thinking again about why she did this, I remembers in W&G when Roland was retelling of his first version in the Grapefruit of the Tower, and how he told Bert and Alain that he would choose Susan "in a second" except that the Tower was falling, and how he was going to tell her that they were done and that she had to move on. I think this scared Susannah, and stuck with her. She saw how Susan's death affected everything that Roland was and became for the rest of his many years, and that it terrified her to think that Eddie or she may feel the same about the Tower, to the point of sacrificing their love for each other. This is also the reason why I don't believe it is just Mia who does not want to enter the lot at 42nd in WOtC--she was also afraid to see the rose for this reason.

Traveler Lady Santos will become famous soon enough Lady Santos's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

gah *remember and *vision, not version. Apologies, all. :-P

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Santos View Post
    <...>I remembers in W&G when Roland was retelling of his first version in the Grapefruit of the Tower, and how he told Bert and Alain that he would choose Susan "in a second" except that the Tower was falling, and how he was going to tell her that they were done and that she had to move on. I think this scared Susannah, and stuck with her. She saw how Susan's death affected everything that Roland was and became for the rest of his many years, and that it terrified her to think that Eddie or she may feel the same about the Tower, to the point of sacrificing their love for each other.<...>
    This is great. I didn't even think of it before, but it fits perfectly well into my own Susannah Apology.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler SDZald will become famous soon enough SDZald will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

The Jake and Eddie Suzz goes to, IMO, is NOT the "real" Jake and Eddie. Suzz's Jake and Eddie are DEAD and waiting at the clearing at the end of the path. The Jake and Eddie Suzz goes to are just "other world" people. To me that is what really sours me on Suzz, she knows this to be true yet she goes to them anyway. Don't get me wrong, I think she understands that the quest is finished, that the Tower is already saved. I would not had a problem with her telling that straight up to Roland then departing. But instead she goes to a a world that is NOT hers and to people who are NOT Jake and Eddie. Very sad departure if you ask me.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

But she feels she as to take Eddie ans Roland to the end.

The symbolic bundling Eddie to the elements...do you remember?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Another reason why I'm hesitant to rererad the series... the conclusion to Susannah's involvement in the quest was handled very poorly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15