Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Callahan's Story *Spoilers*

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

:radioactive: Callahan's Story *Spoilers*

What are your favorite parts of it, if you have any? Or if you don't like it/hate it, why? I know some found it too slow (theres that "slowness" business again). Personally, Callahan's story is one of my favorite parts of this book, especially detailing when he gets lured by Sayre and his waking up in the Way Station and meeting Walter...all WONDERFUL stuff. Sometimes I like to go and just re-read that part specifically 'cause I love it so much.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I love the use of Callahan's story to reveal more about the multiverse with the whole "highways in hiding" thing. The passages about the different presidents on the money, and the different cities across the GW Bridge. That to me is the essence of great Stephen King writing. Callahan's story may unravel slowly, but it is told so richly that I could care less about pace at that point.

Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I love the use of Callahan's story to reveal more about the multiverse with the whole "highways in hiding" thing. The passages about the different presidents on the money, and the different cities across the GW Bridge. That to me is the essence of great Stephen King writing. Callahan's story may unravel slowly, but it is told so richly that I could care less about pace at that point.
    Well said. The whole Highways in Hiding thing is what prompted me to go back and re-read/ read all of King's works. And I always look for the other characters who may have wandered onto those Highways - lots of candidates in there for Tet, Sombra, North Central - in all those stories set between 1977 and 1999...

That is also one of my favorite DT moments because it - along with the ka-tet's little Kansas adventure - links it to all of King's books. Bolded or not I think they are all part of it.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love every word of Callahan's story, but the very top is his encounter with Hitler Brothers, and, subsequently, Calvin and Aaron.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I also loved Callahan's back story. I love the image of him walking across the unseen bridge into the other when's of America. It reminded me very much of Ted Brautigan's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I also loved Callahan's back story. I love the image of him walking across the unseen bridge into the other when's of America. It reminded me very much of Ted Brautigan's history.
    I think the Pere and Brautigan would have really liked one another.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, me too. That would've been cool to see those guys, sat on a porch together with a cold beer, shooting the breeze

Yeah, me too. That would've been cool to see those guys, sat on a porch together with a cold beer, shooting the breeze
    If Callahan could handle the beer without becoming a drunk again.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved it a lot. How he failed and how he lost his belief and how he could stand up and survive... such an amazing story.

Roland would have understood.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I can say that my favorite parts were his description of being able to see the vampires, and the highways that he found. I kind of reminded me of the Talisman

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

My top favourite part was when that main vampire broke his cross because he lost his belief... and what he told him.
    Do you remember what the vampire told Callahan? It rocks but my memory is a bag of... so it's very bad.

Roland would have understood.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I know what you talking about and agree, it was a great phrase, but I can't remember either

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

One of my favorite moments in Callahan's story is when responding to Walter, he actually manages to catch the old demon off guard and get this reply -

"I am what ka and the King and the Tower have made me. We all are. We're caught."

A very cool, deep little insight into Mr. Padick.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    One of my favorite moments in Callahan's story is when responding to Walter, he actually manages to catch the old demon off guard and get this reply -

"I am what ka and the King and the Tower have made me. We all are. We're caught."

A very cool, deep little insight into Mr. Padick.
    Agreed. The whole meeting of the Pere and Walter fascinated me and made me want to read DT-1 all over again knowing the Pere was at the Way Station.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    My top favourite part was when that main vampire broke his cross because he lost his belief... and what he told him.
    Do you remember what the vampire told Callahan? It rocks but my memory is a bag of... so it's very bad.
    From 'Salem's Lot:

"Nowhere left to go," Barlow murmured sadly. His dark eyes bubbled with infernal mirth. "Sad to see a man's faith fail. Ah, well..."

The cross trembled in Callahan's hand and suddenly the last of it's light vanished. It was only a piece of plaster that his mother had bought in a Dublin souvenir shop, probably at a scalper's price. The power it had sent ramming up his arm, enough power to smash down walls and shatter stone, was gone. The muscles remembered the thrumming but could not duplicate it.

Barlow reached from the darkness and plucked the cross from his fingers. Callahan cried out miserably, the cry that had vibrated in the soul-but never the throat-of that long-ago child who had been left alone each night with Mr. Flip peering out of the closet at him between the shutters of sleep. And the next sound would haunt him for the rest of his life: two dry snaps as Barlow broke the arms of the cross, and a meaningless thump as he threw it on the floor.

"God damn you" he cried out.

"It's too late for such melodrama," Barlow said from the darkness. His voice was almost sorrowful. " There is no need of it. You have forgotten the doctine of your own church, is it not so? The cross...the bread and wine...the confessional...only symbols. Without faith the cross is only wood, the bread baked wheat, the wine sour grapes. If you had cast the cross away, you should have beaten me another night. In a way, I hoped it might be so.It has been long since I have met an opponent of any real worth. The boy makes ten of you, false priest.

Suddenly, out of the darkness, hands of amazing strength gripped Callahan's shoulders.

"You would welcome the oblivion of my death now, I think. There is no memory for the Undead; only the hunger and the need to serve the Master. I could make use of you. I could send you among your friends. Yet is there need of that? Without you to lead them, I think they are little. And the boy will tell them. One moves against them at this time. There is, perhaps, a more fitting punishment for you, false priest."

He remembered Matt saying Some things are worse than death.

He tried to struggle away, but the hands held him in a viselike grip. Then one hand left him. There was the sound of cloth moving across bare skin, and then a scaping sound.

The hands moved to his neck.

"Come, false priest. Learn of a true religion. Take my communion."

Understanding washed over Callahan in a ghostly flood.

"No! Don't...don't-"

But the hands were implacable. His head was drawn forward, forward, forward.

"Now, priest," Barlow whispered.

And Callahan's mouth was pressed against the reeking flesh of the vampire's cold throat, where an old vein pulsed. He held his breath for what seemed like aeons, twisting his head wildly and to no avail, smearing the blood acvross his cheeks and forehead and chin like war paint.

Yet at last, he drank.
    I'm not sure if the exact wording is in this dialogue. I'm not sure where in TDT it was mentioned.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

That moment just gives me chills.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Brice

Speaking of which...one of the things I loved about his story was the expansion of understanding of vampires, the different types, how they're working with Sombra Corp etc. Looooooove it.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I simply liked it all because it brought me back to memories of 'Salem's Lot.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

I do love that we got to see what happened to Callahan after he bailed out of Jerusalems Lot, but how it connects with and expands on things within the Dark Tower series is whats the most important to me.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I can understand that. He was just a character I liked alot and remembered fondly from my years earlier readings of "salem's Lot. It was nice to see it expanded upon and connected to the tower.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I do love that we got to see what happened to Callahan after he bailed out of Jerusalems Lot, but how it connects with and expands on things within the Dark Tower series is whats the most important to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I can understand that. He was just a character I liked alot and remembered fondly from my years earlier readings of "salem's Lot. It was nice to see it expanded upon and connected to the tower.
    What you said, I'm glad he played an important role in the end

Yeah and most importantly, he made a fine meal for the Grandfathers.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah and most importantly, he made a fine meal for the Grandfathers.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    If Callahan could handle the beer without becoming a drunk again.
    Root beer?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast