Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: General Wind Through The Keyhole

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There's certainly a Desperation similarity. Much like the comic origins
    Spoiler:
    of the Little Sisters

I actually found myself thinking of the fairy though. Don't get me wrong, I doubt she was responsible for
    Spoiler:
    creating the Skin-Man
    as I don't think her power goes that far, but that emphasis on green light for both was curious.

I also wondered at the idea that it was something from the
    Spoiler:
    Great Old Ones that infected the man. It seemed more supernatural to me but then again if the Great Old Ones dug too far, that doesn't rule out a supernatural source.

I think that was the implication.

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Now the german print ist available for preorder @ amazon. The cover differs from all the others!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

These are some great reviews. I just finished it and I'm still processing but I must admit it was nice to roll with the Katet again. Before all the pain and loss...

I did notice that the dialogue between all of them reminded me more of how they acted towards each other at the end of the series. Wizard and Glass was a long time ago and I don't feel like King totally recaptured the dynamic of the relationship when it was still so new.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

John F. Kennedy Forge of the King is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by woodpryan View Post
    I just finished reading The Wind Through The Keyhole. I have mixed feelings about it, but here are my thoughts.

Overall, I enjoyed the story. If I were to rank it against the other Dark Tower books, I would put in that list at number five, right after The Wastelands, and right before the last three books (Song of Susannah being last). It felt very Wizard and Glass (which is a good thing, that being my favorite Dark Tower book), but it also felt a little bit rushed at some points. It does not move the story of the Dark Tower along in any way, but it was certainly an enjoyable read. I felt that the last page gives away too much for readers who are going through the series for the first time, but not really a big deal.

For the first half of the book, I was reading the Grant limited Artist edition, and I loved the feel of the thick paper, the illustrations throughout, and the excellent type font that they used.

For the last half of the book, I read the first Scribner edition. I hated the font, the paper felt cheap in my hands, the binding felt cheap, the cover even felt cheap. I couldn't stand the actual book itself, without the illustrations that every single other Dark Tower book has had. If you haven't picked it up, I would highly recommend getting a limited edition from Grant before they are all gone. It is very well worth the price, and I personally feel that the reading experience is better just holding that book that is so much more well made than the Scribner edition (which is NOT worth 27 bucks).
    Anyway, good story. Good read. Go get it if you haven't yet.
    If you have finished it, what did you think?
    I agree with some of your points and disagree with others (and some I can't even comment on because I don't own the limited edition from Grant).

I personally really enjoyed the Scribner book, and read it in one sitting, which didn't take too long (sadly ... I wish it was longer). I agree with you that it was a lot like Wizard and Glass and didn't move the main story along too much because it was mostly focused on backstory. Both in (prior) agreement and (current) disagreement, Wizard and Glass had been my favorite Dark Tower novel of all ... until I read The Wind Through the Keyhole, which then became my favorite Dark Tower novel. I personally feel that, as far as the Dark Tower series goes, Stephen King's writing has gotten progressively better over time. I can't comment, however, on any other very recent King novels, because I haven't read any yet, so I'm not sure if his writing has improved entirely.

As for the quality of the book, aesthetically, I didn't even think about the quality of the paper it was written on or the lack of illustrations, though I truly enjoyed the cover art (of the boy in the forest with the tiger and the crocodiles and ... well I won't ruin what else is hiding in the cover so as not to give away any of the book). I feel that it's what is written IN the book that matters, not what paper it's written on.

Also, I got the Scribner version for 17 dollars at a supermarket, so it wasn't that bad.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Random321321 View Post
    I think it's kind of cheap to retcon the idea that Roland's mother forgave him in advance for killing her, and even worse: he knew it all along. I think that seriously undercuts the tragedy and pathos of the event.
    This, absolutely. I still can say that I liked the book, but it has nothing to do with TDT. It's a nice, easy read, some parts in the middle are really very good, the rest is quite enjoyable. But the Roland we see there is not the Roland we know, grieving and unforgiven, forever heartbroken, only the healing force of the new ka-tet able to do something about the abyss that is his soul.

Yes, and the whole Tyger thing is preposterous from any point of view.

RF is awesome, however, as good as in The Stand, and the Daria part is marvelous.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm wondering, does the title owe any inspiration to The Wind in the Willows?

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved this book.
    I seriously loved it. I hope that Kings rights more of these interwoven tales that are nice additions to the already finished saga. I really enjoyed the entire book and would totaly reccomend it as a stand alone story as well.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished listening to the audiobook TWTTK. I had read it just after release, but didn't notice this before. It is mentioned that the Lion is named Aslan, which is the name of the Great Lion in C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia series.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3