Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DYING WISH COMPETITION

Gunslinger Apprentice agrabin is on a distinguished road agrabin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I mean while I'm dying, not that I want buried with one!

Then again, if it's good enough for Pharoahs to have gold, jewellery and servants interred with them and Chinese Emperors to have whole armies of terracotta soldiers buried alongside them, it's good enough for you and me to have, as you call it, a bit of kitty in our final resting place.

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

My dying wish is to find out that Harry Potter and his whole story are real.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know, it's so hard to chose just one. We all wear so many hats in our lives, so to speak, and each of them calls for a different wish. I mean, as a parent, my most heart-felt wishes concern my kid; as a daughter, I want to do everything I can for my parents; as a wife, I want my DH to be happy and content; then there is also a bit of "me" in me. It's impossible for me to choose one over another.
    That being said, one thing that keeps coming up (and it's been on my mind for quite a long time) is being a donor. I would want my organs to be donated and transplanted to those who need them. I know it is possible in some countries, but I will never chance it in my own country (for a number of reasons, first and foremost being a high risk of not being resuscitated when needed).
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't worry! We'll sneak into the russian border, steal your body, and donate* your organs. We were going to do this anyway. All the better that you want it done.

*with added ummm....administration and processing fees.

Oh, look RainInSpain coughed....someone grab the scalpel.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I knew I could count on you, Brice, to fulfill something other than my dreams - my nightmares!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

What? The russian mob and black market organ sales weren't part of your wish?

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Yikes, no!
    But I'll be stoic and will not retract my wish - I'll just hope those tough guys will overlook it

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

This doesn't exactly fit the requirements of the competition, but I want to share it anyway.

When I was younger, I was very sick... my organs were shutting down and my parents contacted the Make A Wish program to see if I qualified. While they waited for more information, my grandparents put a "wishing well" in my hospital room. They told me it was bottomless, the I could pick out a tiny wrapped present every day and make a wish. My grandfather told me it would only be empty when I was ready to go home. So, every day I opened a little toy or a book (this is how I got quite a few of my King paperbacks) and made a wish. Every day, there was another new gift in the tiny well. I learned years later that the nurse would sneak them in each night as I slept.

I guess Make a Wish asked my parents for possible "wishes" to be fulfilled... My parents asked me what I would like to do more than anything in the world, believing the answer would be my "dying wish". My answer?

Go home. I had been at the hospital for a long time, quarantined because of my suppressed immune system. I missed my little brother, my own bedroom, my favorite toys, my dog... I even missed my annoying neighbors. The doctors finally agreed to release me at my parents' request, because nothing was working and I kept getting worse. I knew it, too. I could tell something was wrong by the way the nurses stopped visiting just for fun and how sad they looked when they talked to me. I could see how worried the doctors looked whenever I had a new test done. And I knew that I felt very sick, I felt like I was dying.

I'll never forget when my grandfather came in the room and brought me the wishing well, only when I reached inside... it was empty. I'll never forget how he told me I could go home because I was all better, completely healthy. The nurses came in smiling and unhooked my IVs and all the other wires and tubes. They showed my mom and dad how to give me medicine. The doctors came in and hugged me, congratulating me. My mom cried a lot, but said she was just so happy I was okay. When I got home, my brother and I hugged for the first time in months. He said he was sorry for giving me the chicken pox (for my third time), which is what started my illness. He had missed me so much, he'd been sneaking in to sleep in my bed while I was gone. Now that I was home, he snuggled next to me every night until his pre-school started again.

I wanted to go back to school, but wasn't allowed. That's when the doctors finally told me I hadn't gotten any better, I was still sick and going to school could make me even worse. I had this long talk with the doctor about what that meant. That was the first time I remember understanding that all the adults believed I was dying... even my mom and dad. But not my grandfather. No, he insisted the doctors didn't know anything. I had to be healthy if the wishing well was empty, afterall. So my second wish - to go to school - was granted with the help of my grandfather.

Before we knew it, I was getting better. The doctors told us that, with the damage to my organs, I wouldn't live to see 13. When I turned 13, they said there was no way I would see 16. At 16, my expiration date was extended to 18... then 21... and finally I am immortal! Well, the doctors told me there is "no foreseeable death date in the future" which might as well mean eternal life. How did my body manage to keep defying the odds? Because of my grandfather's ability to convince me I was fine, and my ongoing dying wish... not to die.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I would wish for all humans to blink out of existence so that evolution could reroll the die and try to come up with something better.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Don't worry! We'll sneak into the russian border, steal your body, and donate* your organs. We were going to do this anyway. All the better that you want it done.

*with added ummm....administration and processing fees.

Oh, look RainInSpain coughed....someone grab the scalpel.

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    This doesn't exactly fit the requirements of the competition, but I want to share it anyway.

When I was younger, I was very sick... my organs were shutting down and my parents contacted the Make A Wish program to see if I qualified. While they waited for more information, my grandparents put a "wishing well" in my hospital room. They told me it was bottomless, the I could pick out a tiny wrapped present every day and make a wish. My grandfather told me it would only be empty when I was ready to go home. So, every day I opened a little toy or a book (this is how I got quite a few of my King paperbacks) and made a wish. Every day, there was another new gift in the tiny well. I learned years later that the nurse would sneak them in each night as I slept.

I guess Make a Wish asked my parents for possible "wishes" to be fulfilled... My parents asked me what I would like to do more than anything in the world, believing the answer would be my "dying wish". My answer?

Go home. I had been at the hospital for a long time, quarantined because of my suppressed immune system. I missed my little brother, my own bedroom, my favorite toys, my dog... I even missed my annoying neighbors. The doctors finally agreed to release me at my parents' request, because nothing was working and I kept getting worse. I knew it, too. I could tell something was wrong by the way the nurses stopped visiting just for fun and how sad they looked when they talked to me. I could see how worried the doctors looked whenever I had a new test done. And I knew that I felt very sick, I felt like I was dying.

I'll never forget when my grandfather came in the room and brought me the wishing well, only when I reached inside... it was empty. I'll never forget how he told me I could go home because I was all better, completely healthy. The nurses came in smiling and unhooked my IVs and all the other wires and tubes. They showed my mom and dad how to give me medicine. The doctors came in and hugged me, congratulating me. My mom cried a lot, but said she was just so happy I was okay. When I got home, my brother and I hugged for the first time in months. He said he was sorry for giving me the chicken pox (for my third time), which is what started my illness. He had missed me so much, he'd been sneaking in to sleep in my bed while I was gone. Now that I was home, he snuggled next to me every night until his pre-school started again.

I wanted to go back to school, but wasn't allowed. That's when the doctors finally told me I hadn't gotten any better, I was still sick and going to school could make me even worse. I had this long talk with the doctor about what that meant. That was the first time I remember understanding that all the adults believed I was dying... even my mom and dad. But not my grandfather. No, he insisted the doctors didn't know anything. I had to be healthy if the wishing well was empty, afterall. So my second wish - to go to school - was granted with the help of my grandfather.

Before we knew it, I was getting better. The doctors told us that, with the damage to my organs, I wouldn't live to see 13. When I turned 13, they said there was no way I would see 16. At 16, my expiration date was extended to 18... then 21... and finally I am immortal! Well, the doctors told me there is "no foreseeable death date in the future" which might as well mean eternal life. How did my body manage to keep defying the odds? Because of my grandfather's ability to convince me I was fine, and my ongoing dying wish... not to die.
    This is an awesome story. I think you won at Life rather than this competition.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Serious dying wish now:
    Fly out to New Zealand and hike the trail that Frodo and Sam took on there quest to Mordor. Granted, I'll require more then bread and water for my journey.

That would surely be an awesome farewell to the world.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Frangit View Post
    My dying wish is to find out that Harry Potter and his whole story are real.
    Whaaaat!! Of course they're real...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post
    I don't know, it's so hard to chose just one. We all wear so many hats in our lives, so to speak, and each of them calls for a different wish. I mean, as a parent, my most heart-felt wishes concern my kid; as a daughter, I want to do everything I can for my parents; as a wife, I want my DH to be happy and content; then there is also a bit of "me" in me. It's impossible for me to choose one over another.
    That being said, one thing that keeps coming up (and it's been on my mind for quite a long time) is being a donor. I would want my organs to be donated and transplanted to those who need them. I know it is possible in some countries, but I will never chance it in my own country (for a number of reasons, first and foremost being a high risk of not being resuscitated when needed).
    Feel free to submit as many separate wishes as you choose.

It may not be an organ but if you 'go' before me, I would honoured if you would bequeath me your compassion.

Country
    Country Flag

Quite a story, and hope for all of us there is...thanks for sharing.

If he's still alive, maybe I should just end the competition now and the send the book to your grandfather

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I would wish for all humans to blink out of existence so that evolution could reroll the die and try to come up with something better.
    Wouldn't argue too much with that...trouble is of course, as bad as you might think it is, something worse could result.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    Serious dying wish now:
    Fly out to New Zealand and hike the trail that Frodo and Sam took on there quest to Mordor. Granted, I'll require more then bread and water for my journey.

That would surely be an awesome farewell to the world.
    Unless of course you die in your quest and your body is lost forever in the mountains, a sojourn which could lead you to Barad-dûr...awesome indeed. How appropriate for a Dark Tower junkie.

A vision without a task is but a dream.
    A task without a vision is drudgery.
    A vision with a task is the hope of the world.

You could base yourself with jimimck, have your own mini get together and spend the money you save in accommodation costs on a more luxurious casket. Or, just get a bog standard coffin, send me that money and I will set up the MATTGREENBEAN PERPETUAL DYING WISH COMPETITION.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I vote send the book to stkmw02's grandfather! What a wonderful spirit!!!!!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    I vote send the book to stkmw02's grandfather! What a wonderful spirit!!!!!
    It could happen...

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by agrabin View Post

If he's still alive, maybe I should just end the competition now and the send the book to your grandfather
    Unfortunately, he passed away two days after my 14th birthday. He was a great man and I know he's still "with me" making sure I never forget that no matter what anyone else says, I'm going to be fine. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to share!

Edit: My grandmother, though, is still very much alive! And... shhhh, it's a secret... but she will soon be a GREAT grandmother! (Brice especially cannot share this news on my facebook page! lol)

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by agrabin View Post

Unfortunately, he passed away two days after my 14th birthday. He was a great man and I know he's still "with me" making sure I never forget that no matter what anyone else says, I'm going to be fine. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to share!

Edit: My grandmother, though, is still very much alive! And... shhhh, it's a secret... but she will soon be a GREAT grandmother! (Brice especially cannot share this news on my facebook page! lol)
    Have I shared something there I shouldn't have before?

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Inspired

No, but you are currently the only dt.org - facebook friend I have capable of cross-posting information... so... this is info that cannot be cross-posted.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Congrats!
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Country
    Country Flag

Update...

So far 16 entrants with 21 entries.

2 invalid (unachievable)
    1 disqualified (attempted bribery)

Matters not it to me, but so many DTJ's not interested in this??

Don't let this go to another too cheaply guys...get thinking caps on.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

In fairness to myself. ..I broke the rule before there was a rule. LOL

Krystle: I won't say a word.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    In fairness to myself. ..I broke the rule before there was a rule. LOL

Krystle: I won't say a word.
    That's the type of thing that endears you to us all Brice

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast