Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Australian billionaire determined to construct real life Jurassic Park

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neosatus View Post
    Guy's a moron who apparently thinks his money can buy him anything. Shit's not even possible. I lol @ him.
    Not for nothing, but do you have a billion dollars? If not, it's a bit silly throwing around the word "Moron" when he is obviously not. At least business-wise. Just a thought....
    No I don't, and what does having money have anything to do with intelligence? Is Paris Hilton a genius because she's rich? I could rattle off lots of rich morons.
    If someone thinks they can throw money at something like this and make it happen, even though it's scientifically IMPOSSIBLE, then yes they are a moron, imo. I don't care how much money they have.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what James said, verbatim

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

OK, what ever you guys say, but who is naive? Think about it it. I'll leave and let you guys drone on but, you will see the facts remain on my side. If, you care to research. Good luck!!! I applaud all of your efforts. I really do!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm willing to suspend my doubts and consider it as a possibility. Jn fact scientifically it's not impossible at all. See I don't think he has to be a moron (I did research the guy a bit...and have to agree with Bill that business wise the guy's sharp (though also pretty eccentric in his ideas)), but I do question the wisdom of doing this sort of thing IF you can. I mean just because you can do a thing and want to doesn't mean you should do that thing.

A couple other notes. This is just rumor. He has not confirmed his desire to do this. Here's how it goes. It's said or maybe known he likes dinosaurs. He IS also currently working on having an exact replica of the Titanic built set for it's maiden voyage around 2016...so we know he's a bit eccentric. He had a big announcement to make regarding his estimated $4 billion plans for his Coolum resort. This rumor started shortly before that announcement. The announcement said nothing of dinosaurs and according to different reports he either didn't answer or denied when questioned about it. This rumor started with him supposedly wanting to clone ONE dinosaur and became him wanting a real life Jurasiic Park. So what does this amount to? People like to talk about the rich and famous. I'm not saying it's not based on some shred of truth, but I'll bet $8 billion there are no immediate plans for a Jurasiic Park. Oh, and btw Russian scientists are CURRENTLY working on cloning a mammoth and it probably can be done. The science is there or damned close at least.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Jn fact scientifically it's not impossible at all.
    This is exactly the point.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As far as I understand, the problem with cloning long- extinct species is that their remains have been exposed to the elements for such a long time, DNA in their cells had been broken into pieces. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, at the moment there is no method of "glueing" those pieces back together, so there is nothing with which to replace the DNA in the donor cell, and technically cloning of a dinosaur is impossible.
    But, having deep enough pockets, and by involving top scientists, it might very well be possible to develop such a method - it's being researched in several labs anyway.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Banned Thelangoleer will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Fine

Cloning such a complex organism IS possible if you had a source of DNA.... problem there is you have no tissue samples, saliva, fresh feces, etc. to draw from and the other incomplete DNA sources cannot be completed. Second - you would need to implant this DNA into something (since dinosaurs were reptilian, they were oviparous - meaning born from eggs) so you would need an animal of THE SAME Genus and species to give birth to a new dinosaur. Its just like saying we are going to clone a gorilla if they go extinct by inserting their DNA into a human or some batshit crazy idea like that.

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thelangoleer View Post
    Cloning such a complex organism IS possible if you had a source of DNA.... problem there is you have no tissue samples, saliva, fresh feces, etc. to draw from and the other incomplete DNA sources cannot be completed. Second - you would need to implant this DNA into something (since dinosaurs were reptilian, they were oviparous - meaning born from eggs) so you would need an animal of THE SAME Genus and species to give birth to a new dinosaur. Its just like saying we are going to clone a gorilla if they go extinct by inserting their DNA into a human or some batshit crazy idea like that.
    This.

And to you guys saying it's possible, you can chatter all you want but it's not possible. It's simply not possible. DNA decays... The only way it would be possible to get a relatively fresh sample of DNA from a now extinct species is to have a time machine, lol.

Any of you saying it's possible: Where are you going to get a relatively fresh DNA sample that would work?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course it's possible! It happened in a movie, right ?!

MOVIES DON'T LIE

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The arctic? You might only get a couple cells from a specimen, but that is all it takes to start. It is being attempted by scientists with a mammoth now. Can they do it? Who knows. Maybe they'll succeed and maybe they won't, but these are experts in the field of cloning who think they can with financial backing from people who think they can. Now a 10,000 year old mammoth isn't a dinosaur (and maybe that will never happen), but I guess what I'm saying is if we don't try to do things everything is impossible.

Science deals in the impossible. The impossible of today is the possible of tomorrow (probably not literally tomorrow). At one time it was impossible for man to fly, or to land on the moon, or to... See my point? I'm not saying it can be done now, but yes, we are headed in that direction.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The arctic? You might only get a couple cells from a specimen, but that is all it takes to start. It is being attempted by scientists with a mammoth now. Can they do it? Who knows. Maybe they'll succeed and maybe they won't, but these are experts in the field of cloning who think they can with financial backing from people who think they can. Now a 10,000 year old mammoth isn't a dinosaur (and maybe that will never happen), but I guess what I'm saying is if we don't try to do things everything is impossible.

Science deals in the impossible. The impossible of today is the possible of tomorrow (probably not literally tomorrow). At one time it was impossible for man to fly, or to land on the moon, or to... See my point? I'm not saying it can be done now, but yes, we are headed in that direction.
    You're right. 10k years and millions of years is a big difference.

I thought the discussion was about whether it's possible--meaning possible now. If you want to go into what may be possible in a thousands years, that's really a different discussion altogether.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree that it's a big difference between 10,000 years and millions, but just a couple of years ago it wouldn't even be a consideration. It may not really be that far off to clone a dinosaur either.

As for what the discussion is about, I thought it was about this billionaire that is allegedly trying to do this which certainly would include whether it is possible and whether he should. My bringing up the matters in my last post clearly were in response to your previous one. Discussions deviate from their original topic some in order to illustrate points. That is all I was doing. I mean yes, it could be thousands of years, but it really could be a week from now. How long it takes to get to that point isn't really that relevant. It could even be that we are there scientifically and we (meaning the general public) just don't know it yet?

If you rescue me

I agree that it's a big difference between 10,000 years and millions, but just a couple of years ago it wouldn't even be a consideration. It may not really be that far off to clone a dinosaur either.

As for what the discussion is about, I thought it was about this billionaire that is allegedly trying to do this which certainly would include whether it is possible and whether he should. My bringing up the matters in my last post clearly were in response to your previous one. Discussions deviate from their original topic some in order to illustrate points. That is all I was doing. I mean yes, it could be thousands of years, but it really could be a week from now. How long it takes to get to that point isn't really that relevant. It could even be that we are there scientifically and we (meaning the general public) just don't know it yet?
    Look, there's a big difference between talking about what's possible and what may be possible.

It was always aerodynamically possible for a man to fly in an airplane. It just took figuring it out, to do it.

But that's different from something that is probably not possible, no matter how much "figuring" we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    OK, what ever you guys say, but who is naive? Think about it it. I'll leave and let you guys drone on but, you will see the facts remain on my side. If, you care to research. Good luck!!! I applaud all of your efforts. I really do!!!!
    I'd love to see the facts you're talking about Bill.

Here is an article that explains why it's not: http://www.unmuseum.org/dnadino.htm

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Look, there's a big difference between talking about what's possible and what may be possible.

It was always aerodynamically possible for a man to fly in an airplane. It just took figuring it out, to do it.

But that's different from something that is probably not possible, no matter how much "figuring" we do.
    See, but in retrospect everything we've ever done was possible through figuring it out. Science and time (great or small) turn the impossible (which I really don't believe in at all though I would concede it's somewhat improbable) into the possible. Most of our advances have come from turning the impossible (or improbable) through figuring out into the possible (or probable).

Anyhow there is not a shred of evidence to demonstrate that this guy is trying to do any of this at all. It is all rumor and speculation.

If you rescue me

See, but in retrospect everything we've ever done was possible through figuring it out. Science and time (great or small) turn the impossible (which I really don't believe in at all though I would concede it's somewhat improbable) into the possible. Most of our advances have come from turning the impossible (or improbable) through figuring out into the possible (or probable).

Anyhow there is not a shred of evidence to demonstrate that this guy is trying to do any of this at all. It is all rumor and speculation.
    You're not understanding my point. Of course everything we've done was possible. That goes without saying. But some things are not, and never will be possible and I think this is one of them.

Even the best samples retrieved from fossils from millions of years ago are mere fragments of incredibly long DNA chains. I'd love to see a credible scenario in which it may, some day, be possible though.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

You're not understanding my point. Of course everything we've done was possible. That goes without saying. But some things are not, and never will be possible and I think this is one of them.
    I think that's where exactly we disagree precisely. I don't think in terms or possible and impossible. I think in terms of probabilities which requires everything to have some possibility...even if that is an astronomically low probability. For me all things are possible. A deviation for illustrative purposes would be that I'm agnostic and find it extremely unlikely that most people's apparent idea of a god exists, but I still consider it a possibility, though one of the least likely ones.

Even the best samples retrieved from fossils from millions of years ago are mere fragments of incredibly long DNA chains. I'd love to see a credible scenario in which it may, some day, be possible though.
    I've never said it was likely. You said it was impossible. I only say that it's not. Nothing is. I would agree it's extremely unlikely. I simply can't conceive of the impossible. i'll share what I have found a little later. Now it's nothing that's going to blow you away and you might even know it already, but it is interesting.

If you rescue me

I think that's where exactly we disagree precisely. I don't think in terms or possible and impossible. I think in terms of probabilities which requires everything to have some possibility...even if that is an astronomically low probability. For me all things are possible. A deviation for illustrative purposes would be that I'm agnostic and find it extremely unlikely that most people's apparent idea of a god exists, but I still consider it a possibility, though one of the least likely ones.

I've never said it was likely. You said it was impossible. I only say that it's not. Nothing is. I would agree it's extremely unlikely. I simply can't conceive of the impossible. i'll share what I have found a little later. Now it's nothing that's going to blow you away and you might even know it already, but it is interesting.
    Alright, then you're just getting into the ridiculous. Will we some day able to make people that are half animal? Maybe. Time travel? Maybe. Walking through walls? Maybe.

Obviously I was talking about what's possible now or in the near future with the information we have now. And as of right now, there's ZERO possibility of doing this even with futuristic imaginary technology.

Here's another example for comparison: We can see pretty damn far into the past with our telescopes--up to a few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang. After that, the only way we could see further is if we could somehow see faster than light.

But with your logic, this may be possible some day. As is Harry Potter magic, morphing into other animals, delivering gifts to all houses in a single night and creating our own galaxies etc. etc.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Alright, then you're just getting into the ridiculous. Will we some day able to make people that are half animal? Maybe. Time travel? Maybe. Walking through walls? Maybe.

Obviously I was talking about what's possible now or in the near future with the information we have now. And as of right now, there's ZERO possibility of doing this even with futuristic imaginary technology.

Here's another example for comparison: We can see pretty damn far into the past with our telescopes--up to a few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang. After that, the only way we could see further is if we could somehow see faster than light.

But with your logic, this may be possible some day. As is Harry Potter magic, morphing into other animals, delivering gifts to all houses in a single night and creating our own galaxies etc. etc.
    Oh, yes I'm being ridiculous. Rather than delve further into idiocy and *gasp* attempt to offer rebuttal to your brilliant and infallible post which is so obviously free of sarcasm, dismissal, and logical fallacy...this non-argumentitive, non derisive post which expertly defends your opinion as opposed to dealing with my obviously simplistic and childish arguments I'll simply remove myself from this conversation (with you) and wish you the best with that.

BTW: We can currently see faster than light. You just have to slow the light down. This can be done now. Also possible is half animal people. We've already worked around the human body's natural tendency to reject foreign matter and accept organs as it's own. Why would we want to do that though.Time travel? Tachyons travel through time (actually in a complex way all things do). I'd say we're a ways from an actual time machine though probably. Walking through walls? Matter consists of more apparently empty space than anything else. Seeing faster than light is no problem IBM devised a microchip 7 years ago that can slow down light through a reduction in the group velocity of light. Slow light should yield increased energy based on EInstein's theorems and this is being investigated now. Also on a recent TED talk a femtocamera was shown which can film faster than light. So much is out there. So much is possible NOW.

If you rescue me

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked reading your conversation. That is all.

Banned Thelangoleer will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Fine

lol guys coming from someone with his bachelors in biology and masters in molecular biology - lets just say its impossible and leave it at that.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

argumentum ad verecundiam

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Precisely. After it actually becomes possible (or probable), the question arises whether or not it was/is desirable; by then it's too late, but this sequence has never been reversed. Thus, the present conversation makes perfect sense whether or not cloning is possible, or even whether or not that guy actually is going to do anything.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Precisely. After it actually becomes possible (or probable), the question arises whether or not it was/is desirable; by then it's too late, but this sequence has never been reversed. Thus, the present conversation makes perfect sense whether or not cloning is possible, or even whether or not that guy actually is going to do anything.
    Well for me a words like possible/impossible not only set limits, but they are independent of a time frame. If you say something is possible it means it can be done or someday it might be able to be done whereas impossible means it can NEVER be done. The definitions of the words don't allow for another interpretation. Absolutely everything has some level of PROBABILTY. To say something is not currently possible and is unlikely to be is different then declaring it to be impossible.

If you rescue me

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not gonna side with Bricey and say ANYTHING is possible, but I would say that DAMN NEAR ANYTHING is possible. I don't know why cloning a dinosaur would be the "Nope, too impossible" limit ... We're in the beginning stages of what we can do with cloning technology, microbiology, and so on ... We've found dinosaur bones, samples, etc ... Who's to say there isn't something in the bones that a future generation can use to reverse engineer a dinosaur? And if it came down to it, once we figure out this whole time travel thing, we can just go back and grab a little baby t-rex ourselves. Tah dah!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast