Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Wow, some great recommendations there!!

Some of my favorites that you've listed :
    • Kingdom Come
    • Preacher
    • Y The Last Man
    • Identity Crisis ( haven't read the whole series yet but plan to )
    • Wanted
    • Batman: The Killing Joke
    • Green Lantern Rebirth
    • Civil War
    • Flash Rebirth

My personal recommendations would have to include : V for Vendetta ( of course ), X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga, Maus I and II, X-Men: X-Tinction Agenda, and Strangers In Paradise ( all of them ).
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I totally have a much bigger list. I work across the parking lot from a books a million so in my free time i read graphic novels.

Oh and try Irredemable it has a very interesting premise.
    If you love me then love me..

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Uncanny X-Men: The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire

My Mood
    Gay

Nice book.

Oh, and seriously, way cool sig and av!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Country
    Country Flag

thank ya. Warpath is like one of my fave X-Men especially after the graphic novel I mentioned above

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Warpath is a beast in the Messiah Complex saga(s). Have you read that yet ?

Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah Messiah Complex, Messiah War where he is brutally awesome.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Some bad news: Unknown Soldier and Air have both been cancelled. US will finish with this arc and it will come to a logical end. I'm not sure what's going on with Air and how many issues/arc will there be. There are some things that rub me the wrong way about that author but the story was very cool.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Isn't Unknown Soldier from Vertigo ? What happened ? I was under the impression it had very strong sales.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Apparently not haha.

I'm of the opinion that the comics that are based more on reality never do as well as ever-so-tired superhero comics.

My Mood
    Gay

Super cool news ...

... Just read that X-Men : The Dark Phoenix Saga is being released in a hardcover edition!

Available at Amazon for about $49.00 bucks. ( list price is $74.99 ! ) To be released on August 10, 2010.

Description : Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT Penciled by JOHN BYRNE Cover by JOHN BYRNE When the Dark Phoenix rises, suns grow cold and universes die! Gathered by Charles Xavier, the X-Men have dedicated their wondrous abilities to protect mankind - even those who hate and fear them. Now, these incredible individuals embark on an adventure that will span the expanse of the cosmos. One of their own, Jean Grey, has unwittingly attained power beyond conception - and been corrupted, absolutely. The X-Men must decide: Is the life of the woman they cherish worth the existence of an entire universe? Collecting X-MEN #129-138, CLASSIC X-MEN #43, BIZARRE ADVENTURES #27, PHOENIX: THE UNTOLD STORY and WHAT IF? (1977) #27. 352 PGS.

Since this is probably my all time favorite X-Men story arc, I'll be getting one of these!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Scott Pilgrim

Usually, when people make a graphic novel recommendation, well let's be honest: usually, and this is especially if it's something that the person is currently completely raving about and can't get enough of, it's something dark, profound, and will change the way you look at comics.

The current graphic novel series I'm obsessing over is none of those things. Instead, the graphic novel series I'm recommending you go out and buy right now is Scott Pilgrim.

I'll be honest, before hearing about the movie, I knew nothing about the Scott Pilgrim series. I hadn't even heard of it. Probably not surprising, considering they've only decided to release the volumes in the UK this year!

Of course, when you hear one of your favourite directors ever is taking a break from original work and has decided to adapt a comic series instead, you'd want to find out everything you can. So, the moment I saw volume 1 last week, I immediately bought it.

Oh. My. Gosh. This has got to be one of the funniest comic series I've read in a long while, and I've read Sam and Max, for crying out loud! Random, self referential and brilliant, Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life begins the story of our "hero", a lazy sod who's 23 years old, "in between jobs", in a rock band and is currently on the rebound from a bad relationship by dating a 17 year old high schooler. Everything's ok for him...until he meets the girl of his dreams (quite literally) Ramona Flowers and falls head over heels for her. It's not long before he feels that this girl is perfect for him. There's just one problem: in order to date her without any major problems, he's gonna have to deal with her 7 evil exs in OTT, mega awesome, video game style battles.

That's the very basic jist of the series, anyway, but, like the work of Edgar Wright himself, including Spaced and Shaun of the Dead, it's also so much more than just having a fucking great laugh. It's also a great story about a guy who seriously needs a lesson in growing up, with tons of characters that have their own unique backstories, some involving messy relationships, others involving heartbreaks, and some involving getting kidnapped by criminal masterminds.

One word of warning: if you can't stand the look of manga whatsoever, you aren't going to like this one jot. Clearly, the writer/artist is one of the biggest manga fans there is, making everything from the awesomely drawn battles to the expressions in perfect manga style! I'm not saying I hate this - quite the reverse, in fact - I just know that for some, manga isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I can't recommend this series enough. Hilarious, multi-layered, and surprisingly action packed, this series matches Edgar Wright's style down to a T. Already since last week, I've bought and read through the 2nd and 3rd volumes, and I plan on getting the 3 remaining volumes very, very soon. Only problem is of course, like a lot of manga, it's a really quick read, even by graphic novel standards, but that's not too bad: considering how many storylines, characters and backstories are jammed into the first 3 volumes, I already feel like going over them again just to remember who's who, what's what, and why do vegans have superpowers again? I'll be honest, I can't wait for the film, but this series is awesome all on its own. Get it!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Gay

DD - Awesome write up/recommendation!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Super cool news ...

... Just read that X-Men : The Dark Phoenix Saga is being released in a hardcover edition!

Available at Amazon for about $49.00 bucks. ( list price is $74.99 ! ) To be released on August 10, 2010.

Description : Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT Penciled by JOHN BYRNE Cover by JOHN BYRNE When the Dark Phoenix rises, suns grow cold and universes die! Gathered by Charles Xavier, the X-Men have dedicated their wondrous abilities to protect mankind - even those who hate and fear them. Now, these incredible individuals embark on an adventure that will span the expanse of the cosmos. One of their own, Jean Grey, has unwittingly attained power beyond conception - and been corrupted, absolutely. The X-Men must decide: Is the life of the woman they cherish worth the existence of an entire universe? Collecting X-MEN #129-138, CLASSIC X-MEN #43, BIZARRE ADVENTURES #27, PHOENIX: THE UNTOLD STORY and WHAT IF? (1977) #27. 352 PGS.

Since this is probably my all time favorite X-Men story arc, I'll be getting one of these!!
    Pam buying comics??? I am shocked.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Cheers, Pam! I was a little worried my write up was unnecessarily long, especially for a comedy comic, but what the hell, for a comic this good, it's worth it!

Oh, btw, regarding The Dark Phoenix Saga: is that something that can be read from start to finish on its own, or does it actually require knowing a lot more backstory than "our heroes are mutants, and so are the villains" to really get it? I'm ok with references to past stories that I won't get, I am a Dr Who fan after all (did you know? ), I'm just wondering if this saga actually continues off something else major and that I need to read that - or look up wikipedia - before reading TDPS?

- Melike

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Super cool news ...

Pam buying comics??? I am shocked.
    Yeah, try not to be too surprised at this. Frankly, this is super cool. A hardcover edition of my favorite, so yeah - Marvel took a look at my posts and decided they needed my 50 bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Cheers, Pam! I was a little worried my write up was unnecessarily long, especially for a comedy comic, but what the hell, for a comic this good, it's worth it!

Oh, btw, regarding The Dark Phoenix Saga: is that something that can be read from start to finish on its own, or does it actually require knowing a lot more backstory than "our heroes are mutants, and so are the villains" to really get it? I'm ok with references to past stories that I won't get, I am a Dr Who fan after all (did you know? ), I'm just wondering if this saga actually continues off something else major and that I need to read that - or look up wikipedia - before reading TDPS?
    re: Your write-up .... --> No, not long at all. That's what this thread is for - to recommend and encourage other people to read a good graphic novel!!

For sure the Dark Phoenix Saga is a complete arc and can be read stand-alone. It does play into other things in the future ... but the story itself actually uses some cool references and explanations in the story to explain what you might need to know. It's just a good story.

You can usually pick up the softcover of Dark Phoenix Saga for 15 bucks or so. The fancy fifty dollar Hardcover Edition isn't necessary ... except, you know, for me!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

You can usually pick up the softcover of Dark Phoenix Saga for 15 bucks or so. The fancy fifty dollar Hardcover Edition isn't necessary ... except, you know, for me!
    Let me guess: you've already got the softcover? One of the problems of being a fan: you usually have to get the best stuff at least twice!

It's like one of the things keeping me from getting Lost: Season 4 - a brand new Doctor Who cd box set is gonna be released for 70 quid, but it's half price on Amazon! I've got 2 of the 5 stories already, and I can get the remaining three dirt cheap off iTunes, but it's got new bonus content!!! How can I not get it? Ugh, being a collector sucks!

I've seen the softcover of The Dark Phoenix Saga in my local library, so I think I'll check that out next time I'm there. Anyway, cheers for the tip! With all the huge story arcs in every single comic mythology out there, it's good to know there's one I can understand without getting a ton of other volumes!

- Melike

My Mood
    Gay

Um.... I may have one or two copies of the softcover edition of The Dark Phoenix Saga, yeah!

Oh, library copy is perfect ! Then, if you decide it's one of the defining stories in comic book history, you can go ahead and just get the Hardcover when it's released.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

A very good idea! If I had a job to justify all my geeky needs, that is!

- Melike

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I just got done reading Pride of Baghdad and now I'm depressed as shit.

It really was a thought-provoking and moving story, however. And it is BEAUTIFULLY illustrated.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15