Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you have to wait for King to write this one?

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Default Did you have to wait for King to write this one?

Here's one for you. As anyone who began reading the series prior to the publication of Wizard & Glass, there was a LONG break between DT-3 and DT-4, a long break where we had no idea what would befall our beloved Tet as they rode the suicidal Blaine through the Waste Lands. My wife [also a Tower junkie] and I endured that wait very impatiently. The second wait [between DT-4 and the rest was long but nothing like the first one]. We now refer to any cliffhangers as "riding Blaine."

So my question is, did you start reading the series prior to the break and have to endure the wait, or were you able to start at DT-1 and keep going to the end?

I often find myself envying those who were able to keep going, but I also do look back fondly on that time of wondering whether or not King would get back on the path of the Beam.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Here's one for you. As anyone who began reading the series prior to the publication of Wizard & Glass, there was a LONG break between DT-3 and DT-4, a long break where we had no idea what would befall our beloved Tet as they rode the suicidal Blaine through the Waste Lands. My wife [also a Tower junkie] and I endured that wait very impatiently. The second wait [between DT-4 and the rest was long but nothing like the first one]. We now refer to any cliffhangers as "riding Blaine."

So my question is, did you start reading the series prior to the break and have to endure the wait, or were you able to start at DT-1 and keep going to the end?

I often find myself envying those who were able to keep going, but I also do look back fondly on that time of wondering whether or not King would get back on the path of the Beam.
    Great topic for a thread. I found the series (and became an addict) when Drawing of the Three came out in 1987 and the worst wait for me was between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla because of the length and what happened with King's accident.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I found the series (and became an addict) when Drawing of the Three came out in 1987.
    Cool, we have been on the path of the Beam for pretty much the same time frame. When my wife and I first moved in together in 1994, we discovered we now had two copies of every book King had written to that point, and we started discussing our favorites. Like me, she is a certifiable Tower junkie, and when we started talking about the series she said to me "he's gonna finish it, right? they can't stay on that monorail forever."

When Wizard & Glass came out we were both so happy, and then, another long break. After the accident, we were both of the opinion that if King didn't finish the series soon we would go to Maine and finish the job the van started.

Seriously though, while I would never wish the pain King endured upon anyone, I am glad the accident made him feel like it was time to finish the series because the wait was getting intolerable.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I started on the travels of Roland at the time the THe Wastelands came out. Yes, the wait was hard, and the thought of King not finishing made it all the harder

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I found out about The Gunslinger when it was listed at the front of Pet Sematary as a King novel. I tried to find a copy, failed. Wrote King and got on the list to get a second printing when Grant published it. So I started in about 1984 and patiently waited for each new installment over two decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I found out about The Gunslinger when it was listed at the front of Pet Sematary as a King novel. I tried to find a copy, failed. Wrote King and got on the list to get a second printing when Grant published it. So I started in about 1984 and patiently waited for each new installment over two decades.
    Your patience is remarkable!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    I started on the travels of Roland at the time the THe Wastelands came out. Yes, the wait was hard, and the thought of King not finishing made it all the harder
    Wow, so you were what? 11 or 12 when Wastelands came out according to your profile? I'm impressed that you started so young.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

What was the worst wait between books for you Bev?

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I started at 12, but I had no clue what it was, or what it was about. I just liked the cover, and thought it might be good

Your patience is remarkable!
    It actually isn't remarkable when you consider that we're Tower Junkies. It would be remarkable if he forgot about the series while waiting for the next one.

I started at 12, but I had no clue what it was, or what it was about. I just liked the cover, and thought it might be good
    The trade paperback edition with the big depiction of the Rose on the front?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I had to wait.
    I was a kid when I read W&G and I was a working grown-up when I met Roland and his ka-tet again.
    I think this is one of the reasons that made this series so very important to me.

Roland would have understood.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

No, this one if I remember right

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I had to wait... I just kind of assumed that King would never finish it... I used to get mad about that.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

No, this one if I remember right
    I was talking about Wastelands. Or was what you meant that was the year you found the series?

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Year I found the series, but I burned through the first two, finished the second, and had to wait all within 3 months

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

My brother bought a paperback of the Gunslinger for his wife for Christmas. That was the late 80's I believe so DotT may have already been out.

I was already a fan (The Stand) so I picked it up.

It was hard for me after WandG because I wasn't sure if he was going to finish it but I would have to call the cliffhanger at the end of Waste Lands the worst.

I had no idea IV was out until a friend of mine happened to stop by and had it with her. I couldn't believe there was a new Dark Tower book.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Although I've been a King fan since I was 13, I didn't discover the Dark Tower until late 2003, so I only had short waits for Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Citizen of Gilead CPU is on a distinguished road CPU's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had been a King fan for a long, long time, but for some reason I kept avoiding the "Gunslinger" books. In '93 and '94 I was an over-the-road truck driver. I had just picked up a load of canteloupe from the port of Miami and was headed for the produce markets of Boston. I was looking for an audio book to keep me company on the way there and found a copy of The Wastelands on cassette (I still have them somewhere!). Steven King was the reader and was immediately sucked into the story. 18 hours later when the cassettes ended (and I was in Boston ) I vowed to read the other books in the series. And I did

Oh, and the wait between IV and V was horrible for me!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    What was the worst wait between books for you Bev?

I never minded waiting. I'm a patient guy.

I knew you'd say that.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We now refer to any cliffhangers as "riding Blaine."
    hahahahahaha, I love it, can I borrow it?

The wait for WnG to come out seemed to go on forever. I was fairly certain I'd never be able to live through it. I got WnG and BLASTED through until I found out the fate of our friends.

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    We now refer to any cliffhangers as "riding Blaine."
    hahahahahaha, I love it, can I borrow it?
    Absolutely.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I was one of the fortunate (or unfortunate, depending how you look at it) ones : I started the journey to the Dark Tower about 1 month before Wolves of The Calla was to be released. The only wait I had to endure was the space between paychecks.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually sort of like the fact that I had to wait for each novel. It sorta sucked, but it always gave me something to look forward to, and I enjoyed the excitement of each new book. I often re-read all of the previous books right before the new one came out just so I was caught up. I am in the process of reading them back to back for the first time. I'm enjoying it a lot. I do have to admit, I was always afraid either he would die, or I would before the tale was complete.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast