Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My experiences with Donald M. Grant Inc.

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Default My experiences with Donald M. Grant Inc.

Below are the reasons that I don't want to see DMG get another SK book--especially a new novel involving new material and doubly so if that edition would be the world first.

I remember people criticizing Scribner regarding their S/Ls but they did an incredible job in comparison to what Grant did with The Wind Through The Keyhole.

Please feel free to share your experience as well--good, or bad.

To Mr. Stephen King and anyone else it may concern,

As a preface, I am a fairly new collector compared to some—though I am seasoned enough that I have dealt with a good number of publishers. My first dealing with DMG involving a new release was with the release of The Wind Through The Keyhole.

When I first heard news of the new Dark Tower novel I was enamored with the idea of being able to purchase a brand new S/L of the series from the legendary company that started it all. I look back now and see that I had put the company on a bit of a pedestal and I guess that was naïve of me but I just thought it would be a lot of fun to buy these special editions of a brand new novel.

After months spent hunting down a copy of Little Sisters Of Eluria which would allow me to purchase a TWTTK S/L, I was so excited when I placed my order mid-December of 2011. I ordered the S/L, an Artist Edition, and a few other things.

I ordered the AE as many did in order to be able to read this new novel as Grant’s publication was going to be the World First Edition. Friends ordered it as well so we could all get it as soon as possible, and discuss it among ourselves etc.
    What actually ended up happening in the end was much disappointment and the feeling of being cheated.

The release date of February 21, 2012 came and went. Weeks passed by and reports of people receiving their Artist Edition were trickling in on fan forums. Grant released a newsletter asking customers not to bother calling or emailing regarding orders as that only slows down the process. This newsletter was very rude in tone and disrespectful. It became apparent that no copies of the S/L had yet been shipped--even weeks after the official release date--and it was generally assumed that the S/L was as yet unfinished. Those who ordered an artist edition along with the S/L were having to wait to get their AE because Grant wanted to ship them all out together. Customers were never warned of this shipping procedure when placing orders and many who ordered the very expensive S/L were greatly disappointed by this.
    More weeks passed by. The Scribner trade release date of April 24 came and still no word from Grant and no order received. It’s safe to say that many anxious readers ordered the AE for the sole purpose of being able to read the new stories as soon as possible, so this was extremely disappointing for them.

I stubbornly refused to email or call Grant regarding my order. They don’t want annoying customers calling them? Fine. Let’s see how well they operate with this unprofessional policy theirs. Of course all this time I’m wondering if maybe there was a mix-up with my order. Still, I kept my mouth shut and did not bother the people at Grant with my concern regarding my order—now nearing 10 weeks past publication date, 2 weeks past trade release date, and 5 months past the original order date…

It is the second week of May when members of TheDarkTower.org are gleefully reporting the receipt of their AE which they had ordered less than 2 weeks beforehand… and with that news I could maintain silence no longer. I emailed Grant asking where my order is and TWO weeks later I finally get a reply from Karen claiming that she had been waiting for me to provide a picture of the limitation page of my book (which I had already done way back in January).

So there was a problem with my order after all—something that a simple moment of communication could have cleared up if not for this ridiculous request of theirs that basically said DON’T BOTHER US.

A few emails bounce back and forth between myself and Karen and I bite my tongue, don’t complain and finally on May 29 she tells me that she has the clarification she needed [she found the email with the attached image after I provided the date and time it was sent], so I assume I will be receiving my order soon then, right? Not quite…

On June 9, with no more emails from Karen and still no order I email her again, now demanding to know where my order is. I tell her how ridiculous it is that other people are receiving orders that they placed 6 MONTHS after mine. 2 days later I get an email stating nothing more than that my order is going out that day via Media Mail. 11 days after that I finally received my order… and it was not a happy day.

My S/L had a dogeared dust jacket corner and the damaged endpapers that some reported and posted pictures of online. Knowing that such a scenario is the reason that Publisher Copies are produced, I explain the defect and request a replacement. [If I pay hundreds of dollars for a new book after I had to pay $800 for the copy of LSOE just for the rights to buy this book, it had better be NEW…]

17 days pass before I receive a reply from Robert Weiner stating that Karen is on vacation. He tells me that he cannot send me a replacement because all of the S/L books were damaged in this way (which I know to be false). He also tells me that if I send the book in they can use markers to try to repair the damage. [Markers?!?]

Shocked by this lie and appalled by the idea of using markers to “repair” the book I flat-out tell Robert that I know at least one other customer has received a replacement copy for a damaged book and I would like a replacement copy.

7 days pass before I receive a reply from Karen telling me that I would be receiving a replacement. 8 days later I receive an AE rather than the S/L replacement. I email Karen explaining I needed a replacement S/L, not a replacement AE and by some miracle only 2 days pass before Karen gets back to me--apologizing for the mistake and promising to get a replacement S/L out to me right away. A week later—now August 1—I receive an email from Karen stating that the replacement would be one of these “fixed” copies that were “repaired” with markers.

Finally, acknowledging the truth that I would never receive my new condition copy that I had to shell out over a thousand dollars for, I replied to this email by simply stating that any marker technique would only further damage the book and I declined this offer.

On October 10 a newsletter was sent from Grant, advertising a number of Deluxe PC and AE copies of TWTTK that had been remarqued by Jae Lee. I don’t know if any or all of these were “fixed” copies but I never saw a report that they had been damaged at all. Did management at Grant decide to use undamaged PC copies to further profiteer? Who knows, but it’s certainly a possibility. Not long after the sale of these remarqued copies, another Grant newsletter was released explaining that Karen French had been fired from DMG. Apparently it involved Paypal money transfers but I know no additional details.

If that wasn’t all, I was also informed by a very keen member of TheDarkTower.org that on June 26 Karen French had posted in the Collectible Classifieds thread letting people know that she had put one of the S/L TWTTK on ebay for sale for nearly three times issue price. It was #716--not a simple PC copy--meaning that one less copy would be available for people who should get a shot at a copy via the lottery.

In doing this, Grant violated their own policy regarding the distribution of these editions. To be clear: one must own a copy of LSOE #800 or less to be able to purchase a copy of TWTTK Deluxe edition. Anyone with a S/L numbered higher than 800 would be allowed in the postcard lottery for unclaimed copies. So Grant ignored their own policy, choosing to sell on ebay for their own personal gain.

I wish that I could stop there—I really do. But it’s also fairly well known among collectors that the above wasn’t the first occasion in which employees of Grant demonstrated the lacking of an ethical compass.

When Little Sisters Of Eluria was released, the description page on the Grant website told of a number of Artist Editions of that title that had been remarqued by Michael Whelan and with the purchase of said title, one may be lucky enough to receive one of these. The author of this text even went as far as to suggest that one of these rare remarqued books may be worth a thousand dollars… and thus, a treasure hunt was born.

Collectors and fans ordered this title hoping to get one of these special books and amazingly there were no initial reports of anyone receiving one. Eventually some did surface—and the source? Karen French.

Karen sold some to collectors on the secondary market for many, many times the issue price, and now that the LSOE AE has sold out there is much doubt that these remarqued books were ever randomly distributed among those sold to customers at issue price.

Now that Karen is no longer with DMG, maybe the unethical element of the company is gone as well but there is much that is still unknown. Why was she able to sell these items? Was she given a directive by management to do so?

I have dealt with Robert Weiner directly and he does seem like a very kind and authentic professional, but that’s only how I perceived him through email communication. I have never asked him about any of these matters and don’t plan to. It’s not any of my business. But it should be the business of Mr. King if any contract is being violated by the unethical distribution of some of these books when they are intended for customers.

Maybe DMG should not publish anymore of Mr. King’s books if they aren’t making enough profit by the production alone, when they feel the need to nickel and dime customers regarding shipping expenses; when they refuse to payout a small amount to hire help so that they get orders to customers in a timely matter; when they—on more than one occasion—have taken it upon themselves to sell some of these books for many times issue price on the secondary market against their own company policies and which may or may not be in violation of the contract of distribution agreed to with the office of Mr. King.

I write this letter because I truly would not like to go through this again. DMG does not deserve the privilege of publishing another Stephen King book when they choose greed over integrity; when they demonstrate such a low level of professionalism and bad business decisions.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Adam Worden

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Very interesting letter. I had no idea you (or others) had gone through this. I have been ordering from Grant since the first DARK TOWER book was released and have never had any problems with them whatsoever.

However, I have not taken my WTTK books out of the shrinkwrap yet, and now I'm afraid to!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't believe King will ever read your letter.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

But you could post it on his boards and maybe his assistant will forward?? You never know.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

You could send it to his board, but it will only post if approved by his assistant.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

I've been ordering from them since 1991, never had a problem.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Book collectors are impossible to please. All companies have the potential for huge PR problems when trusted employees behave in unscrupulous ways. Having made those two observations, Let me say that I have been buying books from DMG since 1982. Over the past 3 decades I have found them to be reasonable, honest, and fair. If they continue to publish King Books, I will continue to buy King books from them. In general, you will get better service and response from a specialty publisher like DMG or sub Press or CD press than you will from a big conglomerate.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree, King will never see this letter.

Too bad as it does bring up many valid complaints. You don't see some of the other small press publishers acting in this manner.
    Geoff

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

Just because the majority of buyers don't have any issues with DMG doesn't mean those that have had problems don't have the right to complain about the experiences they've had. It always amazes me when people have legitimate complaints about a company but are told by the majority to be quiet

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Eg Tippy

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post

Too bad as it does bring up many valid complaints. You don't see some of the other small press publishers acting in this manner.
    Well - I think most small presses have had various problems in different degrees.

CD was notorious for being beyond late for all their books...but has since redeemed themselves nearly 180 degrees. Scream Press finally made right by Bob for a 20-year-old problem. Centipede had big problems with shipping damage, that they also fixed.

So if you're in a small business you will NEVER please everybody, and there will always be mistakes...

But I agree - if Neo had a bad experience, he's totally within his rights to complain about it publicly and privately. I think it's a shame that Grant is in the firing lane after abt 15 years of a near-perfect track record, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Unlike CD, where I did have problems, I've never had any issues with Grant, and have nothing to complain about!

I don't think this letter is meant to be "to King" anyway...of course he won't see it. But it puts an issue out there, and that's all you can do.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

Well - I think most small presses have had various problems in different degrees.

CD was notorious for being beyond late for all their books...but has since redeemed themselves nearly 180 degrees.
    I agree, it just seems like problems from the small press have been pretty much a non-problem lately, but historically there have been some major issues and CD being three years late on projects ranks up there. How soon I forget the past...
    Geoff

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    Just because the majority of buyers don't have any issues with DMG doesn't mean those that have had problems don't have the right to complain about the experiences they've had. It always amazes me when people have legitimate complaints about a company but are told by the majority to be quiet
    I don't sense that the majority of members here want to silence complaints-we obviously have this thread. I used to run a business that had over 125,000 customers a year with revenues exceeding $25 million dollars. We pleased 99.5% of the people all the time and our (my) job was to fix any and all problems encountered by the other .5%. We never wanted a customer to not voice a complaint as they would take their business elsewhere. Our only chance to resolve an issue and turn it around to our favor was being made aware of the problem.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Nobody if going to read that.

It is the War and Peace of complaint letters man.

I fell asleep halfway through it.

Trim it down if you want someone to pay attention to your complaints.

You also might want to limit your complaints to things that actually affected you. An employee selling her personal copy of the S/L TWTTK had nothing to do with you as far as I can tell.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    Eg Tippy
    Your complaints regarding the shipping delays and damage to your book seem valid to me.

The only thing we had previously disagreed on was your position on the LSOE remarques. You felt as if they did not exist, and I felt that was speculation on your part.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"Nobody if going to read that. It is the War and Peace of complaint letters man. I fell asleep halfway through it."

I liked reading it. I was on my phone at work, scrolling, scrolling, scrolling, and I enjoyed reading all of it. Not the experience, of course, but I enjoyed the way it was written. Very detailed, I was right there with ya'.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Since this has bled over into 4 different threads now, I'm going to take the time to respond. This is not a personal attack and is intended as a constructive critique of your complaint.
    I'm not defending Grant or Karen, you have a legit complaint regarding the condition of your book and the efforts to replace it. However, I have issues with a few of your points that your have brought up several times now.

Quote Originally Posted by neosatus View Post
    If that wasn’t all, I was also informed by a very keen member of TheDarkTower.org that on June 26 Karen French had posted in the Collectible Classifieds thread letting people know that she had put one of the S/L TWTTK on ebay for sale for nearly three times issue price. It was #716--not a simple PC copy--meaning that one less copy would be available for people who should get a shot at a copy via the lottery.

In doing this, Grant violated their own policy regarding the distribution of these editions. To be clear: one must own a copy of LSOE #800 or less to be able to purchase a copy of TWTTK Deluxe edition. Anyone with a S/L numbered higher than 800 would be allowed in the postcard lottery for unclaimed copies. So Grant ignored their own policy, choosing to sell on ebay for their own personal gain.
    This point is nothing but an unsubstantiated claim.
    You said yourself that you are new to book collecting, yet you assume that Karen was not the owner of a qualifying copy of LSOE. I don't know if she was or wasn't but I do know she was on the site as a collector a few years before she got the job at Grant. I DO remember her owning previous S/Ls in the series, so it's very possible that she owns LSOE and qualified for Wind. You and I don't knowfor sure if she did or not. You can only speculate, but you are making assumptions and jumping to conclusions. Likewise, there is the possibility that it was given to her as a bonus by her boss.
    Saying that Grant ignored their own policy is, at best, a wild guess on your part.

Second, Karen chose to sell her personal copy on ebay. That is not even remotely the same as Grant selling a copy on ebay. It's her property, if she wants to sell it for her own personal gain, that's her right and not a valid complaint. Was the timing of the sale a poor choice of timing? Yes, but claiming that this robbed the lottery of a copy is hyperbole.

Thirdly, do you honestly think that working as a secretary for a small press brings in a huge paycheck? It doesn't, that's why word of mouth tells us it is common practice for small press owners to reward their employees with some of the books they publish.
    Complaining about that is like me complaining that an employee was given a bonus when that money could have been used to pay me a higher stock dividend instead. (not a perfect analogy, but hopefully you get the point)

On October 10 a newsletter was sent from Grant, advertising a number of Deluxe PC and AE copies of TWTTK that had been remarqued by Jae Lee. I don’t know if any or all of these were “fixed” copies but I never saw a report that they had been damaged at all. Did management at Grant decide to use undamaged PC copies to further profiteer? Who knows, but it’s certainly a possibility. Not long after the sale of these remarqued copies, another Grant newsletter was released explaining that Karen French had been fired from DMG. Apparently it involved Paypal money transfers but I know no additional details.
    Again, this is all speculation fueled by your frustration.
    We don't know where these copies came from. Were they Jae Lee's personal copies that he received as a part of his payment for the project or were they part of Grant's overrun?
    Given his schedule, it's very likely that they commissioned Jae Lee to remarque those copies many months ago and sent him the books when they initially arrived at Grant. In that situation, the books were out of their hands before quality issues were ever discovered. It's also likely that they would have paid Jae in advance.

Calling the remarque sale profiteering is a bit melodramatic, if not ridiculous.
    You just don't have enough information to even suggest that.

That's my $0.02.
    Mark Twain

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

CD was notorious for being beyond late for all their books...but has since redeemed themselves nearly 180 degrees. Scream Press finally made right by Bob for a 20-year-old problem. Centipede had big problems with shipping damage, that they also fixed.

So if you're in a small business you will NEVER please everybody, and there will always be mistakes...

But I agree - if Neo had a bad experience, he's totally within his rights to complain about it publicly and privately. I think it's a shame that Grant is in the firing lane after abt 15 years of a near-perfect track record, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Unlike CD, where I did have problems, I've never had any issues with Grant, and have nothing to complain about!

I don't think this letter is meant to be "to King" anyway...of course he won't see it. But it puts an issue out there, and that's all you can do.
    You're right--it's not really to King as much as it is to his people who make his business decisions. [And props for deducing as much]
    I think King may play a part in some decisions, but not so much especially these days.
    My goal is to get it to one of his people that run his empire and I guarantee that I will do that one way or another.

I also don't mind at all, people saying they had no problems and they will continue to purchase from Grant. I would think it odd to believe anyone would do otherwise they had no problems personally. And I would be one of those.

And maybe 99% of people had no problems and are fully satisfied. And if that percentage is above what would be necessary to be considered a success--then great--let them publish a another book because of that "success".

Honestly, shit happens. There was a screw-up--fine. But I'd have never said a word of complaint if Grant had performed properly when the screw-ups did happen. And most of all I'm concerned with the ethical ramifications of them selling books under the table when they should be going to customers at the contracted published price.

Also, thanks to Jerome for helping me in the middle of that mess. I almost included that in the letter but I wanted to keep it as short as possible.

And if Grant would be able to do better in the future and get these issues worked out, I hold no grudge. So it's not all black and white, by any means. Like I said, I just wouldn't want to go through that again.

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post

You also might want to limit your complaints to things that actually affected you. An employee selling her personal copy of the S/L TWTTK had nothing to do with you as far as I can tell.
    People have read it, like it or not. And I guarantee someone of importance will read it. I trimmed it as much as possible, but all the facts needed to be there. And why can't I report things that happened, regardless if they happened to me or not?

Maybe you shouldn't even comment on something you haven't even read
    Your bias is 100% obvious. Go kiss Karen's ass some more .

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post

This point is nothing but an unsubstantiated claim.
    You said yourself that you are new to book collecting, yet you assume that Karen was not the owner of a qualifying copy of LSOE. I don't know if she was or wasn't but I do know she was on the site as a collector a few years before she got the job at Grant. I DO remember her owning previous S/Ls in the series, so it's very possible that she owns LSOE and qualified for Wind. You and I don't knowfor sure if she did or not. You can only speculate, but you are making assumptions and jumping to conclusions. Likewise, there is the possibility that it was given to her as a bonus by her boss.
    Saying that Grant ignored their own policy is, at best, a wild guess on your part.

Second, Karen chose to sell her personal copy on ebay. That is not even remotely the same as Grant selling a copy on ebay. It's her property, if she wants to sell it for her own personal gain, that's her right and not a valid complaint. Was the timing of the sale a poor choice of timing? Yes, but claiming that this robbed the lottery of a copy is hyperbole.

Thirdly, do you honestly think that working as a secretary for a small press brings in a huge paycheck? It doesn't, that's why word of mouth tells us it is common practice for small press owners to reward their employees with some of the books they publish.
    Complaining about that is like me complaining that an employee was given a bonus when that money could have been used to pay me a higher stock dividend instead. (not a perfect analogy, but hopefully you get the point)

Again, this is all speculation fueled by your frustration.
    We don't know where these copies came from. Were they Jae Lee's personal copies that he received as a part of his payment for the project or were they part of Grant's overrun?
    Given his schedule, it's very likely that they commissioned Jae Lee to remarque those copies many months ago and sent him the books when they initially arrived at Grant. In that situation, the books were out of their hands before quality issues were ever discovered. It's also likely that they would have paid Jae in advance.

Calling the remarque sale profiteering is a bit melodramatic, if not ridiculous.
    You just don't have enough information to even suggest that.

That's my $0.02.
    It's not an unsubstantiated claim. Karen posted that Robert told her she could sell one of the S/L. Does that really sound like something someone would say if they owned LSOE #716? Hmmmmm.

Grant's policy is widely known. They've posted the policy via their newsletters. You can go look them up if you want.

Tell me how it is not against their policy when their policy is to sell the numbered copies to owners of number 800 and less and then have the lottery for the owners with >800 ? It's that simple.

If Karen was given a numbered copy that's exactly what I have a problem with--not Karen selling it--but Karen getting it. Her selling it is the reason we know about it.

I was obviously speculating about the Jae Lee remarques. Did you not see the questions I asked? I merely reported what we know and asked questions that I would like to know the answer to.
    And the fact is: Grant sold those books not Jae Lee, regardless of how you try to spin it.

Though we don't know where they came from, the main point is that we know they EXIST. And my argument is that PC copies should not go to getting remarques done for sale. They should primarily be for damaged books that are already presold for customers. People having to receive damaged books is ridiculous. Quality was the thing Grant supporters were always boasting about...

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

People have read it, like it or not. And I guarantee someone of importance will read it. I trimmed it as much as possible, but all the facts needed to be there. And why can't I report things that happened, regardless if they happened to me or not?

This has turned out to be a very interesting discussion. Although, I can't really tell who Tippy4 is favoring (I tend to think Tippy is on Donald M. Grants side), Tippy is trying to stick to facts and get rid of some of the assumptions we are making based on the comment below. I don't think Tippy is really kissing anybody's patuttie.

I like the letter and hope somone see's it! I have an address for SK (someone gave one to me about a year ago. It is probably the office address. If you want to mail me a signed letter I can mail it for you. Or ask MS MOd for the mailing address. She would be quick to tell you it is just as easy to post on the SK Website.

Weedeater
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The odds are VERY against you finding one with a remark.....

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

This has turned out to be a very interesting discussion. Although, I can't really tell who Tippy4 is favoring (I tend to think Tippy is on Donald M. Grants side), Tippy is trying to stick to facts and get rid of some of the assumptions we are making based on the comment below. I don't think Tippy is really kissing anybody's patuttie.

I like the letter and hope somone see's it! I have an address for SK (someone gave one to me about a year ago. It is probably the office address. If you want to mail me a signed letter I can mail it for you. Or ask MS MOd for the mailing address. She would be quick to tell you it is just as easy to post on the SK Website.

Weedeater
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, I'll take you up on that. I'll be sending it to Ms. Mod as one way of getting it to someone who matters. I'll do what she thinks is best.

I will hand-write the letter and send it to you, signed and dated if you would kindly send it to the address you have.

Thank you much

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

People have read it, like it or not. And I guarantee someone of importance will read it.

Let me rephrase my comment.

Nobody of importance will read this.

King won't read it. His secretary won't read it. She will take one look at the size of it and drop it in the trash.

And at what point did I fucking kiss Karen's ass?

She and I are not friends, and if you look back at any of my posts, I have rarely ever engaged her.

And why can't I report things that happened, regardless if they happened to me or not?
    You can report on anything you like, but by tackling a multitude of topics, all you have succeeded in doing is sounding like a whiner.

I'm surprised you did not complain the rising cost of gasoline in that letter as well.

I trimmed it as much as possible, but all the facts needed to be there.
    Holy shit, if that was the trimmed version I would have hated to have had to ready the untrimmed version.

And as I have said to you, and as others have said to you, the FACTS are not all there. Your letter is full of speculation regarding LSOE remarques and the book Karen sold on ebay.

I am on nobody's side.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Weedeater

You may be right, but when someone is willing to comment on something that they've admitted they haven't even read then that says a lot. I remember people blindly telling Karen what a great job she was doing back during the release when they couldn't possibly know--and I believe he was one of them so that's where that comes from.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast