Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Did you have to wait for King to write this one?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I got given WaG as a gift, when it first came out in the UK. I started reading it and thought...I need to read the other 3 first, I have no clue whats going on! And then I just forgot about it.

Then in about...must've been 2002, a girl at another site told me to read Black House (as I'd been complaining about the ending of The Talisman) and I loved it so much I was like "Gimme more! And who the hell is this gunslinger guy?" and she pointed me in the DT direction

So, my waits weren't too unbearable.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Who was able to snag the little first chapter of Wizard and Glass booklet and the Keep You Up All Night light before Wizard and Glass was released? I sure did! They hadn't even opened the box with the booklets in them yet when I got to the store..I was like "You better open that box quick or things are going to get ugly around here".
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Who was able to snag the little first chapter of Wizard and Glass booklet and the Keep You Up All Night light before Wizard and Glass was released? I sure did! They hadn't even opened the box with the booklets in them yet when I got to the store..I was like "You better open that box quick or things are going to get ugly around here".
    Lucky bastard!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Yeah, I got one of those. I was also around to vouch for the famous "pissing and moaning" post King made to alt.books.stephen-king. A lot of people were skeptical that King actually wrote it, but his publisher had cued me in beforehand that it was coming.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I was also around to vouch for the famous "pissing and moaning" post King made to alt.books.stephen-king. A lot of people were skeptical that King actually wrote it, but his publisher had cued me in beforehand that it was coming.

I remember reading that on some website the year that happened and saying to myself "Go Stephen!". I couldn't believe the amount of bitching after that great little treat!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I know. I remember the W&G excerpt went to those who missed the booklight or vise versa. Point is, you were only supposed to get one or the other. I however managed to get both off the same purchase. It helps to make friends with the people who work book stores.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I know. I remember the W&G excerpt went to those who missed the booklight or vise versa. Point is, you were only supposed to get one or the other. I however managed to get both off the same purchase. It helps to make friends with the people who work book stores.
    No, it wasn't meant for that, both were supposed to go with any purchase of The Regulators and Desperation, thats all. It was a great promo and still some folk complained about it. No wonder King went off on them about it, I'm glad he did.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I missed that - link anyone?

Link to what?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

King's rant.

No.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That's too bad, I would have loved to read it.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

November 21, 1996

Gentle Readers:
    It's reached my attention that there's been a fair degree of pissing and moaning about the Wizard and Glass booklet which comes with a dual purchase of Desperation and The Regulators. I swear to God, some of you guys could die and go to heaven and then complain that you had booked a double occupancy room, and where the hell is the sauna, anyway? The major complaints seem to be coming from people who have already bought both books. Those of you who bought the double-pack got the light, right? A freebie. So whatcha cryin' about?

The booklet was my idea, not the publisher's--a little extra for people who wanted to buy both books after supplies of the famous "Keep You Up All Night" light ran out. If you expect to get the booklet IN ADDITION to the light, all I can say is sorry, Cholly, but there may not be enough booklets to go around. If you bought the two books separately, because there weren't any gift packs left (they sold faster than expected, which is how this booklet deal came up in the first place), go back to where you bought them, tell the dealer what happened, show him/her your proof of (separate) purchase, and they'll take care of you. If they get wise witcha, tell 'em Steve King said that was the deal.

If you're just jacked because you want to read the first two chapters of Wizard and Glass, wait until the whole thing comes out. Or put it on your T.S. List and give it to the chaplain. In any case, those of you who are yelling and stamping your feet, please stop. If you're old enough to read, you're old enough to behave.

STEVE KING

Thanks Bev, I had never read that before.

Thanks Bev! I knew you'd come through! Yep, that was great reading. I got both the booklet and the nightlight..I wish I knew what happened to the nightlight.

I wish I knew what happened to the nightlight.
    I bet it burned out long long ago because Big Red is afraid of the dark!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Bev, I had never seen that

Big Red IS the darkness, motherfucker!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool, cheers Bev

I got the booklet today - Brice sent it to me

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Or put it on your T.S. List and give it to the chaplain.

I love him!

Thanks for posting this Bev
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I did have to wait but only for a couple of years because I started the series around 95 when I was thirteen. That was difficult and I feel for those that had to wait longer. I did "take a ride on blaine" for the rest of the series and that kind of sucked at times. Especially when some of King's other novels were hinting at coming attractions (Black House, Insomnia, and Low Men in Yellow Coats). The anticipation became difficult to deal with at times (I read Low Men in Yellow Coats in one sitting and missed class the next day).

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I got The Gunslinger for Christmas in 93 and loved it and went and got the
    next two not long after. The cliffhanger of an ending in The Waste lands was so annoying I couldn't wait till Wizard and Glass came out but didn't expect to have to wait for nearly four years for it . Anytime I was in Dublin I'd head to Easons the biggest book chain in Ireland and distributor in the country to see if was out and always come away disappointed and empty-handed. It got to the point I thought SK was never going to release it. So in 97 when the book finally came out a friend told me he had read in a magazine that SK's latest book Wizard and Glass was been released in about two weeks time. I couldn't believe it so I made plans to head to Dublin about three weeks later.
    Got to Dublin rushed into Easons and went straight to the customer information desk in the shop and asked the two girls behind the counter was Wizard and Glass by SK out yet and the girls started to giggle. Not sure what the joke was I said well is it in or not and if not when is it been released. One of the girls just turned to her left and pointed and right beside the counter was a massive cardboard cover of the book and two tables stack as high with the said book.
    I just stared at the display in disbelief that it was finally out and that I'd walked straight past it. I said sorry to the girls for asking a stupid question and turned pure crimson in embarrassment (I'm a red head so you can imagine how red faced I looked) . Grad myself a copy and went and paid for it. On the way out of the shop there was a big display of the book in the window that I'd missed also on the way in. That made me feel like a complete twat altogether. Headed back to the bus station to head home and I took a massive fit of laughing which got a few strange looks from people.
    Was it worth the wait? You bet it was.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blackrose22 View Post
    I got The Gunslinger for Christmas in 93 and loved it and went and got the
    next two not long after. The cliffhanger of an ending in The Waste lands was so annoying I couldn't wait till Wizard and Glass came out but didn't expect to have to wait for nearly four years for it . Anytime I was in Dublin I'd head to Easons the biggest book chain in Ireland and distributor in the country to see if was out and always come away disappointed and empty-handed. It got to the point I thought SK was never going to release it. So in 97 when the book finally came out a friend told me he had read in a magazine that SK's latest book Wizard and Glass was been released in about two weeks time. I couldn't believe it so I made plans to head to Dublin about three weeks later.
    Got to Dublin rushed into Easons and went straight to the customer information desk in the shop and asked the two girls behind the counter was Wizard and Glass by SK out yet and the girls started to giggle. Not sure what the joke was I said well is it in or not and if not when is it been released. One of the girls just turned to her left and pointed and right beside the counter was a massive cardboard cover of the book and two tables stack as high with the said book.
    I just stared at the display in disbelief that it was finally out and that I'd walked straight past it. I said sorry to the girls for asking a stupid question and turned pure crimson in embarrassment (I'm a red head so you can imagine how red faced I looked) . Grad myself a copy and went and paid for it. On the way out of the shop there was a big display of the book in the window that I'd missed also on the way in. That made me feel like a complete twat altogether. Headed back to the bus station to head home and I took a massive fit of laughing which got a few strange looks from people.
    Was it worth the wait? You bet it was.
    Awesome story! Thank you.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Indeed, great story.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Like Bev, I first learned of The Guslinger when it was listed in the front of Pet Semetery! Unlike Bev I wasn't smart enough to contact anyone - I could have gotten a 2nd edition easily but was too stupid to realize. I first listened to The Gunslinger when the Audio Cassette came out - roughly '85 and while listeneing the Plume paperback was released. Starging then I knew about Grant and have purchased every one from Grant as they came out. I have been quite patient waiting for each renditon that followed. There were always other books to fill the gaps, but I oftened wondered when was King returning to the Dark Tower! When he had his accident I was really scared that the story was never going to find it's ending! of course we are all waiting again as teh Marvel series unfolds and new material is knocking at the door!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast