Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Hill

Traveler Duck is on a distinguished road Duck's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Heart Shaped Box.

I only found out about this book and the fact King's son was a writer when I joined this forum and someone recommended it on the "what are you reading" thread.

I ordered it and gave it to my wife to read first (Stephen King fanatic) but didn't tell her Joe had anything to do with her favourite author. About 100 pages in she goes "this guy must be the illegitimate son of Stephen King".

Have to say, a great read, fast paced from the off and genuinely creepy in parts when the ghost first appears.

Will definitely be ordering 20th Century Ghosts.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

have read them both. enjoyed 20thCG so much that i ordered it as an audiobook. pop art just about wrecked me in audio format though.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Pop Art is one of my favorites!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Traveler taheen74 is on a distinguished road taheen74's Avatar

Heart Shaped Box actually scared me a little; which is something his dear, old dad hasn't done in years. Wish King would go back to his old former style (the last book that King wrote <aside from the DT series> that I actually liked was Blaze).
    "If you have to get down but can't find the elevator, you have to do it anyway you can- even if it's with a shovel.'- The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three

My avatar is my Spore creation. I call him Evil Monkey. All Hail the Evil Monkey.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Heart scared me too. I read most of it just before going to bed each night..with only a bedside light on. Creepy. I agree partially with your other statement too...King hasn't scared me too often (still my fav writer though).

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am reading Heart-Shaped Box now, and am almost totally unimpressed. Sometimes it is a little scary... but that's about it. I'll post when it's over... at last.

I am still happy to have it, because it's Lady Linda's! It's like I am hugging her every time I take the book, and it's a great redeeming feature.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Boo on you bear! I thought it was a very well written and thought provoking story. And it scared the bejesus out of me at times!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I really liked Heart Shaped Box. It did have that scary quality I miss in some of King's work (still a huge King fan though!)

I have 20th Century Ghosts but haven't gotten to it yet.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

It's ok, Jean, I still love you!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I really liked Heart Shaped Box. It did have that scary quality I miss in some of King's work (still a huge King fan though!)

I have 20th Century Ghosts but haven't gotten to it yet.
    You should put everything else aside and get to it like now.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I am reading Heart-Shaped Box now, and am almost totally unimpressed. Sometimes it is a little scary... but that's about it. I'll post when it's over... at last.

I am still happy to have it, because it's Lady Linda's! It's like I am hugging her every time I take the book, and it's a great redeeming feature.
    *Kiss*
    I do hope it grows on you !

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I read Heart Shaped Box last summer and it was really good, I loved it. I eventually want to read 20th Century Ghosts, how is it?/What is it about? [sorry if thats a dumb question,I know it's painfully obvious that it's about ghosts]

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    I read Heart Shaped Box last summer and it was really good, I loved it. I eventually want to read 20th Century Ghosts, how is it?/What is it about? [sorry if thats a dumb question,I know it's painfully obvious that it's about ghosts]
    It's not. It's a VERY good short story collection.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    It's not. It's a VERY good short story collection.
    Oh?, Really? I never knew it was short stories, I'll have to get right on that!

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I enjoyed Heart Shaped Box, however I didn't find it to be scary at all, except for maybe one scene. But then again I don't really scare too easily.
    Also 20th Century Ghosts was fantastic, and I enjoyed it alot more than Heart Shaped Box. There are really some wonderful little stories in there.

Anyone know when the next installments of Locke & Key are coming out?

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This past Wednesday.
    It's good.

oh such good news! I've been dying to read the next part.

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I really enjoyed "Heart Shaped Box". And right now I'm reading "20th Century Ghosts".

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Just wanted to give Hill fans a heads up: Joe's new book, HORNS, went on sale this morning with PS Publishing. There are two signed limited versions of it.

I don't want to derail this book discussion thread by talking about a collectible version of a book that none of us has read yet, so please see the Joe Hill thread in Calvin's Corner if you're interested.

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Now just have to wait for the finnish translation... (of course I could read in english too, but I prefer to read Important books in my native language first) and that could take a while. But luckily I have plenty of books to read before that.

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

Gunslinger Apprentice nocny will become famous soon enough nocny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished 20th Century Ghosts.
    I think it is better than 'After The Sunset'
    First 3 stories are really realy great and Pop Art is one of the best short stories I ever read!
    If you didn't read this book yet, you HAVE TO!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nocny View Post
    I just finished 20th Century Ghosts.
    I think it is better than 'After The Sunset'
    A lot better. Beyond compare, in fact.

My favorite stories are:

Bobby Conroy Comes Back From The Dead
    My Father's Mask
    The Widow's Breakfast
    In The Rundown
    "Best New Horror"
    Better Than Home

Gunslinger Apprentice nocny will become famous soon enough nocny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And where is Pop Art???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast