Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Robin Furth addresses inconsistencies between DT comics and The Wind...

  1. #1
    Nozz-A-La Drinking Skank WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    4,319
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default Robin Furth addresses inconsistencies between DT comics and The Wind...

    SPOILERS !!!! DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE READ ALL THE BOOKS


    She and Martha 'had a laugh' over us pointing out timeline/plot inconsistencies. Apparently, there aren't any because comic books are on a different level of the tower.

    That's what it says in the newest issue of the DT comics. I'll take a picture and post it if there's any interest.

    Can you say 'cop out'?

  2. #2
    Can Toi DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,994
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Seriously? That's just....what the hell?

    I definitely want to see a picture, I need to see this for myself!


    I help where I can.
    I will not fight!


    You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

  3. #3
    Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Uttoxeter
    Posts
    140
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    That's...

    ...disappointing.
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

    Red Cloud

  4. #4
    Word Slinger Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,014

    Default

    Steve would say the same thing -- there are other worlds than these.

  5. #5
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Yankee Stadium
    Posts
    28,184
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    She and Martha 'had a laugh' over us pointing out timeline/plot inconsistencies. Apparently, there aren't any because comic books are on a different level of the tower.

    That's what it says in the newest issue of the DT comics. I'll take a picture and post it if there's any interest.

    Can you say 'cop out'?
    Cop Out!!!

  6. #6
    Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lettiland
    Posts
    22,328
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Really I'd have suspected as much wthout her saying it. I've never even considered the comics canon so it doesn't bother me a bit.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

    If you rescue me
    Iíll be your friend forever


    I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)



  7. #7
    Nozz-A-La Drinking Skank WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    4,319
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Steve would say the same thing -- there are other worlds than these.
    So anything goes?

    It's really not a big deal. They could've just admitted the oversights and all would be well.

    The newest issue even goes as far as re-writting the original material.
    Spoiler:
    Roland gives Jake a compas and enters the caves alone. Jake enters the caves, gets lost, gets attacked by rats, sees visions in the fire etc
    . Why not calling it a 'new original series based on King's opus' (or whatever) because when you're rewritting original material, that's not an adaptation. It seems like this is
    Spoiler:
    a different cycle/loop
    which means it really is not an adaptation at all. I will go on record and say that I'm convinced the newest issue was written AFTER people noticed timeline inconsitencies and she further changed the comic books just so she can support her 'other worlds' theory.

  8. #8
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Yankee Stadium
    Posts
    28,184
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I stopped buying/reading the comics after Jericho Hill. Seemed silly when they started on the books/stories. Why not just read the real deal, right? I guess it makes a little sense to change it up otherwise why not just read the books. However, there should be some notation as WDIL pointed out.

    I agree with Brice. I never considered the comics any kind of canon. Just a fun way to speculate.

  9. #9
    Nozz-A-La Drinking Skank WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    4,319
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default




  10. #10
    Nozz-A-La Drinking Skank WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    4,319
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    What level of the tower is it anyway? Clearly, it's not the one from the books, it's also not the one that comes after the books
    Spoiler:
    (he has the horn at the end of book 7 back in the desert)
    and he doesn't have it in the comics.

    Hey, if 'other worlds' justifies this fiasco, I have an idea for Mrs. Furth. They ALL meet at the top of the tower and have a gangbang. Now that's something I'd pay to see. It's no less ridicilous than what's happening in comic books. Other worlds my ass.

    Signed,

    Disappointed Fan

  11. #11
    The Hound CyberGhostface is a jewel in the rough CyberGhostface is a jewel in the rough CyberGhostface is a jewel in the rough CyberGhostface is a jewel in the rough CyberGhostface's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,547
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Still waiting for her to acknowledge what was up with Flagg's origin and omitting the fact that he was raped as a child. :/


    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

    My Collection

  12. #12
    Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dartford. Another borderlands place.
    Posts
    1,659
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    The problem with the 'comics happened in another world' theory, for me, is that one of the reason why I read the prequel comics was to fill in gaps left in the novels. If they those events happened in another world, then did they occur in the Novel-verse at all? Or is it just the stuff that contradicts?

    Okay, I say 'a problem', it's not that big a problem really, but it makes me think. I guess one can simply make their own decision on that.

    Also, with the other worlds thing, I get the impression that alternate versions of a character are at least the same species! Sure, in The Talisman,
    Spoiler:
    the bullies at Sunset house appear to have gargoyles as twinners, and Gardener's own psychotic son's twinner is a maggotty monster in The Territories world. However, it's explained that this kid had mutated as a result of a radiation sickness in the Blasted Lands. I wouldn't be surprised if the gargoyles started off as human too.


    In the case of Maerlyn though, having one as good and one as evil would be quite a stretch in itself, although not too much of one I guess as I think even the good Maerlyn has a dark side and might well have dabbled in dodgy areas, particularly if he had a hand in the Wizard's Rainbow. But one as a demon of the prim and one human? (At least I assume the one from The Wind... is human, I got that impression, as he speaks about being a lad at one point. If he's not, I don't believe a demon can be good, although Mia seemed to exist in a grey area even before she was influenced by Susannah.) I don't think parallels work like that.

    Curiously, I never really saw the two origins of Flagg as contradictory. It's just a matter of interpreting Walter's human parentage differently. (
    Spoiler:
    He is adopted.
    ) Robin Furth can't really take the blame for that one as she apparently got her origin story from King himself. It does look like King changed his mind though. The new origin fits in better with The Stand version certainly.

  13. #13
    Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    474
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post

    Can you say 'cop out'?
    Yep, I can say it really well. COPOUT.

  14. #14
    Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    474
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Steve would say the same thing -- there are other worlds than these.
    That could be an argument if the series was vastly different from King's but it's not. It's THE series with inconsistencies.
    A totally different wolrd/s would be an interesting angle, one which I would definitely be interested in, but that's obviously not what the comic series is.

    Copout copout copout.

  15. #15
    Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,641
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    That is the thing with all comics. Remember what they did with the Phoenix Saga and brought Jean Grey back from the dead and said that the Phoenix was just a copy in order to get out of the issue that they killed her in the first place. Or how about how they erased Spiderman's past with them going back in time and changing the fact that he never married Mary Jane. And all the Reboots that they have had since the beginning. Its just another way to sell the comics.


    Does whatever a spiderman does.

  16. #16
    Can Toi DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,994
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    That is the thing with all comics. Remember what they did with the Phoenix Saga and brought Jean Grey back from the dead and said that the Phoenix was just a copy in order to get out of the issue that they killed her in the first place. Or how about how they erased Spiderman's past with them going back in time and changing the fact that he never married Mary Jane. And all the Reboots that they have had since the beginning. Its just another way to sell the comics.
    I think the first case of a popular character brought back from the dead like that (other than Jesus) was when ACC brought Sherlock Holmes back from the dead, years after apparently killing him off for good. There was just such a huge demand for it that eventually he just gave in to public demand and retconned the whole thing.
    Spoiler:
    Of course, it wasn't quite so bad, as Holmes wasn't killed off in front of Watson's eyes.
    What also helped is that he had plenty more good Holmes stories to tell. With comic books, it's usually just an old cliche designed to bring back a character to sell more comics and completely negating the tragedy of what happened before it, without having what should be at least a new story that's great to justify it.


    I help where I can.
    I will not fight!


    You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

  17. #17
    Gunslinger Apprentice Tik will become famous soon enough Tik's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    96

    Default

    The problem with the 'comics happened in another world' theory, for me, is that one of the reason why I read the prequel comics was to fill in gaps left in the novels. If they those events happened in another world, then did they occur in the Novel-verse at all? Or is it just the stuff that contradicts?
    I take the view that they also happen before the novels.
    In the case of Maerlyn though, having one as good and one as evil would be quite a stretch in itself, although not too much of one I guess as I think even the good Maerlyn has a dark side and might well have dabbled in dodgy areas, particularly if he had a hand in the Wizard's Rainbow. But one as a demon of the prim and one human? (At least I assume the one from The Wind... is human, I got that impression, as he speaks about being a lad at one point. If he's not, I don't believe a demon can be good, although Mia seemed to exist in a grey area even before she was influenced by Susannah.) I don't think parallels work like that.
    This doesn't bother me at all really. I even came up with the Maerlyn twinner theory before this issue was released. It's been done in other fictions where two different species are effectively twinners so it made sense in this case.

    In other fictions Merlin is portrayed as evil or good or demon or human or half human or half demon or.....well it goes on. Clearly they are all twinners of each other regardless of species. They are all twinners of the single archetypal Merlin concept and the same is true of Wind Through The Keyhole's Maerlyn Eld (who originates in Mid-World) and the comics Maerlyn Prim (who originates from the Prim).


    It's all canon though, as far as I'm concerned.

    Basically, comic events that happen before the books all occur - all inconsistencies at this point are only really timing issues and can be explained away by the fact time takes place/events happen in between panels (off camera so to speak, sometimes to be fully fleshed out in the novels later on). We know that this definitely happens in some cases in the comic series, so why not all.

    Roland also states in DT4 that Mid-Worlds past keeps rearranging itself so there's also that explanation to explain away timing issues (event's always happen as we see them, but the timings keep shifting).

    Then you've also got this new fact that the comics may take place on a different level of the Tower. The events we see that don't contradict the novels all happen in the novel continuity, events that do contradict are relegated solely to the comic continuity (however, if you also take the previous explanations into consideration, then all events can all be part of the novel continuity).

    DT7 spoilers:

    Spoiler:
    Any inconsistencies after Brown's Hut are due to the fact the comics portray an earlier loop for Roland (as outlined in DT7).


    Any explanation you want to take, this is a series that deals with universe/multiverses/reality so the comics are in the overall continuity of the mythos whichever theory you hold too or whatever world they take place in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts