Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: General Wind Through The Keyhole

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

Default General Wind Through The Keyhole

I just finished reading The Wind Through The Keyhole. I have mixed feelings about it, but here are my thoughts.

Overall, I enjoyed the story. If I were to rank it against the other Dark Tower books, I would put in that list at number five, right after The Wastelands, and right before the last three books (Song of Susannah being last). It felt very Wizard and Glass (which is a good thing, that being my favorite Dark Tower book), but it also felt a little bit rushed at some points. It does not move the story of the Dark Tower along in any way, but it was certainly an enjoyable read. I felt that the last page gives away too much for readers who are going through the series for the first time, but not really a big deal.

For the first half of the book, I was reading the Grant limited Artist edition, and I loved the feel of the thick paper, the illustrations throughout, and the excellent type font that they used.

For the last half of the book, I read the first Scribner edition. I hated the font, the paper felt cheap in my hands, the binding felt cheap, the cover even felt cheap. I couldn't stand the actual book itself, without the illustrations that every single other Dark Tower book has had. If you haven't picked it up, I would highly recommend getting a limited edition from Grant before they are all gone. It is very well worth the price, and I personally feel that the reading experience is better just holding that book that is so much more well made than the Scribner edition (which is NOT worth 27 bucks).
    Anyway, good story. Good read. Go get it if you haven't yet.
    If you have finished it, what did you think?
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't finished yet, but I am reading a "Reading copy" of the Scribner edition and know what you mean. The quality is in the Grant edition and not the Scribner, but that is cool by me. In a "reading Copy" am I looking for the content. In a collectible copy I am looking for quality. That's just me. I have never read any of my "collectibles", my OCD in force!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler Lady Santos will become famous soon enough Lady Santos's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed Wind, good story and well worth it. I really enjoyed the story within a story element. I would probably rank it #5 on my list as well. Theere were a couple things that bugged me about it, the main one (and it's a small thing really, just a personal preference type thing) is that Roland told the story of the skin man in first person, and I'm used to and prefer the third person. For some reason the way of telling it did not transport me and immerse me as much as Wizard and Glass, which had a similar set-up. There are also a couple of questionable concurrency issues dealing with our pal the ol' Crimson King, and just some non-Rolandisms that occur, but I'll save discussing those for when there's a spoiler thread up Overall though, I did enjoy going back to Gilead for awhile, I don't see how anyone couldn't.
    "I was thinking about Isis, and how she thought I was so reckless."-Isis, Bob Dylan

"Versifying Robin Hoods, stealing from the wealth of our poverty to feed our spirits"-Alan Kaufman, on modern Outlaw poets

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Santos View Post
    I enjoyed Wind, good story and well worth it. I really enjoyed the story within a story element. I would probably rank it #5 on my list as well. Theere were a couple things that bugged me about it, the main one (and it's a small thing really, just a personal preference type thing) is that Roland told the story of the skin man in first person, and I'm used to and prefer the third person. For some reason the way of telling it did not transport me and immerse me as much as Wizard and Glass, which had a similar set-up. There are also a couple of questionable concurrency issues dealing with our pal the ol' Crimson King, and just some non-Rolandisms that occur, but I'll save discussing those for when there's a spoiler thread up Overall though, I did enjoy going back to Gilead for awhile, I don't see how anyone couldn't.

I agree with the 1st person telling of the skin man portion. It did not sound like Roland's tale from Wizard, and it wasn't the same feeling to me.

I did not love this story. It's okay. I didn't dislike it, but imo it's not as good as any of the other DT books. I'd rank it as dead last. IMO it doesn't really give us any new insight on the quest for the tower, and as a story about Roland's past it was pretty lame. And frankly it doesn't add to the DT mythos at all. Had I never read it, had it never been written, it would change nothing in the series.

I'd rather hear about the battles with Farson or what happened to Roland's dad, or even Jericho Hill. Something with meat on it. This just didn't live up to the rest of the books for me.

Oh, god. I would have loved to hear about the battle of Jerico Hill. That is something I've wanted to read for a really long fucking time.
    But, really, I enjoyed this story. It's point wasn't to move the quest for the Dark Tower along. I mean, it was set in Roland's world. But, really, it's just a story. The story was enjoyable. And, in the end, that's all that really matters.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by woodpryan View Post
    Oh, god. I would have loved to hear about the battle of Jerico Hill. That is something I've wanted to read for a really long fucking time.
    But, really, I enjoyed this story. It's point wasn't to move the quest for the Dark Tower along. I mean, it was set in Roland's world. But, really, it's just a story. The story was enjoyable. And, in the end, that's all that really matters.
    Didn't Furth cover Jericho Hill in the comics? That's probably why he would stay away from it.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler justinhp is on a distinguished road

Just finished it and absolutely loved it. Magical, enchanting and gripping. TWTTK contains so much Mid-World back story that it stands in its own right. I'd put it at No. 3 behind The Gunslinger and Wizard and Glass.
    A beautiful book - vintage King.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Didn't Furth cover Jericho Hill in the comics? That's probably why he would stay away from it.
    I really don't care that it was covered in the comics. I'm not a comic reader, and the comic series is nothing compared to the reading experience. I want my damn Jerrico Hill.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I really don't care that it was covered in the comics. I'm not a comic reader, and the comic series is nothing compared to the reading experience. I want my damn Jerrico Hill.
    Well, that may be true for you, but I was just pointing out that you will most likely never get it. He let Furth and Marvel have it. Professional courtesy and (more than likely) contractual issues will no doubt prevent him from ever dealing with the story in a novel or short story IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Along the Path of the Beam tumbleweed will become famous soon enough tumbleweed will become famous soon enough tumbleweed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Skimming past everyone else's reviews... just wanted to say, I just started it on Friday... haven't finished it yet, but I am annoyed by the element of story, within a story, within a story...
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." -- George Washington

John F. Kennedy Random321321 is on a distinguished road

Am I the only one annoyed when King makes up some big new concept, playing a central role in the plot, that is nowhere mentioned in previous books? In this one it was the "starkblast", in Wolves it was "todash", he tried to retcon The Gunslinger and claim that Roland went "todash" during his palaver with MiB, but he never used that word until very late in the series.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have the feeling that the starkblast is a very, very rare occurrence.

John

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I got the same impression, John.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Yup.

Traveler Lady Santos will become famous soon enough Lady Santos's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes! Jerico Hill, please!
    "I was thinking about Isis, and how she thought I was so reckless."-Isis, Bob Dylan

"Versifying Robin Hoods, stealing from the wealth of our poverty to feed our spirits"-Alan Kaufman, on modern Outlaw poets

I think Jericho Hill has been built up too much. It was just a battle, I see no reason why we need to hear about it in detail.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I feel the same way, Random.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I have the feeling that the starkblast is a very, very rare occurrence.

John
    Yeah, but, he didn't exactly say that. There's a whole thing with billy-bumblers sensing them coming, and if they were really that rare I doubt that A. billy-bumblers would actually be able to do it (no evolutionary imperative), and B. anyone would know about billy-bumbler predicting methods, not having observed it enough times to notice the pattern. Also, if starkblasts are really so incredibly rare, then shouldn't someone have mentioned that they lived through one like EVER during books 5-7?

Traveler cupofcoffee is on a distinguished road cupofcoffee's Avatar

Overall I loved Wind Through the Keyhole, but I do agree that parts of it felt rushed. I liked that the book was the most compact story Dark Tower story since Drawing of the Three—I just wish the Skin-Man thing hadn't left me so underwhelmed. I spent the "Wind Through the Keyhole" portion of the book assuming the "Skin-Man Part 2" part would have some kind of interesting twist, but it turned out to be really straight-forward and anticlimactic. That last sentence ("Oh yeah, and Jamie left his virginity behind that night") was a perfect bit of inadvertent comedy. It summarized the whole "Skin-Man Part 2" section for me. A complete Oh Yeah, And.

But, like I said, overall I really liked it. It was exactly what I hoped it would be: an exploration of a previously unrevealed corner of Mid-World. I'd much rather read that, go down some dark alley and find interesting new things, than read a novelization of Stephen King getting up on a stool and just answering questions about what actually happened with Roland's father or the Battle of Jericho Hill. I didn't even mind the starkblast gimmick or the goofy plot hole with the Covenant Man's true identity. Although I'm not sure where I'd rank it, I was perfectly happy with what it was, and I'm sure it'll be getting multiple re-reads.

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished reading TWTTKH and I loved it! It was nice to taken back to Roland's world Mid-World, learning a little more about his father/mother. Love the skin-man story and the wind through the keyhole story. Now why would Gabrielle tell that type of story for a bedtime story is scary lol. I especially love how the how Roland dealt with the guilt of killing his mother, reading the last words Gabrielle left for him to forgiving himself. Good stuff!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Santos View Post

I agree with the 1st person telling of the skin man portion. It did not sound like Roland's tale from Wizard, and it wasn't the same feeling to me.

I did not love this story. It's okay. I didn't dislike it, but imo it's not as good as any of the other DT books. I'd rank it as dead last. IMO it doesn't really give us any new insight on the quest for the tower, and as a story about Roland's past it was pretty lame. And frankly it doesn't add to the DT mythos at all. Had I never read it, had it never been written, it would change nothing in the series.

I'd rather hear about the battles with Farson or what happened to Roland's dad, or even Jericho Hill. Something with meat on it. This just didn't live up to the rest of the books for me.
    Hello, my long lost twin brother.

I devoured the book in a day and when I put it down, I was left feeling empty. It didn't feel and read like a DT story at all. It felt like King sat down and wrote it one sitting. Oh well.

edit: the only part that got to me emotionally was his mother's letter to him and King's little note about forgiveness at the back

Citizen of Gilead LostAlivE will become famous soon enough LostAlivE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a question concerning the DJ for the US trade edition.
    What is the light in the woods it is just above the lantern Tim is holding?
    Is it suppose to represent the fire of the mud people?

Along the Path of the Beam tumbleweed will become famous soon enough tumbleweed will become famous soon enough tumbleweed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked the hopefulness of the story... I've finished it now. I also appreciated some added mysticism...
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." -- George Washington

I think it's kind of cheap to retcon the idea that Roland's mother forgave him in advance for killing her, and even worse: he knew it all along. I think that seriously undercuts the tragedy and pathos of the event.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the story, backstory is always my favorite part of a book series, which is why W & G is my favorite. That said, I didnt like the story within a story within a story aspect and felt like the transitions between the two substories were abrasive and disconected. I also didnt buy the whole Maerlyn episode, it felt contrived and hokey. I did very much enjoy the fleshing out of the RF/MB/CM character, and I loved the sequence of Tim's journey through the Endless Forest. It felt like the skin-man parts were unimportant to the story and did not belong in the same book. I enjoyed reading them, I was just confused as to why they were there in the first place, especially leaving the skin man story and returning to it at the end. I realize that Roland was telling Eddie, Susanne, and Jake a story about him telling a story to young Billy, but that was the only connection. It would have been a better novel IMHO if he had chosen either the skin man or the starkblast and wrote the entire novel about that.

That all said, one final note. If this novel had come out after wizards and glass, I might have given up on the series completely. Although I loved W and G, after the horrendously long wait after Wastlelands for it to come out, leaving me stuck on a suicidal monorail, (those of you chillins that got to read them all at once don't get to speak) only to discover that, although beautifully written and a wonderful story, it did not move the central story containing our Ka-tet much. That volume could be forgiven if not embrace because I find backstory to be an essential element. However, if this story had come out when Wolves of Calla did after another terribly long wait, and still didnt further the original story, I would have shelved it in disgust.
    Sloth Love Chunk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast