Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weeds in Shivers VII

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Default Weeds in Shivers VII

Cemetery Dance Publications is proud to announce the seventh entry in this award-nominated and best-selling anthology series! In addition to the affordable trade paperback edition for general readers, this volume will also be published as a signed Limited Edition hardcover and a signed and traycased Lettered Edition hardcover, both of which will signed by the editor for the collectors!

Shivers VII contains more than 100,000 words of chilling fiction from mroe than two dozen of today's most popular authors of horror and suspense including Stephen King, Clive Barker, Graham Masterton, Ed Gorman, Bill Pronzini, Lisa Tuttle, Kaaron Warren, Del James, Lisa Morton, Roberta Lannes, Scott Nicholson, Bev Vincent, Brian James Freeman, Norman Prentiss, and many others.

Of special note to collectors: "Weeds" by Stephen King was originally published in Cavalier magazine in May 1976 (as "Will Be Necessary to Stop the Weeds") and in Nugget magazine in April 1979, but has not been reprinted since, although it was adapted as "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" for Creepshow in 1982. "The Departed" by Clive Barker was originally published as "Hermione and the Moon" in The New York Times on October 30, 1992.

Featuring original dark fiction with a handful of rare reprints, Shivers VII is available only from Cemetery Dance Publications.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar16

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yay a King Story i haven't read, also a new one by Rio Youers who's work i love too

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Of special note to collectors: "Weeds" by Stephen King was originally published in Cavalier magazine in May 1976 (as "Will Be Necessary to Stop the Weeds") and in Nugget magazine in April 1979, but has not been reprinted since, although it was adapted as "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" for Creepshow in 1982.
    I hate this, and this isn't the first time I've seen this nonsense. "Weeds" was always titled "Weeds", and in its original publication the magazine plastered the first page with the story with the tagline: "More than a green thumb will be necessary to stop the Weeds". Why is that hard to grasp? It's too bad to see misinformation multiply, especially via reputable sources.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Their information is accurate. The entire heading is in the same font at the same size -- there's no reason to think the story's title is "Weeds" based on this.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

With all due respect, Bev, that's not the complete tagline, and also it's quite obvious it doesn't make much sense as a title anyway.

Shall I show you the entire front page? That's all there is -- there's nothing else by way of a title.

Country
    Country Flag

Right, the first part of the tagline ("More than a green thumb...") should be on the preceding page. I don't have a copy of the magazine handy nor a full scan so I'm going off my memory, so I apologize if I'm mistaken.

If that's the case -- I don't have a copy that includes the preceding page. I photocopied it from the magazine over a quarter of a century ago!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bev violated copyright?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Hence all the sophisticated technology used to mask the text!

Country
    Country Flag

Surely some of our membership here have the issue in question and can provide a scan of the preceding page or the table of contents?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

These are from the Cavalier. The ones from Nugget are the same except for some minor color differences.

John

Michael Jackson Darkday is on a distinguished road Darkday's Avatar

What does it say in the table of contents?

Country
    Country Flag

That's exactly it, thanks John. Hopefully this is yet another sign pointing toward this story and others, such as The Crate, to appear in an upcoming King collection, whenever that may be.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Hence all the sophisticated technology used to mask the text!
    Oh, I know. I was just teasing you for your decades old piracy.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkday View Post
    What does it say in the table of contents?

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for posting the TOC.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Thanks for posting the TOC.
    Yeah, thanks. This is why I'm not sure why this myth of the tagline being the original title of "Weeds" keeps being perpetuated. The phrase is obviously not a title, and especially not the second half of it, which borders on the nonsensical, and the actual title is listed in the table of contents as with any respectable publication That's why I'm somewhat taken aback that a reputable source such as Cemetery Dance would say ""Weeds" by Stephen King was originally published in Cavalier magazine in May 1976 (as "Will Be Necessary to Stop the Weeds")". Rocky Wood's Unpublished, Uncollected also makes mention of the tagline as though it's the story's actual title. Sorry if I'm making too big a deal out of this. Just a longtime pet-peeve.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Weeds has been one of my favorite stories by King that has never been republished. It's much darker than the campy Jordy Verrill story out of Creepshow.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Weeds has been one of my favorite stories by King that has never been republished. It's much darker than the campy Jordy Verrill story out of Creepshow.

John
    And like I said, now that The Crate was also recently republished, hopefully that leads to at least these two forgotten stories being finally collected the next time King decides to put out a collection.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The Crate has been reprinted a few times (check out Brooks' Bibliography, but Weeds has NEVER been reprinted. And I really don't understand why.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Was The Crate ever republished between Creepshow and Shivers VI last year? I'm not sure, at any rate, both are great stories and it's a mystery to me too why neither made it to an official King collection. Weeds should've gone into Night Shift and The Crate into Skeleton Crew, chronologically speaking.

Seems like King may have had something against some of his late 1970s stories, or simply forgot when the time came to compile a collection. The bulk of his best uncollected fiction is in that 1976-79 time-frame: Weeds (1976), The Night of the Tiger (1978), Man with a Belly (1978), The Crate (1979), and of course The Cat From Hell (1977), which was just collected in 2008.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

He could do a mini collection of forgotten stories. LOL

If you rescue me

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Was The Crate ever republished between Creepshow and Shivers VI last year?
    Yes, it was in The Arbor House Treasury of Horror and the Supernatural in 1981. King also wrote the introduction to that anthology.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast