Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire ******Spoilers!!!

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've always said Targaryen as "tar-GAR-yen" I tend to not have much creativity in pronunciation. That's how it looks, so that's how it's said.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I may be wrong. I never really knew how palaver was pronounced until I was watching 101 Dalmatians with my kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdvGa...eature=related

skip ahead to 8:20
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    I've always said Targaryen as "tar-GAR-yen" I tend to not have much creativity in pronunciation. That's how it looks, so that's how it's said.
    that's how it sounds to mee, I just wrote it different, I guess.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I suppose I'm not too far off then....and the clip from 101 Dalmatians uses a different pronunciation that I do as well...I say "PAL-ah-ver"...who knows?

Demon of the Prim Yeah Sure Whatever is on a distinguished road Yeah Sure Whatever's Avatar

San Francisco De California, Cusco, Peru, Peru
    My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh no have I been saying Palaver wrong too?

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Heh...the pronunciation debate, with both series!
    In ASoIaF, there were also two different readers of the audiobooks. The first, Roy Dotrice, read the first three books and had his way of pronouncing names and places. The second, John Lee (Sauroman from the LOtR movies) read Feast for Crows, and he apparently never listened to the readings by Dotrice. I was lost trying to figure out who the heck he was talking about when I started FFC!
    I guess it really doesnt matter as long as we figure out who does what to whom.

And I would really like to hear from Howland Reed, too. All the frog people are too enigmatic!

My Mood
    Breezy

I wouldn't know about that, Ladysai, I refuse to listen to audiobooks.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Refuse? Why's that?
    They're great for re-reads...if you get a good reader.
    Like Frank Muller, who did the first 4 DT books...

My Mood
    Breezy

When I read I auto-hypnotize. Seriously, people can talk to me and I don't hear them, or by the time I realize someone said something to me it's like 5 minutes later. Audiobooks are just radio to me. I don't "see" it happening in my head. Books are a movie in my head. IDK, can't explain better than that.

Anyways, regarding what we were talking about the other day, I'm on page 450 of AFFC on my current reread, and this is where they explain valar dohaeris.

Then stay... but remember, the House of Black and White is not a home for orphans. All men must serve beneath this roof. Valar dohaeris is how we say it here. Remain if you will, but know that we shall require your ebedience. At all times and in all things. If you cannot obey, you must depart.

Demon of the Prim Yeah Sure Whatever is on a distinguished road Yeah Sure Whatever's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Also when Dany buys the Unsullied in a Clash of Swords the slave girls says Valar Morghulis

Here's a link with some page numbers and quotes:

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/mlarchi...morghulis.html

My Mood
    Breezy

whomever made that page probably made it before AFFC.

Also, a wildling girl wouldn't have the education to even have heard the phrases, let alone know what they meant. Her phrase is just coincidence, IMO.

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

I havent gotten there yet, so I have no opinion. I did think it was funny that page is made on Angelfire

My Mood
    Breezy

I thought you were on AFFC already? Still on SOS?

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm on SOS still, but halfway through! I have so many orders right now that I have to cut my extra ride and read time so I can get them made.

My Mood
    Breezy

Work is good! Money is good! Pace yourself, maybe by the time you finish AFFC DoD will be out.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I still have high hopes at the moment that it might be done in time to be released in conjunction with the series premiere in April based on what GRRM and his publisher have said about how much he has left and how a big chunk of the book has already been edited/laid out for a quicker publishing turn around.

But come April there is a very good chance that my hopes could be dashed into the ground.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

My Mood
    Breezy

THIS!

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    Work is good! Money is good! Pace yourself, maybe by the time you finish AFFC DoD will be out.
    Thats what my husband keeps telling me, slow down because once its done its done.

SO I watched two episodes of Dexter while I rode the bike last night

Congrats on the new healthy baby!

My Mood
    Breezy

thank you.

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

You're welcome! I wasnt sure if you saw that in the other thread. I of course came to this one first! I might get some reading in today, but only 30 minutes the other 60 minutes of bike time are for Dexter

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I need to continue my AFFC read through. I keep getting sidetracked by other novels, specifically my DT reread

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Cersei's character arc : Sulk. Scheme. Screw. Sulk. Scheme. Screw. Sulk. Scheme. Screw. Sulk. Scheme. Screw. Sulk. Scheme. Screw. Sulk. Scheme. Screw. Sulk. Scheme. Screw. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ..........

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Cersei's character arc : Sulk. Scheme. Screw. Sulk. Scheme. Screw. Sulk. Scheme. Screw. Sulk. Scheme. Screw. Sulk. Scheme. Screw. Sulk. Scheme. Screw. Sulk. Scheme. Screw. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ..........

I am gaining a little more respect, not much but more, for Sansa. She may surprise me.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    At least she is consistant

My Mood
    Breezy

lol, that she is. i can't believe how stupid she ends up being, though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast