Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Neil Gaiman interviews Stephen King

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A few websites are mentionning that King is rewriting The Dark Tower, in order to delete himself from the books.
    They mention Neil Gaiman's essay as the source.

"His next book, The Wind Through the Keyhole, is a Dark Tower novel, part of a sequence that King plotted and began when he was little more than a teenager. He only finished it spurred on by his assistants, Marsha & Julie, who were tired of fielding fan letters asking when it would be completed. Stephen King is a character in the fifth and sixth Dark Tower books, and Stephen is wondering whether to take him out of the next draft."
    What do you think of that?
    I remember reading couple of years ago (?) that he was considering rewriting the whole saga, in order to make an even bigger saga..
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I highly doubt this happens.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I hope you're right. Rewriting the first book was bad enough.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

I like the revised Gunslinger but would hate for King to edit himself out of the series. It won't happen.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hasn't he spoke of editing/revising the other books before? Like back when he revised the gunslinger?

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Hasn't he spoke of editing/revising the other books before? Like back when he revised the gunslinger?
    Yes. It was his plan to go through the whole lot. (The earlier issues anyway.) I figured that had fallen by the wayside, but seeing that article makes me wonder if it's still on his mind.

I'm undecided if that's a good idea or not. I am curious to know what the DT story would have been like without King as a character* but another part of me thinks, "it's written, so let it stand". I don't mind if he sorts out continuity errors though.

*Maybe I should spoilerize that, but since other people haven't bothered... As for my own feelings on the subject, I thought it interesting at the time, but I'll admit, I'm not really a fan of actors appearing in their own books.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm fine with him rewriting them if he likes. Kinda' like I view the revised gunslinger like I view a remake of a classic movie (that didn't need remaking). I'll probably view anything else he rewrites the same.

If you rescue me

Gunslinger Apprentice Shadow is on a distinguished road Shadow's Avatar

My Mood
    Goofy

Nice thread

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Unabridged version of the text :
    http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2012/0...interview.html

Now he's finished the story he is trying to decide how much he can rewrite it, if he views the sequence as one very long novel. Can he do a second draft? He hopes so. Currently, Stephen King is a character in the fifth and sixth Dark Tower books, and Stephen King the non-fictional author is wondering whether to take him out on the next draft.
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

Hope he don't erase himself from the novels...leave the books alone.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

SK can certainly do as he pleases but personally I would prefer he invest his writing time in new projects or even trunk novels vs. rewriting previously published material.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I wholeheartedly agree! Actually I'll just go ahead and say I do not want a rewrite at all.

If you rescue me

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I also agree. Or if he wants to rewrite books, he can start with those that haven't seen the light yet
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler alert for the person who hasn't read the DT series,
    Dark Tower Spoiler

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I mentioned earlier that I'm curious as to what the series would be like without King as a character*, although I'm largely in the 'leave it as it is' camp.

One thing I am curious about though. Assuming that article is right and King is considering not including himself in rewrites, why is he considering this? Does he feel maybe it was too self -indulgent**, i.e. maybe something that he needed to do at the time, but now he's a lot better health wise (bearing in mind he was in some pain from the accident when writing the last three books) he'd like to take it down a different route.

* My feelings on those scenes were mixed. They were interesting scenes, though to be sure.

** I don't say this to criticize King, It's just something I've read others state when he decided to include himself as a character in a Story. I'm not sure I agree, but I can see why they came to that explanation.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, when we've all been on tenterhooks for T3 for years, rewrites are surely not a priority?!

Gunslinger Apprentice Tik will become famous soon enough Tik's Avatar

The series at this point doesn't need extensive rewrites, only minor tweeking (exchanging the word "Beast" for "The Crimson King" in book 3 for example) which I'd be happy for him to do. Maybe take out or completely rewrite the arguments in books 2 to 5 too. But I dont think he should take himself out of the novels. For one thing, that would change the series completely. For another, it's one of the reasons I love the series.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Is this interview any different in CD magazine #67?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

At first glance-no.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Darn. Thanks for the info.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2