Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dredd

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Neither can I. In the meantime, if you do want a taster of what Dredd's like at his best, here's a few recommendations:

Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgment in Gotham
    This was, essentially, my introduction to the comic proper, and seeing how TDKR is out soon, this seems like a perfect time to read it. Better still, it's an excellent story in it's own right. It's a great way of introducing the world of Dredd to people brand new to the comic by a veteran writer of both characters: Alan Grant, who's quick to show just how much of an arsehole Dredd can be. As someone who had only seen the film before reading this, this effectively blew my mind as to the kind of man Dredd is - not really a hero, borderline antagonistic in Judgment in Gotham, and that made him a very interesting main character. Coupled that with how his meeting with Batman is handled, along with Judge Death playing a prominent role, and you've got yourself a winner.
    (Can be found in The Batman/Judge Dredd Case Files)

Block Mania/The Apocalypse War
    Now this would look awesome on the big screen. It certainly looked awesome in the comic: block wars running rampant across the entire Mega-City before leading to a war that leads to the death of millions and leaves Dredd constantly fighting an almost unstoppable enemy, this is Dredd at his best. The ending I particularly like as being rather dark and morally ambiguous to say the least. A major turning point in Dredd's run, and one of his very best.
    (Can be found in Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 05)

America
    My all-time favourite Dredd strip, and just might be one of my favourite comic strips altogether. It follows the life of a single citizen in Mega-City 1 over the years, and takes a rather hard, dark look at the fascist system of the Judges. Wonderfully written, beautifully painted, this is a true classic that has to be read.

That's a few suggestions anyway. They certainly made me a fan of the comic and eventually subscribed to 2000AD, a comic I've now been collecting for nearly 6 years.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've only been getting 2000 AD for a few years myself* and I've yet to read the first two you listed. I particularly want to pick up the batman cross-over stories at some point.

I have read America though. A great story as you say. Apparently there's a new edition coming out soon.

* I met up on Saturday with a bunch of guys from the 2000 AD forums, many of whom read it from childhood. We meet up on occasion and buys stuff from Forbidden Planet and, well, drink. This time Pat Mills and Simon Bisley were signing for the new edition of Slaine: The Horned God.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Fucking awesome, dude! Sounds like another forum I need to visit. And damn, I had forgotten about that signing.

I'm glad they're reprinting America. Looking at it on Amazon, all that's available are really expensive 2nd hand copies. I'm really surprised it's taken them this long to reprint it, tbh. Makes me glad I got it as soon as I could, really. I need to re-read it, soon.

- Melike

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Fucking awesome, dude! Sounds like another forum I need to visit.
    Sure, come over! They're largely a nice enough bunch. Our next meet up of the Southern Contingent* will be to see the Dredd film, although no specific date is set yet.

*A Rogue Trooper gag there. The board members tend to base their meet ups on the part of the country their based, hence Northern Contingent/Souther contingent, with a bit of friendly rivalry on the boards. Amusingly, on Saturday's meet up one of the guys brought along a bunch of badges done in the Souther logo style which we all wore. How geeky is that? Heh. It's a lovely designed badge.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Dude, that sounds awesome! I signed up a while back, but as with most forums (bar this one), I forget to visit often, partly because I was usually behind on 2000AD progs. Think i'll come over soon. Would be awesome to meet with you guys, as well as have an excuse to meet the only other 2000AD fan I know on this board! And awesome on the Rogue Trooper name and badges! Actually got a Rogue Trooper t-shirt myself, althought it's a little worn out. Wore it to a convention a few years back, met the creators of Brodie's Law, and the artist drew me a sketch of Rogue based on my t-shirt. Still got it hanging up, so cool!

- Melike

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have only read a few Dredd comics myself which amounts to Tale of a Dead Man and Necropolis. But what I read I really enjoyed. I am gonna have to go pick some of these up to prepare for the movie

And is Anderson gonna be a Psi-Judge like she is in the comics?
    If you love me then love me..

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, I love those 2! Pretty much what drew me in to reading the series. Fair amount of continuity though, so I've been reading the Complete Case Files to fill in some stuff, which I buy whenever I can and read when convenient. Actually won the most recent one, 19, by sheer luck last week, which was the only one I needed! Double rainbow!

Awesome sig/av theme, btw! Guessing you like the character of Judge Death, then?

- Melike

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh hell yeah. I read the Batman Judge Dredd crossover with the Scarecrow and Judge Death when I was a kid and always liked the character and Necropolis clinched it for me. He's such a psychopath

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah, he's a fan favourite of a lot of people. I think that's why a lot of fans, as excited as they are about the actual film itself, many seem to be hoping it'll be good/successful enough to earn a sequel with the Dark Judges. To be fair, I can't say I blame them, but with the budget the filmmakers had, they definitely made the smart move keeping it small.

Oh, btw, saw this and just had to post it here:

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Dude Judge Fear just got soul punched

My Mood
    Yeehaw

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

He looks so fucking brutal in that upper right picture.

One thing I've always wondered - why do notable British comic writers/artists love setting their stories against American backdrops ? Watchmen, Dredd, Hellblazer, Gaiman ... does it suit the tone of the story better ?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I think so. The thing is, the superhero genre is a very American market. The only British comic book superheroes that I can think of are Captain Britain and Jack Staff, the latter of which is more of an "indie" thing. I guess there's also the American settings, especially New York, leaves more room for superheroes to do cool things, (spidey, I'm looking at you) or even for comics outside of that genre, it has a lot of cooler places for visual storytelling in general. Britain's not like that, the only real key setting is London.

With Judge Dredd though, there is something more British about him than most other comic book characters. For starters, he's not a superhero - he's really a cross between a cop and a fascist. Which leads me to my second point - despite the fact that he's an American character, he was really done as a kind of extreme parody of the Thatcher government in Britain back in the 70s/80s. I think that's why he hasn't been as popular in America as he is over here (the number of exaggerated jokes at consumer American culture, such as the League of Fatties and the HUGE number of fads in MC1, probably didn't help). Really, he started out as a joke. It's a testament to the character that he's still going strong today, I think, UK wise. Partly because there's always something to make fun of, partly because the cross between extreme satire and serious action helped make Dredd an incredibly complicated character, but mostly because he's so ridiculously fucking badass!

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Had to post this here, after seeing a guy post about what happened when he just missed the screening for Dredd last week:
    Spoiler:

Totally fucking awesome!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I saw that. What a lovely gesture! (I am Mardroid on that forum.)

OH, and.. not movie related, but the latest outcome of Day of Chaos?
    Spoiler:
    That. Many.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Regarding Day of Chaos: I know!

Spoiler:
    Can't imagine how much lower the number of people living there is going to get with the number of people that might think that, after a nuclear war, a necropolis, and now an uber-violent plague, it might be a good idea to move out of Mega City 1.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Too far away for me, (assuming plane tickets aren't included) but...

Okay, I largely linked to it for the terrific animated poster.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Dude, that is just awesome! Argh, so wish I could go, too!

One slight niggle, though: anyone else bothered that they seem to have added "3D" to the title? Just seems unnecessary, to say the very, very least. Also sounds like the distributor isn't too sure it would do well otherwise. Look at the BIG 3D movies - Avatar, Captain America, Avengers - and the not so big ones - Piranha 3D, My Bloody Valentine 3D, Saw 3D. Then again, I'm not expecting it to be a huge blockbuster, in fact I think aiming to be such was a big part of where the first Dredd went wrong, but the added 3D to the title just kinda bugs me. Especially as I'll be seeing it in 2D (well, one of the times I'll see it, anyway, and that's if I definitely enjoy it. We'll see, anyway).

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

My (granted limited) 3D experience hasn't been all that great* but hopefully it will be good in Dredd. It was filmed in 3D from the start rather than being converted, which I understand is the case of most 3D films. I'll agree, it's far from being the most important thing to me.

As for advertising the 3D, I don't mind if it's done in small print like the picture bar in your signature. It was a bit much that article I linked too though. Never mind. As long as it helps get bums on seats...

*I saw The Avengers in 3D, and while I enjoyed the film, the 3D effect wasn't that great for me. Way too blurry. That might have been the fault of the cinema though, I haven't seen enough to judge. I do remember seeing a 3D film on an imax screen in Vancouver years ago, and that was pretty great. It was just a gimicky thing with footage of rollercoaster rides and undersea stuff and, IN YOUR FACE stuff, but it was great fun for what it was.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The problem with real-3D is that the resolution must be scaled down to make room for the dual overlapping images that create the effect. That's why I will always prefer films in non-3D IMAX settings. The highest resolution possible, with the biggest screen possible.

Country
    Country Flag

Dredd previewed at the San Diego Comic Con recently. From the reviews, it seems to have gone down very well!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I was just reading the IGN review. Promising, I must say. It's exactly what I hoped: a good action film that does fair justice to Dredd, no more, no less. Hopefully, it'll sell well in the US enough for them to make sequels and expand it a little. For the moment, all we can really hope is that the film is decent, at least.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I was going to post that on here, but I completely forgot.

Yeah, I read the IGN review this morning too. The part that got me the most excite was this

"In many ways, Dredd feels like an action film from a simpler time, like Assault on Precinct 13 or Escape From New York..."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/12/dredd-review

Country
    Country Flag

Here's a new clip. Shows that the slow-mo isn't regular slow motion. I hope it's used sparingly though, but it's pretty effective here:

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Agreed. Liked how the colours got brighter in slow-mo. Very brutal, very bloody. Really liking it.

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast