Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why does Walter hate Roland? SPOILERS

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Dud-a-chum? View Post
    In W&G, he is able to dissapear completely in an instant. If that was a parlour trick, then I am impressed. (Btw, if he were merely projecting his own image, or something similar, why did he gasp when he was shot at in the first place?)

In the comics we see that he uses magic to literally physically change his appearance, and he even opens up portals to walk through. That's some really impressive smoke-and-mirror effects!
    Agreed. He seems to be able to, at the very least, make magic doors. This makes him at least as powerful as Sheemie, and I don't mean that as sarcastically as it could be taken. Walter has more power than most.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure, but is that anything against the spider boy? I don't think it is.

Roland himself says that stories get overblown after time--I just believe that Flagg was mostly a cut rate magician.

Sorry about that guys.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gunslinger Apprentice Dud-a-chum? is on a distinguished road Dud-a-chum?'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Sure, but is that anything against the spider boy? I don't think it is.

Roland himself says that stories get overblown after time--I just believe that Flagg was mostly a cut rate magician.

Sorry about that guys.

Everything I posted in my last comment should give you an idea of what Flagg can actually do. Given this evidence, I think Flagg could have gotten away from Mordred, that's just my opinion. Even if Flagg wasn't as powerfull as he was made out to be, it doesn't mean he was completely mortal, either, and yet that is what he is "revealed" to be in book seven.

I guess what I'm saying is: had Flagg not been described these ways in the past, I would have no problem in believing that he could be taken out by Mordred so easily, but since there was evidence to the contrary in the earlier books, it to me created a big contradiction in the character.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I can see that, all I am saying is that the "evidence" may be something we took on faith as opposed to actual fact.

I am not saying the guy wasn't talented, he clearly was but I believe most of his successes were through misdirection.

If he was a powerful as we had been lead to believe, why even wear the useless metal hood? Shouldn't he have not been worried about being taken over?

Gunslinger Apprentice Dud-a-chum? is on a distinguished road Dud-a-chum?'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I can see that, all I am saying is that the "evidence" may be something we took on faith as opposed to actual fact.

I am not saying the guy wasn't talented, he clearly was but I believe most of his successes were through misdirection.

If he was a powerful as we had been lead to believe, why even wear the useless metal hood? Shouldn't he have not been worried about being taken over?
    That's exactly my point, the character is all-too-mortal there, where as in every other book he is larger-than-life. Makes no sense.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

My position is the "larger than life" aspect of the man is mostly not true.

I understand it read that way but that doesn't mean it is the way it actually was.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You don't become Satan's representative when the world ends if you're just a competent magician.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Very nice point, Cyber!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    You don't become Satan's representative when the world ends if you're just a competent magician.
    Unless the "satan" in question is as crazy as a shit house mouse

For instance, I am reading a book right now where the main bad guy is going around eating his enemies (pre historic Indian book). The ruler of the bad folks knows he is just a man but allows folks to consider him a monster because it furthers his cause.

Does that make any kind of sense?

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Flagg has allowed others to give him titles that he, himself, doesn't refuse.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So basically we should ignore most of Flagg's achievements and assume that he's no more powerful than a homeless man in his underwear? The guy was powerful enough that A.) God himself intervened to bring him down and B.) He managed to escape said intervention by God. When he was at his peak, he was definitely a force to be reckoned with.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure why it always has to go so far

I never said Flagg was powerless--he was far from that.

Just that he may have had the benefit of a well built reputation in many cases.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not saying that Flagg hasn't mislead people about his shortcomings, but he's far, far more than a "cut rate magician".

My Collection

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

So we agree to be somewhere in between "cut rate" and "first class"

I'm cool with that.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

So basically we should ignore most of Flagg's achievements and assume that he's no more powerful than a homeless man in his underwear? The guy was powerful enough that A.) God himself intervened to bring him down and B.) He managed to escape said intervention by God. When he was at his peak, he was definitely a force to be reckoned with.
    I agree with that, just that he allowed others to imagine him even more powerful

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I'm not saying that Flagg hasn't mislead people about his shortcomings, but he's far, far more than a "cut rate magician".
    Same here. I think Flagg is a human that became a demon, over his long life, and at different times has been more powerful than others. On the other hand he likes having the rep to help keep folk in line too.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Same here. I think Flagg is a human that became a demon, over his long life, and at different times has been more powerful than others. On the other hand he likes having the rep to help keep folk in line too.
    agreed. he was a man at birth, he became something else in time.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    agreed. he was a man at birth, he became something else in time.
    Yes, exactly.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I don't think Walter really loved Gabrielle.... she was a means to spawn his evil baby...
    Like in The Stand

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    I don't think Walter really loved Gabrielle.... she was a means to spawn his evil baby...
    Like in The Stand
    There's nothing to suggest that he wanted Gabrielle for a baby. If she was means for a greater purpose, it was to spur Roland into fighting Cort. And even at that, I think if Walter was able to love anyone, he'd probably love Gabrielle.

My Collection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3