Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New King story?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    This was posted by Ms Mod at the SKMB a few days ago regarding a new King story:

Another one will be coming out in a month or so but can't release details yet.
    John
    Actually, it sounds like it could be multiple short stories:

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/sh...-release/page2
    There have been (and will be) some short stories released, too, but no other novel is forthcoming in 2012.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen any other references to the King story, 'Sect A,' which apparently appeared in the Spanish version of GQ (April 2012 issue). I don't read Spanish but I'll still probably track it down for being the first appearance in print.

eBay listing

Gunslinger Apprentice you ever seen a ghost? is on a distinguished road

seems like we would have heard about this by now?

-justin

Gunslinger Apprentice you ever seen a ghost? is on a distinguished road

actually, are you sure that the "story" is supposed to be called "Sect A" and its not talking about part of the magazine? if so, this could just be an interview or something.

-justin

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's why I don't want to plunk down $13 to find out.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure fellow forum member Ari_Racing can help us out.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

False alarm. I contacted the seller.
    Section A is the unit of shelves that the magazine is stored on nothing to do with the magazine at all sorry.
    I asked what SK's contribution was.
    I have no idea without going pulling it and reading it his name was on the front cover as you can tell so I listed him other than that I am unsure.
    I guess it still could be story just not called Sect A.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Since the topic of a new collection was brought up, I remembered my post from four years ago, when Just After Sunset came out:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post112496
    Something else I just noticed. This is the first time in King's publishing history that he'll have a short story collection out twice in the same decade. Of course we've had Night Shift in 1978, Skeleton Crew in 1985, Nightmares & Dreamscapes in 1993, and now Everything's Eventual in 2002 and Just Past Sunset in 2008. There were 7 years in between Night Shift and Skeleton Crew, 8 years in between Skeleton Crew and Nightmares & Dreamscapes, 9 years (you feel the pattern? ) in between Nightmares & Dreamscapes and Everything's Eventual, and only 6 years, the fewest, in between Everything's Eventual and Just Past Sunset.
    So a new collection would still have to be several years off. My best bet would be 2014 at the very earliest, most likely 2015. However, we can already have a sizable table of contents for this hypothetical collection:

Short stories and novellas:
    • Throttle
    • Ur
    • Premium Harmony
    • Herman Wouk is Still Alive
    • Under the Weather
    • The Little Green God of Agony
    • Mile 81
    • The Dune
    • In the Tall Grass

Poems:
    • Mostly Old Men
    • The Bone Church
    • Tommy

Also, since 1977's The Cat from Hell was finally collected in 2008 in Just After Sunset (even though King had stated in 1993 in his introduction to Nightmares & Dreamscapes that every story he wanted collected has been collected up to that point), I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to also see these long-uncollected short stories:

"Lost" stories:
    • Weeds
    • The Night of the Tiger
    • Man with a Belly
    • The Crate
    • The Reploids

I think these five lost stories have the best chance of being Cat-from-Helled, because they're not juvenilia like The Glass Floor or I Was a Teenage Grave Robber, but fully formed works that for whatever reason slipped through the cracks.

Gunslinger Apprentice johnsmith87 will become famous soon enough johnsmith87's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

^LOL, kudos for inventing a new verb, Cat-from-Helled. Also, I don't see a Spring 2014 short story collection as too far fetched. Would bridge the gap nicely between Doctor Sleep and Joyland in 2013 and what would presumably be a Fall 2014 novel.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And of course, newly written short stories !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    And of course, newly written short stories !
    Yes, it'd be nice of King to include some unpublished stories like he used to, especially in N&D: Night Shift had four, Skeleton Crew had three (two of them poems), Nightmares & Dreamscapes had five (including the teleplay and the fable), Everything's Eventual had none (although one story appeared in print for the first time), and Just After Sunset had one.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd still love to see "Weeds" in one of King's collections. That story, other than the over-the-top version in Creepshow, has never been reprinted, anywhere!

John

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I'd still love to see "Weeds" in one of King's collections. That story, other than the over-the-top version in Creepshow, has never been reprinted, anywhere!
    Here's a bit of trivia I stumbled upon while working on an essay for Screem magazine. Weeds was originally written as the first chapter of a novel, before Carrie, in 1970-71. "Once the weeds started to grow towards the town and the story started to spread beyond that closed world, I couldn't find any more to say."

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember reading something like that also. The ending of Weeds reminds me a bit of the ending of the story The Mist.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Since the topic of a new collection was brought up, I remembered my post from four years ago, when Just After Sunset came out:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post112496
    Something else I just noticed. This is the first time in King's publishing history that he'll have a short story collection out twice in the same decade. Of course we've had Night Shift in 1978, Skeleton Crew in 1985, Nightmares & Dreamscapes in 1993, and now Everything's Eventual in 2002 and Just Past Sunset in 2008. There were 7 years in between Night Shift and Skeleton Crew, 8 years in between Skeleton Crew and Nightmares & Dreamscapes, 9 years (you feel the pattern? ) in between Nightmares & Dreamscapes and Everything's Eventual, and only 6 years, the fewest, in between Everything's Eventual and Just Past Sunset.
    So a new collection would still have to be several years off. My best bet would be 2014 at the very earliest, most likely 2015. However, we can already have a sizable table of contents for this hypothetical collection:

Short stories and novellas:
    • Throttle
    • Ur
    • Premium Harmony
    • Herman Wouk is Still Alive
    • Under the Weather
    • The Little Green God of Agony
    • Mile 81
    • The Dune
    • In the Tall Grass

Poems:
    • Mostly Old Men
    • The Bone Church
    • Tommy

Also, since 1977's The Cat from Hell was finally collected in 2008 in Just After Sunset (even though King had stated in 1993 in his introduction to Nightmares & Dreamscapes that every story he wanted collected has been collected up to that point), I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to also see these long-uncollected short stories:

"Lost" stories:
    • Weeds
    • The Night of the Tiger
    • Man with a Belly
    • The Crate
    • The Reploids

I think these five lost stories have the best chance of being Cat-from-Helled, because they're not juvenilia like The Glass Floor or I Was a Teenage Grave Robber, but fully formed works that for whatever reason slipped through the cracks.
    So, we can add now to the main roster:
    • A Face in the Crowd
    • Batman and Robin Have an Altercation

That makes it 11 short stories and novellas and 3 poems with 5 potential "lost" stories.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

+ "in the tall grass"
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I've been digging around for Premium Harmony on eBay because I haven't read it yet and voila, found the whole story online for free:
    http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/fea...i_fiction_king

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    + "in the tall grass"
    Already listed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2