Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Variant cover of The Wind Through the Keyhole?

Along the Path of the Beam Spaceman Spiff is on a distinguished road Spaceman Spiff's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Variant cover of The Wind Through the Keyhole?

Question:

I'm a member of LibraryThing.com (social network site for book freaks) and when I was adding my new copy of the Scribner edition of The Wind Through the Keyhole to my collected books today, I noticed the options for cover image included a version I'd not seen before. It looks just like the Scribner edition, but is missing the tiger, the cage and the person holding the lantern.

Does anyone know what the source of this cover is? Is there a variant cover to the Scribner edition? Or is this a foreign edition? Or perhaps some kind of error/preliminary release of incomplete artwork?

(I'll try to add an image here. The cover I'm talking about is the 1st/left one. As you can see, it matches the Scribner cover (3rd one), but has no tiger, cage or person-with-lantern). (Ignore the "high quality" and resolution dimensions in the lower-right of each cover image).

Thanks,
    John
    John
    (To see my Stephen King collection: click here).

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

BCE?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Wasn't that the first artwork that was released/leaked? Some thought it was a teaser and others thought it was a generic placeholder image that would, in time, be replaced by the actual image of the cover.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty sure it's the early 'placeholder' artwork that was used when the book had just been announced.

*edit: what Neosatus said!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes that initial cover was released early September 2011 (discussed here http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post638359 but the cover now is the final version, unfortunately). Personally, I preferred the "not final" version. You can compare the two:

Along the Path of the Beam Spaceman Spiff is on a distinguished road Spaceman Spiff's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Pablo!!
    John
    (To see my Stephen King collection: click here).

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
    Thanks, Pablo!!
    Pablo, is TDT.Org Sr. Correspondent!!!! He's almost like Walter Cronkite!!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The original is a great picture... but I also like a good tiger. Swings and roudabouts I suppose. As a piece of art, the first is great, but I think for this story second has got to be the winner as it relates to the story.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No one else prefers the first version?

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Purely as a piece of art unrelated to the book, I think I prefer it to the other.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I loathe both. Haha. Sorry, I know that's not the answer you were looking for. I can't seem to be able to arrange the damn thing to fit anywhere on the shelf properly. That spine really stands out. UK editions are much nicer this time around.

+ Reply to Thread