Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Farson=Marten, say what?

Traveler Asharak is on a distinguished road

Default Farson=Marten, say what?

I’m rereading the series, and I’m currently halfway through the new version of "The Gunslinger". What took me by surprise is that in Roland’s "Hax" flashback, he outright states it as fact that he discovered that Marten and Farson was in fact the same guy.

I did not remember this at all, and I’m of the impression that even as late as DT 7 Marten himself refers to Farson as just some guy he and CK used as a puppet in their schemes basically.

Am I remembering this wrong? It’s been 4 years since the last time I read the series, so it’s not like I remember everything perfectly.

Is the idea that Farson and Marten were two separate guys an invention of the marvel comic series? I wouldn’t mind it being canon that Farson is just another one of Martens many identities within the book continuity, since we never "see" Farson in the main series.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

King's view of Farson has changed over time. In the original version of The Gunslinger, Farson was a place! In the preamble to one of the later books, King says that Marten and Farson are the same person, but when I asked him directly about that recently he stated unequivocally that they were two different people.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The way I see it is - Marten had such a hold/influence over Farson that it ultimately didn't matter they were two different people. Marten was the puppet master, so to speak.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

In the Marvel comics, this isn't the case -- it seems more like Marten serves Farson than vice versa. He has his reasons for doing so, but there's no puppetry involved there.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Another baffling bit is is that there's a comment in DT7 about Gabrielle sucking off John Farson which makes sense if he's Marten. So was it basically just a Midworld equivalent to "yo mama"?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Another baffling bit is is that there's a comment in DT7 about Gabrielle sucking off John Farson which makes sense if he's Marten. So was it basically just a Midworld equivalent to "yo mama"?
    That's the way I took it. I always saw Marten and Farson as separate people.

John F. Kennedy Random321321 is on a distinguished road

If King has contradicted himself, it's probably pointless to argue about the "real answer".

+ Reply to Thread