Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite moments of this book. *Spoilers*

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    We were (almost) crying together, sai.
    Ka.

Roland would have understood.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Mine is still the part of Callahan's story when he almost gets captured by Sayre up to where he ends up in the Doorway Cave. That whole sequence is just great.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Mine is still the part of Callahan's story when he almost gets captured by Sayre up to where he ends up in the Doorway Cave. That whole sequence is just great.
    Indeed. I think I said this before, but it's a shame Callahan and Brautigan never met. They'd have had a lot to palaver about.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Hell yeah and then they could hang out with John Cullum in his cottage by a fire and go over all the amazing things that happened to them.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti
    Ask yourself, man.
    You are there as well.
    That was such a cool answer

Letti gives me warm fuzzies
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked Roland's final conversations with Benny Slightman the Rat. It could only been improved if only Roland had shot him dead. *shrugs*

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    I liked Roland's final conversations with Benny Slightman the Rat. It could only been improved if only Roland had shot him dead. *shrugs*
    I agreed with Roland. He got his punishment and for him it was worse to stay alive.

Country
    Country Flag

I actually agree too. I just like me some shoot-em-up fighting.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    I actually agree too. I just like me some shoot-em-up fighting.
    Didn't you get enough shooting?

Country
    Country Flag

No.

Didn't you get enough shooting?
    I usually find most books have at least one character that I wish Roland had shot that he doesn't. In this book it was Slightman. In W&G it was Cordelia.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know. For my part I can't hate Cordelia so much.
    And when life gives a real punishment if you shoot that person in fact you make them a favour.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But a bullet seems so appropriate for some people, and those two deserved it, big time, right in the fucking eye.

And when life gives a real punishment if you shoot that person in fact you make them a favour.
    You're more forgiving than I. I think I mentioned it in another thread, but aside from Slightman, I find Cordelia to be the most despicable person Roland encounters in his wanderings. Cordelia sold her own niece's body. As for the punishment she eventually received from ka, it made it a bit better to know she suffered such a fate, but given the damage she'd done, I'd rather have seen her fall under Roland's guns.

It's part of why I choose "amazement" in your Roland poll Letti. Letting Slightman walk away was something Roland did that I don't know that I would have been able to do myself.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think letting Slightman the elder walk away proved something about Roland. He may be an accomplished killer but he is also just and far from blood thirsty.

That is sometimes not plainly apparent in his character, especially early on imo.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think letting Slightman the elder walk away proved something about Roland. He may be an accomplished killer but he is also just and far from blood thirsty.

That is sometimes not plainly apparent in his character, especially early on imo.
    It was one of many moments where you remember that Roland is still just a person. He may be a super-hero, a diplomat, a King, etc., but at heart, he's still just a dude.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    You're more forgiving than I. I think I mentioned it in another thread, but aside from Slightman, I find Cordelia to be the most despicable person Roland encounters in his wanderings. Cordelia sold her own niece's body. As for the punishment she eventually received from ka, it made it a bit better to know she suffered such a fate, but given the damage she'd done, I'd rather have seen her fall under Roland's guns.

It's part of why I choose "amazement" in your Roland poll Letti. Letting Slightman walk away was something Roland did that I don't know that I would have been able to do myself.
    I see.
    But you know... maybe without Jake he would have done that. He would have killed him without any heistation. But with Jake on his side - and with the love in his heart - he knew what it's like when you lose your son...
    I don't know what that's like but Roland does and (I think) that's why he didn't kill him.

I see.
    But you know... maybe without Jake he would have done that. He would have killed him without any heistation. But with Jake on his side - and with the love in his heart - he knew what it's like when you lose your son...
    I don't know what that's like but Roland does and (I think) that's why he didn't kill him.
    I agree, that it was because of the feelings he developed through his relationship with Jake that made him think twice about killing Slightman. I still think the people of the Calla have a right to know that one of their own sold them out to the Wolves. Whatever Slightman's loss over Benny, he still got to slink away without his neighbors knowing he was willing to sell-out their children to the Wolves.

The Calla's are just big farms for the Red. When you understand that, it all becomes okay.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

These may be some of the less popular parts, but I have to admit it, now that I've finally finished the volume....

My favorite parts were the references to other works, at the end. To Harry Potter, and Star Wars--and especially 'Salem's Lot (which I've actually read now, say thankya).

I also liked Father Callahan's backstory, and seeing what happened to him after he left Jerusalem's Lot.

Calla Bryn Sturgis itself I kind of found boring at first, but I must have gotten used to it, because when Father Callahan went into 1977 New York, I found myself being bored by that. And now that I've read the volume and know what the Wolves are, for example, I doubt I'll find that boring the next time I read the series.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

A lot of people found Callahan's backstory to be one of the better parts, including myself. Now that I've read the series over 10 times, the Wolves get better and better.

Country
    Country Flag

I did love the Calla folks and every simple line about them or their life. I love such people in real life as well.

I did love the Calla folks and every simple line about them or their life. I love such people in real life as well.
    Who is your favorite Calla-folken? I would have to say mine is Rosalita.

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Who is your favorite Calla-folken? I would have to say mine is Rosalita.
    I'd have to say my favorite is Tian. He is the one that started the ball rolling towards standing up to the Wolves. I always remember that when Tian called his meeting about standing up to the Wolves, he had no idea that there were Gunslingers on the way to the Calla, if he even knew there were Gunslingers anywhere in the world anymore. Knowing this, I have to admire how courageous Tian was to even broach the subject of standing up to the Wolves knowing the arsenal they had. I can admire a man who would rather die protecting all of his children than live letting a single one of them be harmed.

Tian rocks. Totally agreed. Just a working man that got fed up and stood up. I would have to say he's my second.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast