Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower Companion

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Default The Dark Tower Companion

I'm currently working with the copy-edited manuscript of my third book, The Dark Tower Companion, to be published by New American Library (Penguin) in April. This massive companion is 50% longer than The Road to the Dark Tower. It covers not only the eight books of King's series, but also the Marvel graphic novel adaptations. I interviewed King for the book, along with Robin Furth, Richard Isanove (colorist), Peter David (script), Jae Lee (artist) and most of the subsequent artists. I also, much to my great delight, got to talk with Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman about how they plan to adapt the series. Click on the smaller image below to see a full-sized version of the great cover by Spanish artist Nekro.

AN ALL-NEW COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO ONE OF THE MOST BRILLIANTLY CONSTRUCTED WORLDS IN ALL OF FICTION

Stephen King’s bestselling multi-volume Dark Tower series is the author’s most inspired and imaginative creation. The story of Roland Deschain of Gilead, the last gunslinger, and his lifelong quest to reach the tower and save humanity across infinite parallel worlds is one that has consumed King throughout his career as characters and concepts crossed back and forth between the series and the rest of his fictional universe. The mythos continues to be chronicled and expanded in graphic novels overseen by King, interactive adventures on his website, a proposed film adaptation, and in a new Dark Tower novel.

The Dark Tower Companion is the ultimate compendium to King’s evolving magnum opus, presenting the mythology, history, and geography of this epic fantasy that has captivated generations of readers. Featuring interviews with Stephen King, Ron Howard, Dark Tower expert Robin Furth and others, Bev Vincent reveals The Dark Tower’s influential literary origins, examines its connections to the vast majority of King’s other novels, explores the expanded universe, catalogs the major characters, locations and concepts, and includes a travel guide to the story’s real-world locations, giving fans who have followed Roland’s journey—or those who are discovering it for the first time—a fascinating overview of the series and an inside look at the creative process of one of the world’s most popular authors.

Publisher: NAL Trade (April 2, 2013)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 0451237994
    ISBN-13: 978-0451237996
    560 pages | trade paperback | Kindle eBook

Gunslinger Apprentice you ever seen a ghost? is on a distinguished road

does this book reprint King's snyopses, King's newsgroup post of the 1983 letter to you?

thanks!

-justin

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

No -- that was in The Road to the Dark Tower, not here. This is all new content.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Looking forward to this!

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Everyone please order using these links:

trade paperback Kindle eBook

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Will you be getting your own copies? Id like to get a signed copy if that was at all possible.

Also, any chance your short stories will ever be collected?

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent cover! Looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Will you be getting your own copies? Id like to get a signed copy if that was at all possible.

Also, any chance your short stories will ever be collected?
    I'll be getting a few copies, but probably not enough to sell. I have a PO box where books can be sent to be signed -- see http://www.bevvincent.com/contact/

I'm hoping to get a novel or two published before I do a short story collection. But thanks for asking -- I've had offers to do one, but I've turned them down so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Excellent cover! Looking forward to this.
    I always open the file containing the cover art with trepidation, but so far I haven't been let down. I like this work a lot. Guy's name is Nekro: http://nekroxiii.deviantart.com/?rnrd=2470

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks amazing !!!
    (Are there any infos about a translated German version?)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why no hardcover? I believe the first one was also a paperback.

Market analysis tells the publisher the best way to release books like these. Road to the Dark Tower sold very well as a trade paperback. That's not to say that there won't be SOME kind of hardcover edition...

Too early to say anything about foreign editions. Those publishers want to see the finished MS first and I'm still handling copy edits.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

A perfect edition to my ever growin Dark Tower Related Books Collection! If this book is half as good as "The Road..." then it will be a smash hit!

Congratulations Bev!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Thanks! Here's an interview I did about the book for an Italian King fan page. Didn't know I spoke Italian so well, did you?!

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    That's not to say that there won't be SOME kind of hardcover edition...
    That's good to hear, I hope CD does a S/L for this one as well.
    I'm looking forward to reading this one.
    Mark Twain

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Very exciting news and looks great. I'm curious as to why the depiction of the Dark Tower as a cathedral for the cover? Or is that not supposed to be the Dark Tower?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bev can answer best, but I looked at a larger version of the image and it looks like the top of the Tower with the lower portion shrouded in clouds. Is is however very cathedral looking.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Except that
    End of the series spoilers
    Eh, it's just a nit-picky curiosity of mine that's all. No big deal. I can't wait until this book comes out, I will be ordering it on Amazon.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

It is the top of the tower, but I told the publisher that I wasn't opposed to a stylized rendition rather than something that is absolutely literal. I provided the various descriptions from the text, but gave my blessing to create something representative instead.

I've never been able to wrap my head around the description of the oriel window.

The oriel window as I understand it is really multiple round windows of different colors.

Yep, but I've never been able to visualize that. Is it a window that faces in only direction, or is it visible from any approach, for example? If so, how does that work. And are they concentric circles? Because one is described as "innermost."

I pictured it as going around the top of the tower so depending on which direction you're coming from you would see different colors. From Rolands direction the innermost one was the black window. Innermost meaning middle from his perspective.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post
    ... from his perspective.
    Doubtful, as this line reflects the central control shown by Black 13.

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post
    ... from his perspective.
    Doubtful, as this line reflects the central control shown by Black 13.
    Hunh?

Let me make sure I understand you. Are you saying when he says "Innermost" when describing the black oriel window that you don't think he is describing it from his perspective walking towards the Tower? What else would he be meaning?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast