Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: After midnight - why aren't you sleeping?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I should be hibernating...........................

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice R.F. is on a distinguished road R.F.'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've also had trouble sleeping pretty much my entire life. I found a certain "herbal rememedy" that does help somewhat, but it is definately not valerian root ;D

When I just absolutely cannot sleep, I use self-hypnosis to atleast make up for some of what is lost. For some people, hypnosis can actually put you to sleep. I have not really had success using hypnosis to fall asleep, but trance is actually just as refreshing as sleep. I can't remember the exact ratio, but I once heard that one hour of deep trance was equal to about a three hour nap.
    Flip-flop, hippety-hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life’s a fiction and the world’s a lie, so put on some Creedence and let’s get high.- The Great Sage and Eminent Junkie

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

RF, I suspect I use the same herbal remedy as you. It can be very effective.

Country
    Country Flag

Indeed it can, as well as helping all sorts of aches and pains. Too bad such a good medicine has such a bad reputation.
    Flip-flop, hippety-hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life’s a fiction and the world’s a lie, so put on some Creedence and let’s get high.- The Great Sage and Eminent Junkie

perhaps that bad rep is perpetuated in part by companies who want to sell us more expensive [and often less effective] pharmaceuticals for many ills which could be treated with a much less expensive and much more organic alternative. as a chronic severe migraine sufferer, i find the ban on cannabis insulting to my intelligence.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh I agree completely that big business has convinced our society that the best way to fix just about anything is to take a pill. At 18 years of age, doctors don't like to put you on a lot of different meds. I have already been through both Ambien and Xanax prescriptions. The xanax helps for sleeping, but the risk for physical addiction is rather high; especially when compared to cannabis.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I've have had the horrible problem of sleeping more than four hours, no matter when it is that i go to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by R.F. View Post
    Oh I agree completely that big business has convinced our society that the best way to fix just about anything is to take a pill. At 18 years of age, doctors don't like to put you on a lot of different meds. I have already been through both Ambien and Xanax prescriptions. The xanax helps for sleeping, but the risk for physical addiction is rather high; especially when compared to cannabis.
    same here. i have tried both, as well as lunesta, rozerem and ativan. the ativan works, but when i wake up i am a zombie.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    perhaps that bad rep is perpetuated in part by companies who want to sell us more expensive [and often less effective] pharmaceuticals for many ills which could be treated with a much less expensive and much more organic alternative. as a chronic severe migraine sufferer, i find the ban on cannabis insulting to my intelligence.
    Seriously? Dude, I'm gonna tell you I think ALL drugs should be legalized, and you should be able to put whatever the hell you want in your body. But drug companies contibuting to the bad rap marijuana has? I'm crying foul on that one. Maybe the more prurient interests in our society, but not drug companies. I can much more easily see them behind the idea of making it legal, so that they can sell it instead of the local hood on the street.

Oh I agree completely that big business has convinced our society that the best way to fix just about anything is to take a pill
    I'm sooooo sick of the concept of the "evil big business". It's not even true. I don't think business is the reason for that. I think people are. They go to the doctor, and if the doctor says go home, there's nothing the matter with you, then they are upset. So doctors have taken to sending people home with pills, because it's what they demand. People want a quick fix for everything. Don't blame big business for the lack of discipline on the part of people.

Ok, guys, I'm willing to accept the argument that marijuana should be made legal, because it's your body, and you should be able to smoke it if you want. I'm also willing to accept the argument that since alcohol, and nicotine are both legal marijuana should be too. I'm not willing to accept that it has some magical benefical properties that cure medical problems. I don't buy it, any more than I do for smoking. It's not good for you, it has more carcingens than cigarettes do, and it holds the very real possibility of drug addiction, and further drug use. Just like alcohol does. I'm ok with arguing that it should be legal, but let's not make it more than it really is. BTW, in case you're wondering, I had a long and illustrious dope smoking career. I don't do it anymore for three primary reasons. It seemed to make me depressed, and that depression lasted for a good solid week. It's illegal, and I won't take the chance that it might cost me something really important to me, like a job. I think I kinda just outgrew it. I'm over it.
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    Seriously? Dude, I'm gonna tell you I think ALL drugs should be legalized, and you should be able to put whatever the hell you want in your body. But drug companies contibuting to the bad rap marijuana has? I'm crying foul on that one. Maybe the more prurient interests in our society, but not drug companies. I can much more easily see them behind the idea of making it legal, so that they can sell it instead of the local hood on the street.
    Than why do they continue to lobby to restrict funding for scientific testing on the efficacy of cannabis for myriad medical uses? The prurient interests in our society are certainly a factor, but not a factor with the political power the pharmeceutical companies have. Let's not forget GHW Bush was the president of Eli Lilly, Rumsefled the president of Searle, and so on, and so on. They have a lot of power, so if they wanted it legalized, chances are, it'd have happened before now. Instead we see them filing friend of the court briefs to overrule the states' rights of Californians. Facts are facts and the drug companies are no friends of the legalization movement.

Country
    Country Flag

Than why do they continue to lobby to restrict funding for scientific testing on the efficacy of cannabis for myriad medical uses? The prurient interests in our society are certainly a factor, but not a factor with the political power the pharmeceutical companies have. Let's not forget GHW Bush was the president of Eli Lilly, Rumsefled the president of Searle, and so on, and so on. They have a lot of power, so if they wanted it legalized, chances are, it'd have happened before now. Instead we see them filing friend of the court briefs to overrule the states' rights of Californians. Facts are facts and the drug companies are no friends of the legalization movement.
    Got any links?

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

Got any links?
    When I'm not at work [and nobody can see what i am looking up] I will gladly find some and re-post.

Country
    Country Flag

T, I agree that cannabis should be legal for recreational use, for the reasons that you listed. As for cannabis having "some magical benefical properties that cure medical problems," I don't believe anyone here ever said that it CURES medical problems, only that it helps. Is it magical? No, but it does help. Is it completely harmless? No, but neither is almost any kind of pill.

As for "evil big business," everyone has different views and opinions as to how society is shaped and what not. In my opinion, some pharmaceutical companies ARE at fault for perpetuating the idea that you can cure pretty much anything with a pill. I see adds on T.V. all the time trying to sell anything from anti-depressants to penis enlargement. Most people that see these commercials do not need anti-depressants, but there are a lot of people who see the add and then go to the doctor to see if they need whatever medicine they saw. Penis enlargement is a whole nother subject, and I believe it is all a scam to make money off of insecure males.

I am not saying DOWN WITH CAPITALISM, or even that the majority of businesses out there are bad. There are, however, some big businesses making nigh un-fathomable amounts of money off of people who don't really need what the company sells.

Country
    Country Flag

When I'm not at work [and nobody can see what i am looking up] I will gladly find some and re-post.

Gotcha, an interesting side note...A good freind of mine is a daily pot-smoker. Colorado just placed an initiative on the ballot during the last election about legalizing marijuana. I voted for it, he voted against it. His reasoning was his kids. So sometimes it's your fellow pot smokers, and not the big bad drug companies.

Country
    Country Flag

T, I agree that cannabis should be legal for recreational use, for the reasons that you listed. As for cannabis having "some magical benefical properties that cure medical problems," I don't believe anyone here ever said that it CURES medical problems, only that it helps. Is it magical? No, but it does help. Is it completely harmless? No, but neither is almost any kind of pill.

As for "evil big business," everyone has different views and opinions as to how society is shaped and what not. In my opinion, some pharmaceutical companies ARE at fault for perpetuating the idea that you can cure pretty much anything with a pill. I see adds on T.V. all the time trying to sell anything from anti-depressants to penis enlargement. Most people that see these commercials do not need anti-depressants, but there are a lot of people who see the add and then go to the doctor to see if they need whatever medicine they saw. Penis enlargement is a whole nother subject, and I believe it is all a scam to make money off of insecure males.

I am not saying DOWN WITH CAPITALISM, or even that the majority of businesses out there are bad. There are, however, some big businesses making nigh un-fathomable amounts of money off of people who don't really need what the company sells.
    Caveat Emptor

Gotcha, an interesting side note...A good freind of mine is a daily pot-smoker. Colorado just placed an initiative on the ballot during the last election about legalizing marijuana. I voted for it, he voted against it. His reasoning was his kids. So sometimes it's your fellow pot smokers, and not the big bad drug companies.
    but my point remains. colorado could hypothetically have passed the initiative like california did, and the federal gov't still would have stepped in and put the kibash on it, just like they did with california. so much for states' rights there. i refuse to believe the gov't acts on anything without repsect for where their contributions come from, not to mention the number of policy advisors who were former pharm company execs. it's not a singular issue of cause and effect, but in general, corporations have undue influence on our process. until we remove the money from the process, it won't change. under our current system, a corportation has more rights than an individual. this is preposterous. it's not a conspiracy theory, but the way it works in reality. large corporations have a large say. are they the ultimate arbiter, no, but influence is influence and private people, or lobbying groups with no money have very little.

Country
    Country Flag

Caveat Emptor
    By all means, let the buyer beware... but at some point companies have to take responsibility for pushing products that actually increase the risk of suicide and tendancy for suicidal thoughts in children and young adults.

Caveat Emptor
    By all means, let the buyer beware... but at some point companies have to take responsibility for pushing products that actually increase the risk of suicide and tendancy for suicidal thoughts in children and young adults.
    How about "properly informed buyer" beware? It is not theory but fact that many legal drugs were fast-tracked by the FDA without proper testing/accurate results-reporting. it's hard to blame a consumer who was not informed of his/her actual risks, or even a doctor who prescribed something based on inaccurate reporting from the manufacturer. my sister used to work for merck, so i know a bit about dishonest these companies can be, not that there isn't a mountain of evidence that this false reporting is the case in many situations. i am not against the pharma industry, but i am against it not having to play by the oversight rules we are supposed to enforce in this country. do you think it at all telling that this is only one of two countries on the planet where pharma is allowed to advertise on tv? i surely do.

Country
    Country Flag

Pharma has done a lot to help mankind, but at the end of the day it is still a business.

Looking at insomnia in particular: I have tried Ambien, Xanax, as well as Lunesta. Ambien and lunesta did not help, Xanax did. So to help me sleep I can either take a pill which not only is PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE, but also has a long list of possible side effects, (Also, it is possible to O.D. on xanax, it does take a lot, but it is possible) or I can smoke a joint which is not physically addictive, and only causes a handfull of effects that aren't really that bad. If you stop taking Xanax after you are addicted to it, you go through physical W.D.s, which can include seizures and even death. If you smoke cannabis every day for a year and stop, you will probably have decreased appetite, minor agitation, and insomnia (which I have to begin with).
    Cannabis does have medicinal properties. It is not a miracle drug, but it is damn close. While anything can be mentally addicting to someone with an addictive personality, Cannabis does not cause chemical dependency like nicotene, caffeine, heroin, xanax, hydrocodone, etc etc.

Country
    Country Flag

Caveat Emptor
    How about "properly informed buyer" beware? It is not theory but fact that many legal drugs were fast-tracked by the FDA without proper testing/accurate results-reporting. it's hard to blame a consumer who was not informed of his/her actual risks, or even a doctor who prescribed something based on inaccurate reporting from the manufacturer. my sister used to work for merck, so i know a bit about dishonest these companies can be, not that there isn't a mountain of evidence that this false reporting is the case in many situations. i am not against the pharma industry, but i am against it not having to play by the oversight rules we are supposed to enforce in this country. do you think it at all telling that this is only one of two countries on the planet where pharma is allowed to advertise on tv? i surely do.
    The push to rush drugs to market is not only coming from the pharmacuetical companies. It's coming from aids patients and the like also. I also have to say that with some of these drugs, they are being pulled off of the amrket eventhough they only cause problems in a very few people, and their benefit far outweighs their risk. One example is the arthritus drug that was recently pulled, because some people had heart failure while taking it. Some people die from airbags, but their benefits far outweigh the risks. Snake oil salemen have existed since the dawn of man. If you think you need help growing a larger penis, or hair, and you go out and purchase these products, then it's your loss when they don't work. I'm reminded of women getting breast implants, then suing the companies that manufature them. Ummmmm HELL-FUCKING-LO You're having a foreign substance surgically implanted in your body purely for the cause of vanity? What's wrong with THAT picture. Dude, people have to take some responsibility for themselves. Maybe your little boy isn't ADD, maybe he's just a normal kid with a lot of energy. i shudder to think how many chemicals I'd have been on had a been born ten years later. I would have been the original ritalin kid. Teenagers are going to go through some depression. As a parent it's your responsibility to recognize it, and help them work through it, NOT run them off to the shrink and get them put on meds.

Country
    Country Flag

T, I agree that people should take more responsibility for themselves and their children. Sadly, that is not what I see happening, and also not what I see adds on T.V. advertising.

Country
    Country Flag

People advertise because it's effective. If it didn't help to sell their shit, they wouldn't bother advertising on TV. Again, businesses don't act against their own self interest. It costs a lot of money to put an ad on TV, if it doesn't raise revenue, they'd stop advertising.

Country
    Country Flag

Once again, T, I agree with what you are saying. I'm not sure that we are exactly on the same page, though.

By advertising and trying to help sell their shit, while acting in their own self interest, businesses can be acting directly against what is in the interest of those on the recieving end of the advertisements.

"If you think you need help growing a larger penis, or hair, and you go out and purchase these products, then it's your loss when they don't work."
    If someone is not happy with their penis, or hair, and they are constantly bombarded by advertisements for products/drugs that claim to cure/treat/improve whatever, it IS their loss when the products don't work. That is the problem. Businesses can sell products that don't work, or can have horrendous side effects, or whatever, while something like cannabis which has beneficial properties with very little negative effects is banned and near impossible to do research on.

Gunslinger Apprentice al'Lan Mandragoran is on a distinguished road al'Lan Mandragoran's Avatar

Default Insomnia?

I was reading the namesake book by SK, when the urge to look up this disorder seized me. So, I asked a couple of my teachers, and I looked on the internet... and I found that I have insomnia myself. It can take me hours to even doze, and I wake up at around 3 in the morning. So... if anyone, who else has insomnia, or just trouble sleeping? What do you do to treat it? If you take meds, what do you take and what are the side effects? I'd rather not tell anyone who'll drag me to a doctor until I know what I'd be getting myself into.
    Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather. - al'Lan Mandragoran, Eye of the World

someone actually started at insomnia thread recently al'Lan. check it out...

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...hlight=disease

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast