Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Did you have to wait for King to write this one?

Traveler Madagascar is on a distinguished road

I only started reading it last year, and just finished DT7 about a week ago. (On the 31st) But I can imagine how bad it must've been waiting years and years just for a book...honestly, I'd've probably lost my patience.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

You wouldn't.
    Love is love.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    You wouldn't.
    Love is love.

absolutely true.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Madagascar View Post
    ...honestly, I'd've probably lost my patience.
    Along with strongly seconding what Letti and Brice, I'll say that, yeah it was wicked hard having to wait between books all those years and not knowing if the series would ever be finished, it another way it was a lot of fun.
    All the speculation between Tower Junkies on wonderful sites like this and the repetitive stabbing of folk you don't agree with.
    It was just a lot of fun. It built a fellowship among fans and a lot of warmth and love, that we have now.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was one of those who started reading the series in '01 or '02. By the time I finished W&G, the remaining ones were on their way out. As I waited for them, I read all other things King-- IT, Salem's Lot, Desperation,Talisman, etc. I was so hooked!!! Still am.

Great stories here. From those who waited as well as us who didn't. And the letter from King to the CR's was priceless!!!

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I had to wait and then I had to wait for it to go to soft cover so my cats wouldn't eat my books!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Lance is on a distinguished road Lance's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hell yeah I had to wait. My best friend and I both got it for Christmas from our parents. She and I spent the last week of December on a couch in her apartment reading it. We kept looking at each other at different points and going "Oh shit!" and "I know!"
    I'm Joe Collins, bitch. Recognize!

"I don't like pot. It dulls my hatred" - Darlene Conner

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I started with The Drawing of the Three when it was first released.

I somehow managed to skip SOS, I thought I had read it until I was 3/4 finished with DT7 so I went back and reread the whole series back to back.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ATG View Post

I somehow managed to skip SOS, I thought I had read it until I was 3/4 finished with DT7 so I went back and reread the whole series back to back.

Thats a big boo-boo. Must have been all that crack you were smoking back then.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

you didn't notice the numbering went from 5 to 7?

Interplay Fan HanzouNorak is on a distinguished road HanzouNorak's Avatar

m dad told me how freakin long he had to wait for it. he didn't even read it even though he bought it. im lucky the the series was finished when i began reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by HanzouNorak View Post
    im lucky the the series was finished when i began reading it.
    Yeah, in another way it was a lot of fun speculating what was going to happen in the next book, where the journey was going to go etc.

Gunslinger Apprentice aurora is on a distinguished road aurora's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I managed to get and read 'The Gunslinger' the same week as its original release same with "Drawing of the Three'. The novels King put out around the time of book II was a far cry from his earlier work which I feel in love with. Add in the fact I was now in college and trying to become an Olympic freestyle skier I decided I would wait till the far distant day when/if King ever finished the series and thats exactly what I did. Sadly during that time I gave away both copies of I & II, sure wish I had not done that now.

I also have to say that also being a HUGE fan of the Dune series I have been extremely excited by the continuation of that series especially the last two books which I never thought we would see. After the death of Frank Herbert I thought pure Duncan and the crew where lost forever. While I was not really happy with Hunters of Dune I did love Sandworms and was happy enough with the ending.

With Dune I was happy the voyage ended (well not really since Brian and Kevin are still adding new stories into the universe) with DT I'm extremely sad to see it end. I liked the ending well enough and love the comic series. I just hope that the comic series keeps expanding the DT universe including exploring Arthur Eld, and maybe just maybe Rolands quest to the DT take who knows how many.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This very same thing happened to people I know except with the Harry Potter books. Skipped 6 completely. Didn't realize it until they started wondering why a certain someone was no longer running the school.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

This very same thing happened to people I know except with the Harry Potter books. Skipped 6 completely. Didn't realize it until they started wondering why a certain someone was no longer running the school.
    i can see reading DT_7 and being like
    Spoiler:
    "why do they keep saying they met Stephen King?!?"
    Last edited by Letti; 02-26-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spoiler

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't understand how someone can think they have read a certain book of their favourite series however they haven't... How can it happen? I am really interested in it.
    As I was reading the series I could tell which one I read how many times and when I was planning to read next...
    So how the blue hell can it happen?
    Last edited by Letti; 11-30-2008 at 12:54 AM.

I can't understand how someone can think they have read a certain book of their favourite series however they haven't... How can it happen?

Like I said -

Gunslinger Apprentice Dud-a-chum? is on a distinguished road Dud-a-chum?'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I can't understand how someone can think they have read a certain book of their favourite series however they haven't... How can it happen?

Like I said -
    Oh, come now, All_Hail, must you always assume the worst in people?

. . . nevermind, I just went back and read the guy's initial post. Yeah, he was totally tweaked.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dud-a-chum? View Post

Like I said -

. . . nevermind, I just went back and read the guy's initial post. Yeah, he was totally tweaked.
    And besides, this is Matthew speaking OF COURSE he must assume the worst in people.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I HATED the wait between The Waste Lands and Wizard and Glass. I almost threw my copy of The Waste Lands against the wall when I read the ending. Then I had to wait that long, long wait for Wizard and Glass. When I read about King's accident, I just kind of figured that the series would never be finished. I was very glad when the announcement of Wolves of the Calla was made. (Remember that the first announcements said the title would be The Creeping Shadow? That REALLY intrigued me!)

John

Quote Originally Posted by Dud-a-chum? View Post

Like I said -

Also, you're assuming I think thats bad in the first place..
    Last edited by Letti; 11-30-2008 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    (Remember that the first announcements said the title would be The Creeping Shadow? That REALLY intrigued me!)

John
    Hell yeah I remember that, that was awesome. I'm glad he went with Wolves of the Calla though.

Traveler Powdered Water is on a distinguished road Powdered Water's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What a great thread. My God this brings back some memories. Besides The Dark Tower books I haven't read a King book in about 15 years. I only mention that because that's what those damn books did to me. I was a huge fan of almost all of his books early on. I was about 10 years old when I first read a King book. I don't remember which one. I know I got to read The Gunslinger very early on, probably early 83 as it was in paperback.

So yeah, I'm a serious waiter. I actually hate myself a little bit for how much I became addicted to them. Waited 4 years for for Drawing, 6 for Wizard (I really didn't think he was going to write it) and then another 6 for Wolves. The little wait after that for the next two was a drop in the bucket. Really, that's why I haven't read any other King books for so long, I swore off his other books until he finished the series. Now that he has, I just haven't been able to get back into his other stuff. I have most of them and I may read them eventually but as he obviously wasn't in any hurry to finish TDT, I'm in no hurry to finish his other books. Yeah, I'm petty like that. That's just how I roll.

Anyway, these books have had a pretty profound experience on my life and I just thought I'd start to share some of it as I'm new to the site and I'm sure no one wants to read it all in one post.
    First comes Smiles. Then lies... Last is gunfire. - Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Powdered Water, good to see you around. You have found the perfect place I mean we all are addicted to this series here. For my part I don't mind it at all. It has given me so much and it's always with me.
    Don't hesitate to post anywhere.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I have made this statement on a few other threads, but this thread seems the most appropriate, so I will repeat it.

I started with The Gunslinger before Drawing came out. When Drawing came out I quickly reread The Gunslinger before starting Drawing. When Wastlands came out, I reread the first two about a month before Wastlands came out. Then the long, long, long wait for W+G. So I reread the first 3 again before reading W & G. Then the almost as long wait for Wolves. Sooo...... I reread the first 4 books. The last 2 books came out in quick enough succession that I was not compelled to do any rereading. But I guess I have been reading these books for the better part of two decades.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast