Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starkblast and tornadoes

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

Default Starkblast and tornadoes

I've been reading The Wind Through The Keyhole for a while now (I started reading the artist edition a couple of months ago, and picked up a designated reading copy today) and I've been thinking about the Starkblast. On page 220 of the Scribner edition, King describes a funnel, and I, as an Alabama resident, am immediately reminded of a tornado. This has much to do with the fact that my state was devastated by tornadoes last year (on April 27th) by more than 100 tornadoes in which more than 250 people lost their lives. I wondered how many of you imagine the Starkblast as a tornado? And, do you think King may have been inspired by the day of April 27th, 2011? The Starkblast comes when cool and warm weather meet, and it makes sense to me, with this and the description of the funnel, that the Starkblast is some form of a tornado. What do you guys think?
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I thought of it more like a freezing hurricane. Tornadoes generally come out of nowhere, strike and leave with little warning, whereas hurricanes can take days to arrive, giving you some time to prepare for them, as was the case with a starkblast.

King wrote the section about the starkblast months before April 2011.

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

Ah, yes. That makes sense. I guess tornado was just my first thought because of where I live. I imagined a MASSIVE tornado that's followed by intense cold. But, yeah, I think hurricane makes more sense. Thanks.

Ryan
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Bev. I've always pictured a starkblast as a freezing hurricane, though in a much more concentrated area. The entire concept, though, of the abnormal warmth before the storm hits intrigues me.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Nope, I pictured it as a tornado. I do believe he even mentions a 'funnel' in there somewhere in describing it.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hurricanes are funnels too.

When I think of a supersized superpowerful hurricane with arctic temperatures.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Hurricanes are funnels too.

When I think of a supersized superpowerful hurricane with arctic temperatures.
    Yes. Actually all winds are, it's just a tornado's funnel is particularly tight and thus viewable, while hurricanes/gales are wide.

John F. Kennedy Silvermoth is on a distinguished road Silvermoth's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I imagined it as a hurricane.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I imagined it as a huge WALL of wind, blowing in one direction, super strong and for a really long time. I wonder if there's an SK FAQ somewhere where he answers the question.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I imagined it as a huge, super cold front that moves in deadly fast, like in Day After Tomorrow. Tornadoes never even crossed my mind.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

At one point in Wind, King describes how the "funnel" is starting to form.

John

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    I imagined it as a huge, super cold front that moves in deadly fast, like in Day After Tomorrow. Tornadoes never even crossed my mind.
    This is how I imagined it too. Tornado seemed too insignifcant.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

John F. Kennedy Ross will become famous soon enough

There was a movie a few years ago "Day After Tomorrow" with Toby Maguire I believe. End of the world kind of movie where there is another ice age. When they are in New York and everything starts to freeze suddenly. Then at a point they are in the eye of the storm and things start freezing solid within seconds. People actually freeze instantly. For some reason while i was reading Roland's description of the Starkblast after they meet Bix, this is what I thought of..

+ Reply to Thread