Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Joe Hill

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Joe Hill is so much better than his dad at the short stories. I'm actually dreading my read of Sunset, I'm avoiding it because his other collections were so bad. I can't think of a single story in 20th Century that I did not enjoy.

I'm really looking forward to Horns!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nocny View Post
    And where is Pop Art???
    I liked it, quite a lot, but I liked those I listed more that that...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I havent read it at all......Jean do you have this in a format you can share?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No... it's a book...

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Joe Hill is so much better than his dad at the short stories. I'm actually dreading my read of Sunset, I'm avoiding it because his other collections were so bad. I can't think of a single story in 20th Century that I did not enjoy.
    I can think of a few that I only marginally liked, but not a single one I didn't like at all.

Also, I agree with you about Joe Hill's father's short stories; afraid there's only two of us in the whole universe who are of this opinion. Anyway, I can tell you that to my personal taste JAS is a lot worse than anything you've read by King so far; in other collections there were some passable stories, and occasionally some good ones; here, none.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Ahh well, maybe I can buy it.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    Ahh well, maybe I can buy it.
    Linda, you can get the paperback on eBay for as low as $5 including shipping:

20th Century Ghosts

As a general rule, I always enjoy Stephen King's short stories, however (so far based on his smaller body of work) I absolutely love Joe Hill's short stories.
    Last edited by Patrick; 11-29-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: add link

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I can think of a few that I only marginally liked, but not a single one I didn't like at all.

Also, I agree with you about Joe Hill's father's short stories; afraid there's only two of us in the whole universe who are of this opinion. Anyway, I can tell you that to my personal taste JAS is a lot worse than anything you've read by King so far; in other collections there were some passable stories, and occasionally some good ones; here, none.
    Well, thanks Jean, now I'm really looking forward to it.

Oh and I don't think we're alone in thinking Joe is a better short story writer than his dad. I've met many others that think the same.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've actually always loved King's short stories, but Joe is phenomenal.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I guess I can still like you. You watch yourself Brice, you treading on thin ice now.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Going to start reading Horns later, really looking forward to it!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I guess I can still like you. You watch yourself Brice, you treading on thin ice now.

...and now so are you, heathen.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Im now over half way through Horns and i have to say what a great book it is so far!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Please don't take this too personally, but I hate you just a little for getting to read it before me.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thats ok lol i am thinking of selling the proof after i have done reading it (very carefully ofcourse) because i have 2!

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dibs!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I read it a couple of months ago and liked it alot! Can't wait to read it again
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been reading 20th Century Ghosts, and its a fabulous collection so far. I just finished The Black Phone, and I think it may be my favorite in the collection so far. Although I did enjoy Pop Art tremendously. The only story I actually disliked was You Will Hear The Locust Sing.

Got some more reading to do.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    The only story I actually disliked was You Will Hear The Locust Sing.
    So did bears.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well I'm glad that I'm not the only one Jean. If you could only pick one story out of this collection, which would you take?

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Country
    Country Flag

No, no, please, not one! Here are my very favorites:

Bobby Conroy Comes Back From The Dead
    My Father's Mask
    The Widow's Breakfast
    In The Rundown
    "Best New Horror"
    Better Than Home

- well, if it was necessary to name one, right now it would be Bobby Conroy Comes Back From The Dead, but as it is often the case with really good collections, the one very favorite is different depending on one's current state of mind (only a couple of months ago it was My Father's Mask... and it is In The Rundown or The Widow's Breakfast more often than I would consider desirable) ... thus, it may shift, but, I suppose, always stay one of those 6.

Traveler scottish_rogue is on a distinguished road scottish_rogue's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Heart Shaped Box was a good read for me as well. I liked the whole idea of the story because I am really into metal and rock and it caught my eye when I saw what the book was about. It was one of those books that felt like it was over too soon because I was so into it and read it quickly.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I finished Horns last night and it was a great book, i think i liked it more than Heart Shaped Box aswell and i loved that book. Very difficult not to give away what goes on, but everyone is in for a real treat imo.

Can't wait to read 20th Century Ghosts now!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, you haven't read that yet. In that case YOU are in for a real treat as it is WAY better than HSB...which I too loved.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Hear, hear.

<- didn't like HSB at all
    <- is madly in love with 20'sCG

Gunslinger Apprentice darkdiscoveries is on a distinguished road

I really liked Hill's collection 20th Century Ghosts and his novels Heart Shaped Box and Horns were pretty good too. I think he's a better short story writer than novelist at this point, but seems to continue to improve.

He's a super cool guy too and looks a lot like his dad (and sounds like him quite a bit too). I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to him at a signing at Powell's books in Portland, Or. a couple of months ago. He had done an interview for me for Dark Discoveries in 2008 (Issue #11) and it was nice to finally meet him in person. He also signed a few copies of his issue for me (sorry all sold out now!) and his books I had. He loved our Forrest J. Ackerman Special too with an EC-influenced cover.

- James
    http://www.darkdiscoveries.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast