Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Looking for some Batman comic recommendations...

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Default Looking for some Batman comic recommendations...

Up to this point, I've read

Year One
    The Long Halloween
    Dark Victory
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Hush Volumes 1 and 2
    Heart of Hush
    Gothic
    The Man Who Laughs

Of these, I really liked the artwork/color palette in Hush and the build up. The resolution of the Hush character wasn't that great in my opinion. I read Heart of Hush afterward, and that would've really strengthened the Hush storyarc if it had been included in the Hush graphic novels.

Year One, The Long Halloween, and Dark Victory were...okay. They didn't beg for a re-read like the Hush arc.

Some rogues I'd like a bit more exposure to are Black Mask, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, and Clayface. I thought that might help with some of yall's suggestions, but if you know of a good story, mention it regardless of whether or not it features any of those rogues.

I also have a question about No Man's Land: I've read that Gothamites were given a choice whether to stay in Gotham after the earthquake or evacuate. Is a reasonable explanation given for why anyone other than the villains would hang around after the tragedy?

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Arkham Asylum and The Killing Joke are two of my all time fav Batman stories. Some other ones I can remember were A Death in the Family (I remember getting to vote on the fate of Robin) and The Cult.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I will look into AA; that one does have beautiful art. I've flipped through a few times, but never bothered to give it a read. Thanks.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The Killing Joke is my favourite. The last page perfectly illustrates the absurd relationship between Batman and Joker.

The current run by Scott Snyder is not just one of my favourite Batman books, it's currently one of my favourite comics ever. It's simply titled Batman and it's part of the new 52 line. First trade paperback out now. I'd get the hardcover though, it's worth it. It's called Court of Owls.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

You have hit a lot of the good ones already.

The Killing Joke is definitely a must. I am surprised it wasn't already on your read list. That's generally one of the first that people shout out.

Grant Morrison's Batman & Robin series(#1-16).

JLA: Tower of Babel. This isn't technically a Batman book, but he is at the heart of it and it really illustrates how insanely prepared for everything he is and how dangerous.

A lot of people hated The Dark Knight Strikes again, but I actually enjoyed it.

Knightfall is pretty good, especially in light of the upcoming movie.

Batman: The Black Mirror

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth. The game Arkham Asylum has a lot of influence from this story.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Spoiler:

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Knightfall. Amazing.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree: Arkham Asylum & The Killing Joke.

I can't believe you didn't love The Long Halloween! That's the one I liked the most!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Empath, mah man!

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    Year One
    The Dark Knight Returns
    these + Arkham Asylum and The Killing Joke are Batman musts.

The Long Halloween
    Dark Victory
    Don't forget to pick up Haunted Knight. It forms a loose trilogy of sorts with these two.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Haunted...haunted+knight

Some rogues I'd like a bit more exposure to are Black Mask, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, and Clayface. I thought that might help with some of yall's suggestions, but if you know of a good story, mention it regardless of whether or not it features any of those rogues.
    Batman : Under The Red Hood - it's not about Black mask per se, but in this story BM has seized control of a good portion of Gotham's underworld. Click here.

Scarecrow - I have this Scarecrow tales collection, and I love it. Keep in mind that there are some 70's and 80's issues in this collection, so if older stuff isn't really your bag you might want to keep that in mind.

Batman : Scarecrow Tales

I also have a question about No Man's Land: I've read that Gothamites were given a choice whether to stay in Gotham after the earthquake or evacuate. Is a reasonable explanation given for why anyone other than the villains would hang around after the tragedy?
    Yes. It isn't exactly bulletproof, but it's suitable for comic book purposes. Don't let that possibly deter you though, it is a great story.

Also, if you want to get ready for The Dark Knight Rises, read Knightfall which is the quintessential Bane saga

Batman : Knightfall , Vol .1

Batman : Knightfall, Vol .2 (keep in mind however, Bane doesn't appear in the second book for reasons I can't go into because they'll spoil the fun)

Also, DC released Batman vs Bane this year, which covers Bane's origin nicely.

I'll post more later. Hope this helps !

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really wish DC would make an Absolute Edition of Knightfall...

Just got back from the bookstore! I picked up this one:

It has the first part of the Knightfall storyline, as well as a prologue comic that goes into Bane's childhood.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Have fun! In my opinion it gets a little slow in Vol. 2 but in Vol. 3 it picks back up again.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I agree: Arkham Asylum & The Killing Joke.

I can't believe you didn't love The Long Halloween! That's the one I liked the most!
    I agree. I reread The Long Halloween almost as often as The Dark Knight Returns.

I think it is funny that I was the first Knightfall recommendation, but I sort of half-assed recommended it for some reason.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

I didn't dislike TLH outright...as a story set early on in Batman's career (I think it is, since the more traditional mobsters still seem to be the major powers in the Gotham underworld), it was alright. The freaks just sort of showed up. I would've preferred some stuff setting up where they came from. The same goes for Dark Victory, though I liked the way Robin was introduced. Batman leading a disturbed Dick Grayson from the corpse of Zucco was pretty powerful.