Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King "Lettered" Editions-Define

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I have not seen a lettered DT2 or DT3.
    That is because there were/are none. Unless a person wrote in a letter on one of the possibly blank sig sheets.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    ...IMO a "lettered" edition can only be an edition that is lettered A-Z, and or AA-ZZ That's it. No matter what the "design" of the book, case size the book can only contain the "Letter(s)". There can only be 26 A-Z lettered and only 26 AA-ZZ copies. Anything else can be a wonderful "edition", but should be noted as a "PC" rendition of the lettered version.
    This is pretty much how I see the world of Lettered editions as well, although I'd include TCK as well if that is the original intention of the publisher.

Also, I tend to view a Lettered edition that completely matches its sibling Numbered edition to be a money grab. I believe those who purchase Lettered editions ought to get something extra for the higher price they pay.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigCoffinHunter is on a distinguished road BigCoffinHunter's Avatar

I'd say Tippy's list looks pretty good. Although you left off the Lettered edition of Cemetery Dance's "Century's Best Horror Fiction." If you want to count books like the Lettered FDNS and IT, then I would add Century's Best since King has already signed the signature sheet for that Lettered edition, even though the release date is still TBD.
    "Smile... It is a fine day..."

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BigCoffinHunter View Post
    ...then I would add Century's Best since King has already signed the signature sheet for that Lettered edition, even though the release date is still TBD.
    Motto of Calvin's Corner: No picture, it does not exist.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigCoffinHunter is on a distinguished road BigCoffinHunter's Avatar

So what about Artist Editions/Copies? Tippy put the AE of Talisman on the list, which I would certainly consider to be the equivalent of a Lettered edition in that it has a completely different signature sheet and had a limited run.

However, I've got one of the Artist's Copies of Eyes of the Dragon marked as 1 of 10 in the book itself. It's certainly different, but I do not know that I would group it along with the Lettered editions. I've always thought of that one in the same terms as my Proof copy of Six Stories (1 of 28 copies). In both of those cases, I always considered the books more than a Numbered but less than a Lettered.

Then again, I have always passed on the opportunity to purchase "Lettered" copies of books that were in no way different than the Numbered edition (Lettered/Numbered The Stand vs. Lettered/Numbered The Regulators) due to the fact that these copies are essentially the same as the Numbereds other than their perhaps being association copies (I had the chance to buy a Lettered copy of The Stand about eight years ago for $1,000.00 over the going rate for a Numbered copy and I balked at the premium).

Of course, I do consider a Publisher's Copy or Presentation Copy of a book with a unique Lettered state to be the same as the Lettered copies of that book. For example, I have a Publisher's Copy of the Lettered state of From a Buick 8 as well as a Presentation Copy of the zippered state of Skeleton Crew, both of which I regard as Lettered editions despite their not having a letter A-ZZ.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

So what about Artist Editions/Copies? Tippy put the AE of Talisman on the list, which I would certainly consider to be the equivalent of a Lettered edition in that it has a completely different signature sheet and had a limited run.
    The Talisman AE is not the equivalent of a Lettered edition, because there is an actual Lettered edition with the same signature sheet.

I have not seen a lettered DT2 or DT3.
    That is because there were/are none. Unless a person wrote in a letter on one of the possibly blank sig sheets.
    I've got a copy of DT7 with an unnumbered signature sheet that I suppose could magically become a Lettered

I suppose that if one wants to be technical about it, the semantics break down to the difference between a Lettered "Copy" and a Lettered "State." A Lettered The Stand is a Lettered Copy of the Numbered State. My copy of the zippered edition of Skeleton Crew is a Presentation Copy of the Lettered State of that book.

Personally, I see no distinction, provided that the book be the proper state, signed, and not have some sort of damage or defect that caused it to receive a designation other than a Letter (e.g. a Publisher's Copy). Of course, if a Lettered copy has some special provenance that has actually been documented (e.g. a Lettered book's having been given to Stephen King by the publisher who then personally gifted the book to another author, friend, family member, or acquaintance), I suppose that would make me view it differently. However, to view two books of the same state with the exact same signature page as being completely different simply because one has an actual Letter on the sheet and the other a P/C (or equivalent) when the books were taken from the same batch produced during the same run is beyond the distinctions I personally make. I might pay a slight premium to have a Lettered copy over a Publisher's Copy, but not much.

In the case of my Publisher's Copy of the Lettered state of From a Buick 8, the difference literally comes down to a Lettered copy's being marked as such and sold to a Cemetery Dance customer directly at retail price and my Publisher's Copy being marked as such and sent to Barry over at Gauntlet Press free of charge by Richard Chizmar from Cemetery Dance, after which Barry sold it to me.

I view my Artist's Copy of The Eyes of the Dragon as slightly different in that it once belonged to the artist (Kenny Ray Linkous) himself, who personally wrote in the limitation by hand prior to giving them away or selling them (at least I'm pretty sure that Linkous wrote it in, although it may have been Alpert). Similarly, I view my Proof copy of Six Stories as slightly different in that Michael Alpert wrote in the Proof designation and limitation by hand. Both of these books have a story that goes along with their inception. Then again, I view my three unsigned, unnumbered PC copies of the Numbered state of Skeleton Crew as completely different from and the lesser of both the Lettered and Numbered states in that it has no King signature. Still, this was by design; these copies were never meant to be signed or numbered.

That copy of DT7 that I have with no number, on the other hand, is a fluke that arose from the person doing the shipping's having accidentally neglected to write in the number before sending it out. Of course, someone could technically identify that as a completely different, rare, "1 of ???" copy that a true completist simply must have if he or she is to claim that his or her Stephen King collection is truly complete; but as I said, I personally do not make such distinctions.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

wow
    Good question Jerome.

I would consider TCK 1/33 as a "Lettered" in the sense it is the "better" of the two versions of the same S/L title by the same publisher. By using the same logic, I guess the Postscripts #10 with slipcase is a "Lettered" version too.

The Gunslinger PC copy.....I would not consider it a S/L as it is no different from the numbered version.

Here is my list...feel free to hack it apart and debate. I left a few ambiguous items on it.

1980 Firestarter 26 Lettered
    1981 Cujo 26 Lettered
    1981 Danse Macabre 15 Lettered
    1982 Dark Tower I Gunslinger 52 + ?
    1982-85 The Plant 26 + 200 x 3 years = 678 (NOT including proof copies)
    1982 Whispers - 26 Lettered
    1983 Christine 26 Lettered
    1983 Frankenstein 26 Lettered
    1984 Eyes Of the Dragon 52 Lettered
    1984 The Talisman 70 AE's=(SKC lists the following: 30 AC's, lettered-indeterminate, 70 AE's, 5 designer, 1,200 #'d)
    1985 Cycle of the Werewolf (8 presentation copies)
    1985 Skeleton Crew 52 Lettered 1 skin
    1987 Dark Tower II 35 Lettered
    1988 Letters from Hell 26 Lettered
    1989 Dolan’s Cadillac 1,000+250+26 = 1276 (SKC lists numerous states with indeterminate #'s) Total=>1,276
    1989 The Killer Inside Me 26 Lettered
    1990 The Stand 52 Lettered
    1991 Dark Tower III 26 Lettered
    1991 Signatures 26 Lettered
    1993 House Next Door (1993 edition by Olde New York Press) 26 Lettered
    1996 Regulators 52 Lettered
    1996 The Girl Next Door 52 Lettered
    1997 Cujo guitar (2 shapes, 10 Dreadnaught shape and 14 Grand Auditorium shape, 125 each) = 250
    1997 Six Stories 200 roman numbered for the author's private use
    1998 Legends 50 + 200 = 250
    1998 The Best of Cemetery Dance 52 Lettered
    1999 The New Lieutenant's Rap 500+24 Proofs=524
    2000 Dystopia 26 Lettered
    2000 From a Buick 8 52 Lettered
    2000 Life in the Cinema 52 Lettered
    2003 Borderlands 5 - 52 Lettered
    2004 Quietly Now 52 Letered
    2004 Salems Lot 300 + 80 + 15 + 10 = 405
    2004 The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon 125+ 15 = 140
    2005 Transgressions 26 Lettered
    2005 Great Ghost Stories 52 Lettered only
    2006 Secretary of Dreams: Volume One: 52 Lettered
    2007 The Green Mile 52 Lettered
    2007 Postscripts #10 200 (numbered with slipcase)
    2007 The Colorado Kid 99 #'ed 1-33 x 3 artists (in traycase)
    2009 He Is Legend 52 Lettered
    2010 The Secretary of Dreams Volume Two 52 Lettered
    2010 Riding The Bullet 52 Lettered
    2010 Legacies 52 Lettered
    2011 J.N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques - 52 Lettered
    2011 Full Dark, No Stars 52 Lettered
    2011 Blockade Billy 52 Lettered
    2011 The Big Book of Necon 52 Lettered
    2011 IT: The 25th Anniversary Edition 52 Lettered

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

it is a bit overwhelming when you see it all together like that

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by neosatus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I really don't mean this sarcastically, but I only consider a book lettered if there is actually a letter.
    Pretty much, via the KISS method.

I don't think PC copies of Slinger should be considered Lettered either way. Further more, I don't even consider PC copies of any edition as official copies of said edition. I know why they are needed--as extras in case there is damage to one or more of the copies of the set. But after all copies have been distributed, any remaining PC copies should be destroyed. I don't like how all of these PC are left running around, inflating the number of the set. Publishers should stick to the actual number that is released, not use these PC copies to supplement their income.
    I don't have a problem with publishers copies as long as they don't get out of control like they did with Dark Harvest! I like the way Grant does them. For example DTII DOTT has a limitation of 850, 800 of which are for sale some of the other 50 are used as replacement copies the remainder are marked author's copies, artist's copies, and publisher's copies, etc. and distributed to those people to present to whomever they want. I think it is cool to get one of these particularly one that went to the author or artist. It would be really cool if it became the norm for these to have additional limitation in them, even if it is hand written, stating this is 1of twelve artist's copies or 1 of 28 publisher copies. I don,t know if Cemetery Dance, Subterranean, or any of the others differentiate out of series copies other than labeling them all PC or how many they usually have but it would be cool to find out! I know I saw one of the PC copies of one of the CD King publications that Glenn Chadbourne illustrated and it had artist's copy written above the PC and was remarqued. I do not know if Glenn wrote this himself in his copies, but how could you not think something like that as a very cool and special copy! Sorry about the long winded post, lettered editions are lettered although roman numeral copies and the tray-cased TCK are not lettered they are the equivalent of the lettered.

Ken

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Glenn wrote that himself, I asked him to

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

actually,

I, V & X are letters, as are P & C

123456789 are numbers

syntax is everything...

O is the only question... is it an O or a 0

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    actually,

123456789 are numbers

syntax is everything...

I have to admit you have a point there, roman numerals are letterers. The O vs. 0 is easy if you put the / across the zero.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    Glenn wrote that himself, I asked him to
    Was that a copy that belonged to Glenn or one you owned and asked him to Remarque?

Ken

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry I should have explained better, it was one of Glenn's copies & I asked him to mark it so

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

actually,

123456789 are numbers

syntax is everything...

I, V and X are letters, but when used in the Roman numeral system they designate numbers.
    0123456789 are the 10 single digit numbers in our "base ten" system.
    We as humans likely use the base ten since we have 10 digits on our two hands.
    Speaking of numbers Terry, 1's and 0's are what you should be using...

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

actually,

123456789 are numbers

syntax is everything...

I, V and X are letters, but when used in the Roman numeral system they designate numbers.
    0123456789 are the 10 single digit numbers in our "base ten" system.
    We as humans likely use the base ten since we have 10 digits on our two hands.
    Speaking of numbers Terry, 1's and 0's are what you should be using...
    having received the Latin achievement award two years in a row in high shool way back when Latin was still taught.... I'm aware of the roman numeric system...
    and when in ancient rome speaking Latin... I'll use numbers as the romans did... til then, to me... VIX is short for Vixon

01001000 01000001 01001000 01000001 01001000 01000001
    - 01010011 01101001 01110010 01000010 01101111 01101111 01101101 01101101 01100101

Gunslinger Apprentice hyraxia will become famous soon enough hyraxia's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I treat lettered copies as being the same if they're from the same print run... "A-Z, PC, no limitation" etc... all the same... To me a PC copy is an "out of series" copy of the lettered publication, but it is still part of the lettered run. That said, as you know, A-Z sells better than PC, unless said PC copy has some provenance...
    www.hyraxia.com - Specialist sellers of Speculative Fiction Modern First Editions.

Quote Originally Posted by hyraxia View Post
    I treat lettered copies as being the same if they're from the same print run... "A-Z, PC, no limitation" etc... all the same... To me a PC copy is an "out of series" copy of the lettered publication, but it is still part of the lettered run. That said, as you know, A-Z sells better than PC, unless said PC copy has some provenance...
    This may be true, but I also think that PC copies of a lettered state drag down the value of the regular lettered copies, which may be one of the reasons that Lettered copies of Cemetery Dance books frequently sell below the issue price on the secondary market.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hyraxia View Post
    This may be true, but I also think that PC copies of a lettered state drag down the value of the regular lettered copies, which may be one of the reasons that Lettered copies of Cemetery Dance books frequently sell below the issue price on the secondary market.
    This seems a highly debatable point because the "PC" had to be printed to allow for damage, etc. However, I see your point. Fortunately, I do not own any "Lettered" editions which makes it a bit easier for me to share my three beans!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Debate some more please.

Along the Path of the Beam 2929 will become famous soon enough 2929's Avatar

To the point raised previously ("lettered" vs. "lettered state"):

I own several Subterranean Press titles that have the attributes of the lettered state, but do not have a letter on the limitation page. Does the fact that they have a different binding and are traycased make them "lettered" copies?

My take is that, No, they should not be considered such unless they are actually lettered, and that the ones I have should be considered PCs/out of series copies in the lettered state.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

A-Z, AA-ZZ are lettered.
    PC is PC and not lettered.
    Numbered is numbered and not lettered.

PC copies are extras for artist, author, etc...not part of the run.

To the point of first editions, I consider the first appearance of any story: short, novella, novel to be a first edition. I don't consider galley, proof or ARC's since they are promotional tools for review purposes. The exceptions are The Plant (which was signed/numbered and lettered but also given away) and DT7 ARC (which is signed/numbered). The first edition of The Plant 4-6 was the download in 2000. Firsts of short stories are in magazines, fanzines, books, etc...not the collection later on. Night Shift is a first but most of the stories are reprints.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Are AAA-ZZZ lettered?
    To a purist, only A-Z are lettered. Everything else should be considered important and valuable, but nothing compares to 1-26 (or less-see Danse Macabre).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast