Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The vision at the end...

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I was thinking we were talking about the "size" vision.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

The topic of the thread is the vision.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice To The Dark Tower Came is on a distinguished road To The Dark Tower Came's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland spends a large amount of time in The Gunslinger and the next six books ignoring messages to him, subliminal and overt. Well less ignore than ascribing to them a narrow interpretation to align them with him attaining the Tower.
    "...quiet as despair, I turn’d from him..."

Posts made by user To The Dark Tower Came
    are his opinion. Any feelings of anger, angst,
    or weltsmertz please see a licensed mental
    health professional immediately.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

What could have he done with the information in the vision at the end of The Gunslinger that would have helped him in his quest? I mean, its all very interesting and cosmic, but as far as directing him in someway, it doesn't.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I dunno, doesn't the vision provide a kind of foreshadowing of what's to come...worlds being so close together that Roland can draw help from one into the other? Sticking your head out of the universe, kinda like in It, remember that scene? Maybe what's significant about is that when the man in black says, let there be light, more vision is added, additional stuff to see and it just keeps going. At some point Roland tries to jump him, misses, comes to, thinks, gawd to have to do that all over, but the man in black is there, tittering, saying Roland talks in his sleep, don't get so close to me.

The size thing. Distances have changed, later...and doesn't the continuation of the Tower prevent things from really torquing out of control? So perhaps the vision does contribute to Roland's quest. Unless he reaches the Tower, distances, size, will continue to stretch, change...wonder if this is related to the always present metaphor of the main character's head swelling? Ready to burst? Pop goes the weasel. The Tower is the nexus, the point where everything holds...Shrug...I dunno...looking at it again, original..does it matter?...but things are described as 'shrinking'...Roland is described as 'falling up'...I dunno, it boggles the mind.

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyway, started Book II, The Drawing of the Three, and Roland does refer to the vision presented by Walter. When he's on the plane, or rather, when he's first looking through the door, through Eddie's eyes, looking at the world from 'thrice' as high as an eagle can fly.
    Shrug.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

wow, this is heavy stuff, I'll have to ponder on it for a while ....

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Along the Path of the Beam costanza will become famous soon enough

I think the vision was Walter toying with Roland. Seeing how much Roland could take.

I could never have shown that vision to your father. He would've come back drooling.

I made your father, and then I broke him.
    He also made Thomas and his father Roland in EotD. I don't think Thomas broke but maybe dad.

I came to your mother as Marten. She bent beneath me like a willow, but she never broke.

Nadine Cross broke right out of that window and onto the street below.

Traveler Myrtok is on a distinguished road

I've never even understood why Walter, from his own point of view, had that conversation with Roland and gives him the vision. I mean, he makes certain references to the fact that certain details are the will of his "Master," but how is Walter's master served by giving Roland such information and visions? I've been through the series multiple times, but I've never been able to understand why that entire scene takes place. Even if the information Roland is given isn't entirely helpful, it seems to be at least a case of Walter giving "aid and comfort" to his enemy by answering questions about the past and about the nature of the tower.

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Seems to me like Walter is just giving Roland something to chew on, to hold him over for a while, because his need for answers was strong.

Traveler Charyou Tree is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post
    Yet Walter says the night was lengthened by his master. I don't think he was lying about that.
    Oh I don't know.....time is funny here.....

Traveler Charyou Tree is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Myrtok View Post
    I've never even understood why Walter, from his own point of view, had that conversation with Roland and gives him the vision. I mean, he makes certain references to the fact that certain details are the will of his "Master," but how is Walter's master served by giving Roland such information and visions? I've been through the series multiple times, but I've never been able to understand why that entire scene takes place. Even if the information Roland is given isn't entirely helpful, it seems to be at least a case of Walter giving "aid and comfort" to his enemy by answering questions about the past and about the nature of the tower.
    The answer to that is easy.....Ka.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2