Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finally figured out why people don't like The Gunslinger.... (read on)

John F. Kennedy unclelouie will become famous soon enough

Default Finally figured out why people don't like The Gunslinger.... (read on)

So I am now awaiting my copy of DT VII in the mail (via Amazon). And without wanting to start anything new during my wait, I decided to re-read The Gunslinger. I admit... I loathed The Gunslinger the first time I read it. Half the time I had no idea what was going on. All these crazy references. All the weird language. It sounded like a bunch of rambling nonsense. No plot. No sense to it.

However, I have changed my opinion whole-heartedly.... after having read the first 6 entries in the series, I thoroughly enjoyed my re-read, and thought it to be a masterpiece. Maybe its because I now know Roland much better. Maybe its because I understood the non-stop "obscure" and "weird" references this time around?

Which references did I pick up on this time, that meant jack to me the 1st read?

-Sheemie and his mule
    -The Manni (SK mentions the Manni on the first page or so..)
    -The Taheen (man with the raven's head).. ah, yeah, from the Dixie Pig!
    -Why Roland didn't want to discuss Susan with Allie
    -the reference to the beam pulling Roland southeast
    -the reference at the beginning to the lost horn and his deceased friend Cuthbert (although not mentioned by name)
    -the conversation between Roland and Sheb referencing Susan buring
    -references to Mejis and the Clean Sea
    -references to The Goodman aka Farson
    -etc etc etc

In other words, I was able to enjoy the story and the beautiful style in which the story was written, without being so lost on obscure references and trying to figure out "what the hell was going on". Gunslinger can be a confusing read the first go-around.

Now that my mind was free to just enjoy the story, I must say, Roland's visit to Tull, from the time he entered town to the time he unloaded fire in the streets would stand right up there with the best of any Spaghetti Western story, book, or movie. Its one of the most gritty and intense "Spaghetti Western" stories ever. Heck, the whole Gunslinger book is sort of a Spaghetti Western in and of itself.... but with elements of horror, fantasy, etc. Nah, it's just its own thing. Cannot define it.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that was kinda the whole point. This coming from someone who read the books as they came out. The whole point, to me anyway, was that King was introducing us to a new world. The devil was in the details. JMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It also sounds like your first read of The gunslinger was the re-written version! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    It also sounds like your first read of The gunslinger was the re-written version! :-)
    Obviously. I have many issues with The Gunslinger, but none of them was listed...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Obviously. I have many issues with The Gunslinger, but none of them was listed...
    Oh, you have issues with every book, Jean!!! LOL Sometimes you just gotta enjoy the ride and not analyze. Lighten up a bit my Eastern European friend!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Oh, you have issues with every book, Jean!!! LOL Sometimes you just gotta enjoy the ride and not analyze. Lighten up a bit my Eastern European friend!!! LOL

Spoiler:
    Pretty sure the ursine population loved it on the whole!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

if bears lighten any more, they will fly away like big furry balloons...

Also, enjoyment isn't something we could share nonstop for all those years (and years ahead), while analysis is.

Spoiler:
    and no, I respect The Gunslinger and love - even adore - some aspects of it, but don't really like it

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

OK, Bear. I defer to you and yours.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

no, it's the other way

Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread