Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Favorite moments of this book. *Spoilers*

Gunslinger Apprentice arrawyn is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I JUST finished WotC like 10 minutes ago! and my fave parts were definitely Roland dancing the rice dance (and Oy bowing and introducing himself to the towns-folken that was adorable!). Roland having 'human' moments to me are great . and also Eddie and the kids (and Zalia i think?) jump-roping - that was great.

and as cheezy (is that the right word?) and bizarre as it was, I liked (but at the same time thought it was silly) the very end where Pere finds the book 'Salem's Lot by SK and reads about himself.

can't wait to start SoS! (though from the feeling i've gathered on the site, lots of people don't like it very much?)

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I always like the whole book. Especially the parts where they deal with the townspeople. I think this book makes all of them, especially Roloand, more human
    If you love me then love me..

Traveler killboi is on a distinguished road killboi's Avatar

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Country
    Country Flag

Come, Come, Commala tops d list

But then the scene in which eddie deals with those men stands apart too

John F. Kennedy grobblewobble will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Innocent

There are so many to choose from.. I will pick one that no one mentioned yet: the opening scene. Where Tian lets his sister plough Son of A Bitch. I absolutely loved that scene, it sucked me in to the book right from the beginning.

Traveler cupofcoffee is on a distinguished road cupofcoffee's Avatar

I think part of the reason I love Wolves of the Calla so much is the cover I have. Stupid and maybe kind of shallow, I know, but it's this one:

http://s510.photobucket.com/albums/s...at111856PM.png

The painterly quality, bright colors, and especially the font used in the title word mark kind of informed my experience with the book as a whole. It's so much warmer and more adventurous looking than the other DT covers I have. It looks positive, fun, almost happy. I felt it was a great match for the DT twinner of The Magnificent Seven. I look at it and can practically hear the movie's theme song play in my head.

Favorite moments were pretty varied. I loved "Oy, Eld, Thankee," Callahan's meeting with Walter, Roland's commala dance, the speech in the beginning where Tian convinces the town to appeal to the gunslingers, and the image of a trail of wagons spiriting the children off to hiding on the morning of the Wolves. My favorite of all is probably right at the end, when Roland jumps out from ambush and realizes there's no pain whatsoever in his hip. His gunslinger battle cry gives me chills very time, even though it's slightly rearranged each time he uses it. I think WotC version is my favorite, too:
    Roland began counting to twenty, but when he got to nineteen decided he'd counted enough. He gathered his legs beneath him—there was no dry twist now, not so much as a twinge—and then pistoned upward with his father's gun held high in his hand.

"For Gilead and the Calla!" he roared. "Now, gunslingers! Now, you Sisters of Oriza! Now, now! Kill them! No quarter! Kill them all!"
    By that point I really hated the Wolves and couldn't wait for them to be swept unprepared into the ka-tet's whirlwind of destruction, so the battle cry struck a perfect chord with me. The no quarter, kill them all is what always gets me. It's so righteously brutal.

Also really like the description of Ben Slightman Sr. picking up his son's disembodied arm and kissing the palm. I think I'd have say that's among both the most touching and most savage mental images in the whole Dark Tower series.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5