Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: King & The Rock Bottom Remainders live 06/22/12

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default King & The Rock Bottom Remainders live 06/22/12

http://livetalkslarbr.eventbrite.com/
    Live Talks Los Angeles invites you to:

An Evening with The Rock Bottom Remainders
    Featuring Stephen King, Amy Tan, Dave Barry, Scott Turow,
    Mitch Albom,Matt Groening, James McBride, Roy Blount, Jr.,
    Ridley Pearson, Greg Iles & Sam Barry

in concert at The El Rey Theatre

Friday, June 22, 2012, 8:30pm (Reception 6:30-7:30pm)

At Live Talks Los Angeles, we typically feature conversations, but we are excited to be producing a concert featuring some luminaries of the literary world. The Rock Bottom Remainders -- the all author rock band -- will perform at the El-Rey Theatre, June 22. Roger McGuinn of the Byrds, whom we featured in conversation in November 2011, joins as musical guest.

Marking the band's 20th anniversary, the band has decided its 20 year run will mark the end and will host their final public concert at the El Rey Theatre on Friday, June 22. The show is part of the band's final two city concert tour --The Past Our Bedtime Tour.

Confirmed for the concert are Stephen King, who hasn't performed with the band since 2007; Amy Tan, Dave Barry, Mitch Albom, Scott Turow, Matt Groening, James McBride, Greg Iles, Ridley Pearson, Roy Blount, Jr, and Sam Barry. The band dedicates these two concerts to founder Kathi Goldmark, who passed away on May 24th after a courageous battle with cancer.

On the upcoming concert Stephen King, who plays rhythm guitar says, "A few years ago, Bruce Springsteen told us we weren't bad, but not to try to get any better otherwise we'd just be another lousy band. After 20 years, we still meet his stringent requirements. For instance, while we all know what 'stringent' means, none of us have yet mastered an F chord." King adds, "I'm looking forward to reuniting with all my bandmates. We're older but not dead. Some of us can remember all of the words; all of us can remember some of the words; but NONE of us can remember all of the music. That's why they call it rock and roll."

Dave Barry, co-lead guitarist, chimes in, "It's not that we had a 'creative differences' issue, or some in the band wanted to launch solo music careers, but the fact is that we can no longer play an entire set without aving to pee." Barry adds, "We realize the Rolling stones are celebrating 50 years this year, but we don't want to reach the point where our stage moves involve motorized scooters."

Since the band's founding in Anaheim in 1992 -- at a book convention -- they have strictly performed to support causes, and have raised over $2 Million for various literacy causes. Proceeds from the El Rey show will benefit the Los Angeles Downtown Women's Center, The Midnight Mission and the launch of an Emerging Author Series at Live Talks Los Angeles.
    http://www.rockbottomremainders.com/pages/band.html

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is obviously a great place for the "Haven Fund Whore" to be!!!!!

Rock on!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone going? Or getting the signed stuff?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am going, but haven't bought the lithograph, or book(s).

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

You could buy the "Book(s) or Litho" for me since I can't go ????

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post

Both can be ordered online. https://livetalkslarbr.eventbrite.com/

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

On a side note, has anyone figured out what book will be offered? If it's signed by the entire band, I doubt it is a King book.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

I was just F-ing with Jerome

P.S...... F-ing meaning Fathers' Daying 8)

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

I was just F-ing with Jerome

P.S...... F-ing meaning Fathers' Daying 8)
    Gotcha! Hard to catch sarcasm while reading.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

On a side note, has anyone figured out what book will be offered? If it's signed by the entire band, I doubt it is a King book.
    The way I interpret the language in the offering (and BTW, who knows, because one can never get a fucking clear answer from the people that are to be sent $~450), is that for $150 you receive (after the concert, to be shipped later) a lithograph signed by every member of the band (one would presume that includes Stephen King). The lithograph should be this image:

The signed book(s) issue is very unclear. It can be read as though a buyer would receive numerous books-each one a title from the individual author (I count 10+ possible books)-all of which have been signed by the author. It also could read as some book they all signed-multiple copies of course and the buyer receives one book-with multiple signature-again hoping Stephen King is one of the signers.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

I was told it is one book from each author (their most recent publication) and in Kings case it is 11/22/63. It is not one book signed by all but rather one book from each author/band member. At least that was what I was told via email answer.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ditto
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1306035.story
    Pick a fight with Stephen King? Roger McGuinn has no fear.

Asked if he's a better writer than King is a musician, McGuinn — a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer with '60s Los Angeles band the Byrds — laughed, but didn't hesitate.

"I think so," he says, speaking from a solo tour stop in Nashville. "That's not saying a whole lot, though. Stephen still needs to work on his F chord."

McGuinn and King, an amateur guitarist and singer, are sometimes-members of the Rock Bottom Remainders, a pickup band of mostly authors which for the last 20 years has played charity concerts of rock classics and a few originals. Now the good-natured jokes are flying as the band's members gear up for what are billed as the band's two final shows.

"You need to put in that Steve learned to play the F sharp minor chord," King crows, confirming his real-life reputation as a nice guy from his home in Maine. "You can tell Roger that F chord is put to bed, baby." It's been seven years since King last played a Remainders show, he notes, and he's been practicing.

They'll both be here for two Southern California shows, Friday at the El Rey Theatre and Saturday in a private concert at the American Library Assn. Convention in Anaheim — the very place and event at which the group made its debut two decades ago. King and fellow charter members Dave Barry and Amy Tan ("The Joy Luck Club") will be in the lineup, along with long-timers Scott Turow ("Presumed Innocent"), Mitch Albom ("Tuesdays With Morrie"), "The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening, humorist Roy Blount Jr., Greg Iles ("The Devil's Punchbowl"), suspense writer Ridley Pearson and James McBride ("The Color of Water").

McGuinn is the "ringer," a role that in the past has also been taken by the late Warren Zevon, Ronnie Spector, Judy Collins, Al Kooper (the Remainders' original musical director) and, in one memorable instance, Bruce Springsteen.

But these concerts, benefiting L.A. assistance organizations the Midnight Mission and the Downtown Women's Center, plus the new Emerging Authors Series at Live Talks Los Angeles, are also slated to close the book on the Remainders.

This two-date Past Our Bedtime Tour comes just weeks after the breast cancer death of Kathi Kamen Goldmark, the person who brought the Remainders together in the first place. She got to know many writers in her job coordinating book tour stops in the Bay Area and discovered that many harbored rock star fantasies, as did she.

A few phone calls later, a band was born. Annual ALA shows followed the Anaheim debut, plus some short tours and a book, "Mid-Life Confidential," featuring photos by King's wife, Tabitha, and essays by the participants, with roughly $2 million raised for various causes.

When Goldmark's health took a turn recently, it was decided that the Remainders would gather one last time in her honor.

"It's not really possible for any of us to imagine playing without Kathi," says Barry, whose brother Sam (also a Remainders member) was married to Goldmark. "No question these will be our last shows, but it will be a tribute to her. Not that it will be maudlin. That's not us, and certainly wasn't Kathi."

Indeed, the spirits are high and the tales are tall as McGuinn, Barry and King look back over the band's legacy. King cackles while telling of Tan, wearing the skintight cat suit that became a signature for her rendition of "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'," being booted from the band's L.A. hotel lobby before its first-ever gig.

"The manager thought she was a 'working girl,'" he says.

Barry's highlights include Springsteen serving as his backing vocalist on Them's "Gloria" — "The ultimate waste of Bruce Springsteen," he says — and Tan's husband, Louis DeMattei, acting out the car-crash death scene from "Leader of the Pack," dramatically falling to the stage.

"Just to be humorous, I went over to kick the body, and he writhed around, and Stephen came over and kicked him," Barry says. "After the show we went, 'Where's Lou?' He was at the hospital. He'd fractured his collarbone falling to the stage, and then we kicked him."

Barry also recalls King singing "Teen Angel" at a show in Nashville when a woman approached the stage, hands raised and flames rising from all 10 fingernails.

"I thought, 'Wow, Stephen's fans can be scary,'" he says. "Ridley came over and whispered in my ear, 'I don't ever want to be that famous.'"

King notes, "She probably was not strictly 100% sober. And Dave is careful to tell the audiences, 'The drunker you get, the better we sound.'"

That said, the music isn't really so bad. Several of the Remainders are, in fact, accomplished (or at least competent) musicians. Before they were successful writers, Tan studied piano, Albom played lounge piano gigs and both Iles and Barry spent a few years playing guitar in rock bands. McBride still maintains a parallel career as a composer and saxophonist and Pearson is an experienced bassist. And not taking any chances, they've got a real pro drummer in Josh Kelly.

"It's solid," McGuinn says, even when they cover such Byrds hits as "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Turn, Turn, Turn."

"Really it's just a matter of mixing," he says. "My Rickenbacker [12-string guitar] is there, my vocals, the harmonies are decent. It sounds very much like the Byrds."

Barry is a little less diplomatic.

"Ridley's a good bass player and Josh is a ringer," he says. "The rest of us turn down. So you have Roger with two competent musicians and we sound like the Byrds."

All three cite Springsteen's remark that they shouldn't get any better because then they'd just be "another lousy band." King's fine with that.

"People come up after and say, 'You guys suck,'" he says. "Yes, but we can, because it's for a good cause."

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

^ Can't wait!!! Leaving tomorrow night!!!

Spoiler:
    Shannon? I'm bringing my TMSG to meet SK!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Now that would be one awesome picture - Merlin, his TMSG and Sai King!

Now I dare ya to wear your Yankees cap!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

He doesn't want to get turned down if a chance of a sig or pic arises.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

King and the RBR performing Surfin Bird:

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Now I remember why I kept drinking.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The last song in the set was "Wild Thing" (before the encore song):

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Now I remember why I kept drinking.
    OMG did they really sound THAT bad?
    Funny how a few drinks makes everyone look pretty and music sound good.
    They really did have fun up there though didnt they?

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I think they sound AWESOME! So bummed I missed this.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Me too! Me too! This seems like so much fun!

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Me too! Me too! This seems like so much fun!
    It was!!! They even did a "Beatles" song, but the way they played it sounded more like "Wild Thing"!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Jealous, but happy for all who attended.

If you rescue me

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It was seriously fantastic. There are member stories and pics in the Booksigning thread in Calvin's Corner for anyone interested.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast