Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Series End?

Traveler Black Foot Yankee is on a distinguished road Black Foot Yankee's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Series End?

Sorry if this question has been posted here before: Has King announced when the DT series will be complete? With new book(s) added (recent and coming soon...so I understand), I am unsure when King will wrap a ribbon around his masterpiece series.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The Dark Tower series, to me, are books 1-7. There can be a million spin-offs, extra stories, easter eggs, anecdotes, etc., but the main story is told.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    The Dark Tower series, to me, are books 1-7. There can be a million spin-offs, extra stories, easter eggs, anecdotes, etc., but the main story is told.
    Agreed! I think it is wrapped up with a untidy and grimy bow.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The "Dark Tower"quest was wrapped up (for better or worse) in volumes 1-7, The rest is anecdotes.

Does that help?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I count Little Sisters of Eluria as necessary as any of the 7 books. WTTKH... not so much.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

In his recent interview with Neil Gaiman, King said that he is considering re-writing DT V-VII, a development I would totally welcome (not because I think they need to be re-written, but because I think re-writes are thematically consistent with the series). I'm in the minority on this, but I think if you throw out LSOE and WTTKH, then W&G has to go, too, because it contains relatively little actual "quest" content. Back to the thread's first post, I think that the DT series is currently complete, but I would be glad to entertain more entries in the series.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Joe could probably add some stories in the future. I'd totally welcome that.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

DT dts

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I count Little Sisters of Eluria as necessary as any of the 7 books. WTTKH... not so much.
    I certainly respect your opinion, but if you count LSOE that highly then wouldn't BH be just as mandatory as you say? Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed LSOE (Hey, Roland is in it), but it would seem by that logic that WTTKH is just as equally required (the Ka-tet is in it if, only briefly). I still maintain that 1-7 covers the quest/story and anything else is "Bonus material". See what I mean WDIL? Of course, JMHO is all.

Edit: Both LSOE & WTTKH do take place in Mid-World, as does a significant portion of BH, FWIW Just thinking out loud I guess.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler Black Foot Yankee is on a distinguished road Black Foot Yankee's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am the type that enjoys reading a series in chronological order. It seems like King is releasing new DT book that are go betweens in the series. I would rather wait until he is done with the DT series before I re-read again. It's just my way.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Black Foot Yankee View Post
    I am the type that enjoys reading a series in chronological order. It seems like King is releasing new DT book that are go betweens in the series. I would rather wait until he is done with the DT series before I re-read again. It's just my way.

And I totally respect that choice. Go forth and read, my brother!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

So from my point of view, has King announced when he will complete the series?

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

As of 2004, the series was complete. Then he changed his mind and wrote wttkh. Now, the series is complete again. I don't think he has definitively said he will or will not write another book. Even if he did, i wouldn't believe him.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It will never end. Ever.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hasn't he already said that he is considering rewrites for the last three books ala "The Gunslinger"?

If so, then by your reckoning BFY you'll never get to re-read the series until he is dead. And then maybe!!!! Cause you just know he has material stockpiled away just like Tolkien.

BTW, LOVE the "Yankee" in your handle!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Hasn't he already said that he is considering rewrites for the last three books ala "The Gunslinger"?
    No, that doesn't sound right. Don't think he ever said that. Back when The Gunslinger was revised he talked that he might do the next two or something, but it never went more than that.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    No, that doesn't sound right. Don't think he ever said that. Back when The Gunslinger was revised he talked that he might do the next two or something, but it never went more than that.
    No? I could swear I read that somewhere. Are you sure?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread