Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Historical Fiction

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Read McCarthy's Blood Meridian. It's a haunting look at the scalp trade in the 1840s.
    I came in here to post about that actually. Its one of the best books I've ever read hands down as well as one of the most despairing. I think its one of the most astute things ever written about American Exceptionalism. Very few things within the past few years have affected me as much as Blood Meridian. People tend to hate McCarthy or love him and I'm definitely the latter in all respects. Several times I had to put this book down for a few minutes and just weep. You can call me a pussy JB, but I couldn't care less.
    why would I do that? I cried during Marley and Me.

And I already have that book on my to buy list, but since you recommend it so highly I'll push it to the front of the list.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    look in the gude to dutch hill.

it's under "people of the..."
    Hey thanks, I hadn't noticed you added the link.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Hey JB, I really enjoyed Gates of Fire. Twas awesome
    And I can't believe I kept forgetting you told me already. I won't forget again feevs, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I don't read alot of historical fiction, but I love James Clavell. Shogun is an amazing read and the books that follow on from it, Gai Jin, Tai Pan are entertaining, if not the best writing around.
    His WW2 story King Rat is a complete knock out though, that's highly recommended.
    Is King Rat a stand alone book, or do I read the other 3 first?>
    Last edited by sarajean; 07-16-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: unnecessary double posts
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I'll be interested to read your thoughts on it Bruno. Its a very discussion provoking book in the right hands.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I've got the first book in the Brethren of the Coast series--The Guardship by James Nelson sitting on my bookshelf. Its a good book; Nelson's use of the time period's dialect is something I really enjoyed. I can't say how the rest of the book is, since at some random point it just jumped back on my bookshelf and is still there waiting for me.

The pirate angle is what attracted me; the Pirates movie trilogy is my favorite, but of course they're fantasy. I was interested in a realistic look at the buccaneers.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I actually have a problem with authors using age specific dialect. If they want to use arcane phrasing, that's period correct, that's fine. But I don' want to read Canterbury Tales all over again, and don't much care for occitan.

Plain english, or spanish, is fine for me.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Large sections of Blood Meridian are in Spanish. McCarthy is fluent and thinks all Americans are idiots if they aren't.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite book from this genre has been Ride the Wind by Lucia St. Clair Robson. It is the story of Cynthia Ann Parker. I have a friend from highschool (B. Parker) who is a decendant of Quanah Parker. He recommended the book to me, and it was very good. JB, I saw that you had read books on Sitting Bull and a couple of other Indian legends. If you enjoy books about Native Americans, don't let this one pass you up.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Breezy

I've read abou Quanah before, definitely an interesting person. If you like biographies of native americans, read Panther In The Sky, it's definitely the best I've ever read, and it's the story of Tecumseh, from his point of view. Fictional, of course, but historically accurate.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    JB, I don't remember if it was you I mentioned this to before, but here goes:

Conn Iggulden's books about Caesar. The series is called "Emperor". 4 books so far, great stuff.
    Also Wilbur Smith's books about Taita. (River God, The Seventh Scroll, Warlock and The Quest)
    I'm currently on the 1st Emperor book myself Chap, and it really is great stuff!

True, my new interest in ancient rome is partly because i've been playing Rome: Total War a lot, but also because ancient rome is pretty much my favourite period of history to read about anyway, whether fact or fiction: epic wars, a republic which became an empire, a civilisation with an underbelly of many vices including prostitution, all of that is great stuff for storytelling, I reckon.

Anyone know any other great Roman fiction that I should watch out for?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

This isn't completely historical fiction but I quite enjoyed it. Fun summer reading anyway.

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

It is part Salem witch trials part 1990s college life. The historical parts were my favorite.
    ♪♪No secret, no matter how nasty can poison your voice or keep you from joy ♪♪ -- Perfume Genius

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    3. "Aztec" by Gary Jennings. he has a couple of them on this genre, and Aztec itself has a couple of pretty good sequels.
    I've had this one for a long time but have not picked it up yet. I inherited it when my parents moved away. You really liked it, huh?

Gunslinger Apprentice Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Three names come to mind.
    Ken Follett: Pillars of the Earth and its sequel World Without End revolve around a medieval village in England. The interaction of the peasantry, nobililty, clergy and rising merchantile classes is analysed in this novelization. Good characters and drama. Ken's WWII stuff is enjoyable too. I particularly liked The Jackdaws and Hornet Flight.

Harry Turtledove: master of alternative history. Start with Guns of the South and if that's not your cup of tea, then proceed no further. Otherwise you would enjoy his larger works that start with the premise that the CSA was able to achieve its autonomy and history works from there.

Jack Whyte: I'm still waiting for the third book of his Templar trilogy. The first two were excellent. They echo some of Dan Brown's conspiracies while still holding to a very well researched history. He also has his take on the Authurian Mythos. I've read Uther and liked it.

Traveler Devorah is on a distinguished road

Default Best Historical Fiction

The Master's of Rome series is excellent. I can't enjoy the book when I'm constantly thinking "that's wrong". This series is different. She clearly did her research. It is wonderfully written and brings to life such people as Marious, Sulla, Cicero, Caesar and so many more.

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    3. "Aztec" by Gary Jennings. he has a couple of them on this genre, and Aztec itself has a couple of pretty good sequels.
    I've had this one for a long time but have not picked it up yet. I inherited it when my parents moved away. You really liked it, huh?
    Read it, and any other Jennings you can get your hands on.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cort is on a distinguished road Cort's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Viking series by Tim Severin is pretty good. It covers some Norse,Irish and Saxon history and is quite nicely written, nothing too deep but an enjoyable series of books all the same.

My Mood
    Breezy

that sounds very interesting. I'll put it on my list.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I'll have to come back, there's a bunch of books I've read when I was dealing with fact and fiction and my struggle with religion and history. I have a lot of books dealing with the Roman Empire, before during and after Julius Caesar. Tons of Greek and Norse mytho books. Thor is my god! A few Arthur books. Books on Celtic history and Mythos. I'll have to find them so I can list them.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

My Mood
    Breezy

Arthur Books? i think Chris T posted some about him and Robin Hood I have on my list. When I'm done with my Malazan Book of the Fallen series I'm reading those next.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've talked before about wanting to check out one of Margaret George's historical fiction books, but now I'm ready to start on one. I'm looking around on Amazon and can't decide which to read first between the Henry VIII, Cleopatra, Helen of Troy or Mary Magdalene books. All of them sound great to me. Any recommendations from anyone who may have read any of them?
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    why would I do that? I cried during Marley and Me.
    Sorry for the double post, but I had to comment on this....I don't think i've ever been as torn up by a book as I was by Marley and Me. I was inconsolable after reading that book, it had such an emotional impact on me. I love my dog like a child.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never even noticed this thread before. Gates of Fire is one of my favorites, JB, it's funny that we've never talked about it before.

Someone mentioned this above, but The Camulod Chronicles (they're called something else not in the U.S., I think) by Jack Whyte are really enjoyable. The character Publius Varrus in the first few of those books is one of my all time favorite literary characters.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Wow. How I have missed this? I love historical fiction, so much that I even prefer historical romances

JB got me hooked on Wouk, Winds of War and War and Remembrance are easily some of my favorites. Sheesh, I don't even know where to begin.

Centennial by Michener

North and South by John Jakes

The Woodsman and The Captives by Donald K. Wright~~Set during the America Revolution

Sacajawea by Anna Lee Waldo

The Grass Crown by Collen McCullough~actually the second book in a whole series about the last days of the Roman Empire. I haven't read any of the others but this one is very good.

These come to mind quickly. I'll have to think of some more. My stepdad is a voracious reader and always had books about WWII or the Civil War handy and I read whatever he was at the time.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    My favorite book from this genre has been Ride the Wind by Lucia St. Clair Robson. It is the story of Cynthia Ann Parker. I have a friend from highschool (B. Parker) who is a decendant of Quanah Parker. He recommended the book to me, and it was very good. JB, I saw that you had read books on Sitting Bull and a couple of other Indian legends. If you enjoy books about Native Americans, don't let this one pass you up.
    This may sound weird but my 3 sisters and 1 brother are also descendants of Quanah Parker. we have different fathers. Their father is also a descendant. And yes that is a good book. I read it while my mother was looking up our family history when I was younger.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3