Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Joyland-Collecting Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    Ok now break down the $1400 difference between the lettered and numbered dark man books...that $125 tray case seems like a bargain
    I know, I know - there's a lot of production value difference between the two, just saying (plus the original artwork in the dark man lettered, etc.)
    Well, if you break down the value per word like some people were doing today, it's even more... shocking! But hopefully the collectors who bought those editions of The Dark Man will be pleased with how we've put those words and that artwork together!

Just like I hope every collector who bought Joyland -- which includes me -- is pleased with how that edition comes together!

What can I say... I love special books published by people who love creating special books.

I also really dig people who collect books, which is one of my favorite things about this board.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I mentioned elsewhere that Lilja posted the news in The Oracle on TDT.org (as good a place as any, except that most people interested in these editions were not likely to read it) and I simply relayed it to The Corner, where the collectors dwell. This was the link to the (default) UK site. I do think I alerted The Corner pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I guess I am not sure what to do because the book appears to be a joint venture with Hard Case, and also because there is no hardcover 1st edition in the US.
    That's an interesting question.

Charles Ardai of Hard Case Crime is based in New York. HCC is distributed by the Titan Publishing Group, which is based out of London. But the Titan Publishing Group is distributed in the US by Random House. I wonder where they're having the books printed...

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    Ok now break down the $1400 difference between the lettered and numbered dark man books...that $125 tray case seems like a bargain
    I know, I know - there's a lot of production value difference between the two, just saying (plus the original artwork in the dark man lettered, etc.)
    Well, if you break down the value per word like some people were doing today, it's even more... shocking! But hopefully the collectors who bought those editions of The Dark Man will be pleased with how we've put those words and that artwork together!

Just like I hope every collector who bought Joyland -- which includes me -- is pleased with how that edition comes together!

What can I say... I love special books published by people who love creating special books.

I also really dig people who collect books, which is one of my favorite things about this board.

Brian
    Hey Brian, I am interested in the process that goes into the production of the books as well as reading them, on a project like The Dark Man did you and Glenn both have equal input on the design and layout, Does Mr. King give much input beyond the ok to do the Project, how did the input levels and interactions on the "odd projects" compare to those on a new novel?

Ken

Country
    Country Flag

I guess I am not sure what to do because the book appears to be a joint venture with Hard Case, and also because there is no hardcover 1st edition in the US.
    That's an interesting question.

Charles Ardai of Hard Case Crime is based in New York. HCC is distributed by the Titan Publishing Group, which is based out of London. But the Titan Publishing Group is distributed in the US by Random House. I wonder where they're having the books printed...

Brian
    Is the actual printing location usually on the copyright page or is that only some of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post
    Hey Brian, I am interested in the process that goes into the production of the books as well as reading them, on a project like The Dark Man did you and Glenn both have equal input on the design and layout, Does Mr. King give much input beyond the ok to do the Project, how did the input levels and interactions on the "odd projects" compare to those on a new novel?

Ken
    The short version, as I end my 20 hour day, is:

King approves the general ideas, core concepts, artists, etc.

For The Dark Man, starting back in January, Glenn went nuts on the artwork with a little bit of direction from us based on what we were hoping to do with the book. He also filled in a few gaps during the design phase. (The very last pieces, which I love but will save as a little surprise for when folks read the book, arrived over this past weekend.)

Kate handles all of the design based on ideas and concepts from our production meetings. In this case, there was a very specific rhythm to the poem that we wanted to convey as Glenn's artwork turned it into a kind of mixed media story.

King sees sketches and receives updates at all stages of the process and he gets final approval over everything.

(Sorry, I know this got off the topic of Joyland!)

Brian

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post

Ken
    The short version, as I end my 20 hour day, is:

King approves the general ideas, core concepts, artists, etc.

For The Dark Man, starting back in January, Glenn went nuts on the artwork with a little bit of direction from us based on what we were hoping to do with the book. He also filled in a few gaps during the design phase. (The very last pieces, which I love but will save as a little surprise for when folks read the book, arrived over this past weekend.)

Kate handles all of the design based on ideas and concepts from our production meetings. In this case, there was a very specific rhythm to the poem that we wanted to convey as Glenn's artwork turned it into a kind of mixed media story.

King sees sketches and receives updates at all stages of the process and he gets final approval over everything.

(Sorry, I know this got off the topic of Joyland!)

Brian
    I apologize too for taking it off topic, the response to the above comment made me think of the question?

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Brian. Now go home.

Tippy: not sure how you prioritise your collecting, but to me, the unsigned edition of Joyland would still be a must, as the only hardback edition.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hard Case is published by Titan, so it's really the hardcover edition of the mass-market paperback.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CurtSeattle View Post
    What are dimensions of book? What inner size should slipcase be I guess I'm wondering for a perfect fit a room for a brodart if necessary I guess.
    8.5"h by 5.5"w

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

From what I have read, the only difference between the $200 lettered and $75 numbered is the traycase......(and of course the lettered is lettered A-Z, and the numbered is numbered 1-724).

If it is...at $125, that is one expensive traycase.
    I think this is pretty good value, only 26 lettered available. Which if led to believe is right, do not usually or rarely sell on the second market above retail (on the higher value ones any way). I bet this one does as its starting at a much lower place. (I'm no expert though, just thoughts on this)

I'd share the difference in value between the letter itself and the Traycase.
    Nobody likes a clown at midnight

Gunslinger Apprentice Jud Crandall will become famous soon enough Jud Crandall will become famous soon enough Jud Crandall's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Oh man! I just got back from a long trip, to see this and CDs The Dark Man! Would some awesome person be willing to sell a Signed/Numbered edition to me at/around the issue price? Plus shipping, of course.

Not good timing on my part. Arglebargle!

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The Collector (aka Tomas) may be looking to do a slipcase for this, so keep en eye on his site if you're interested in one...

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

The unsigned edition is now sold out on Forbidden Planet. According to the dust jacket, the publisher of this book is Hard Case Crime. Given that the book costs more in the UK than in the US (i.e., $75 will be the cover price) and the fact that the US got a larger allotment of books, I think this will be an American edition, and the difference between $75 and 56 pounds is the cost of shipping the books to the UK.

I think it's funny how everybody has different standards for what they collect. I don't have any particular interest in this book, but at $75 I don't think you can go wrong (and maybe I'll have a chance to trade it for something a little more desirable.)

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Chad and Michael seriously rock !!!!!
    We all float down here!

Gunslinger Apprentice BigCoffinHunter is on a distinguished road BigCoffinHunter's Avatar

I really wouldn't complain given how inexpensive this edition was, but I do hope that the production values aren't too cheesy...
    "Smile... It is a fine day..."

Citizen of Gilead ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light

Country
    Country Flag

I'm still waiting to see if my credit card is being charged for the S/L of this one. It shows posted but hasn't gone through yet...........still hoping.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The first two signed/numbered editions appeared on eBay, with hefty BIN prices:

$300

$335

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ajw2910 View Post
    I'm still waiting to see if my credit card is being charged for the S/L of this one. It shows posted but hasn't gone through yet...........still hoping.
    Same here. I got a confirmation email, the credit card charge is posted but still pending, so it's all good...? The ordering site didn't exactly inspire confidence.

UPDATE: Took about two days, but the charge has gone through. Hopefully around this time next month, we'll all have these in hand.

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

My Visa shows a charge. Less than a hundred bucks with shipping to Canada. Incredible.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

My CC charge has gone through, too.

Citizen of Gilead Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine has gone through but is more than I expected. I got a Signed and unsigned which should have came to $115 and shipping was $26 yet they have charged $167 ?? Huh??

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I received the confirmation about 6 mins after ordering (from NSFS wherever they are based), and the money was requested immediately, as the balance showed a difference. Checking my account today the transaction is also listed rather than just posted.

This was all just before the news of the us site was made public.

This was for the lettered so should I stop worrying that its going to be cancelled yet?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Readman View Post
    Mine has gone through but is more than I expected. I got a Signed and unsigned which should have came to $115 and shipping was $26 yet they have charged $167 ?? Huh??

I have been charged shipping per book, looks like that has happened to you too.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I received a call from NSFS Magazine and they asked if I had intended to order two copies of the S/L and I said yes. She said ok and confirmed I have two copies coming.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast