Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiobooks. What are you listening to?

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gotta copy of Ready Player One on cd that I was encouraged to listen to because so many of you seem to like it. Done now, and looking to sell. Anyone interested? $25 including shipping.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

BOLD by Peter Diamandis. I would recommend it to all entrepreneurial-minded folks out there.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Listening to The Border by Mccammon. I'm about 25% in and it's pretty much a downer. Good but depressing so far. I like the narrator though, I think he read Horns.

Listening to Blue World in the car and Bronson Pinchot is great, the other guy is good but he makes me nervous when he reads, like he's gasping the words.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Just finished Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It was pretty good, a little "explain-y" there in the middle and the movies' endings are way better. Good narrator and a nice interview with the '50's movie producer's son at the end.

Re-Listening to my favorite Palahniuk book Rant in the car. Such a great experience listening to this one. Great cast reading if you never listened to it, George Guidall does one of the voices too!

Started Haunting of Hill House at work, listened to Hell House last year so I figured I would listen to this one to see which is better and how they differ, I always am confused by the similarities.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    Re-Listening to my favorite Palahniuk book Rant in the car. Such a great experience listening to this one. Great cast reading if you never listened to it, George Guidall does one of the voices too!
    Didn't realize George was in the cast. Yes, pretty great audiobook that exceeds the experience of reading it yourself.

My wife has us listening to Chomp by Carl Hiaasen read by James Van Der Beek. It's short and entertaining. Kinda slapstick.

And then Dreams Underfoot by Charles De Lint which are a bunch of connected stories, at least that's what I think they are.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

I finished The Haunting of Hill House and it was excellent. Steve probably would have done more research but I disagree that the house isn't actually haunted, I might have to re-read to look at it from that POV. I'm gonna check out The Lottery short story book next month.

Listening to Winter Haunting in the car, Bronson Pinchot again, he's doing a great job. I like the book so far, dog with human teeth is a pretty crazy image.

Listening to Gone South at work...I don't know about this one so far. Odd tone with serious and goofy. I haven't read a McCammon book I didn't like so I'll stick with it but begrudgingly.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Summer Of Night read by Dan John Miller. I like his understated style.

Yes, that was a good reading. Winter Haunting is pretty awesome too.

Listening to The Lottery and other stories by Shirley Jackson. I'm on the third story and she really likes writing about crazy people! There are 3 narrators must of which have done lots of genre books. I think the Matheson compilations. They are all great.

We listened to the World War Z unabridged the other day. Great stuff. I know there was some confusion with this edition but I don't think anything was cut out or revised that I noticed but it had been a couple years since I read it.
    The interview style did wear on me after awhile, But it was a long car ride.
    Highly recommended.

I was scolded into listening to Mr. Mercedes by an SK fan friend. I really dislike detective and cop stories so it was a hard sell for me but it's still Steve and he is genius so I relented. It's good, I look forward to listening till the end but sometimes feel like I should be listening to The Passage or re-listening to Skeleton Crew instead. haha

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I listened to the audiobook of both Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers for that same exact reason. They're not my type of story so I knew I'd never physically read them. Wasn't really a fan of either so I doubt I'll listen to the last one.

Recently listened to the audiobook of 11/22/63. I read the book when it first was released, and I needed to re-read it for a book club coming up later this month, so thought I'd give the audiobook a listen instead. The narrator was wonderful, and I enjoyed it as much as the first time I read it. Really great book.

Also listened to the audiobook of The Body recently as well, which turns out was narrated by Frank Muller.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Will Patton was insanely good reading Mr. Mercedes, even doing the "phone voice" he was awesome. I feel like I should power through these books since I don;t really care either.

Listening to Norm Macdonald's book. It's Norm in book form. So there you go.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Will Patton was insanely good reading Mr. Mercedes, even doing the "phone voice" he was awesome. I feel like I should power through these books since I don;t really care either.

I've really enjoyed Patton's readings as well.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

I started The Terror by Dan Simmons. This was really hard to find a physical unabridged version, I think they only sell the abridged version. This is a library copy so hoepefully it doesn't skip on the last disc!

It's pretty good so far. Narrator is great though.

The Terror was pretty good, a little like The Ruins where its just a slow death march for everyone. I'm not into historical fiction and this didn't convert me.

Listening to Paul Tremblay's Head Full of Ghosts, which is ok I guess. The narrarater is kind of annoying, she tries too hard and her "Dad" voice is like that girl in Just One of the Guys baritone "You look so nice today". The there's this blog girl writing about things, and she's a snarky pseudo-intellectual. That's annoying as well.
    I heard good things about this book so I'll keep at it but not blowing me away 3 discs in.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I loved both of those books. Although I did read them vs listening to the audiobook. I'd recommend trying to read A Head Full of Ghosts instead. There's nothing worse that a horrible narrator. I think that can bring the story down a bit. I just started listening to the audiobook of Doctor Sleep. I need to re-read it for a book club and I know I won't have time to read it again, so decided to give it a listen this time but I'm not huge on the narrator for it. I believe it's the same one that did the Mr. Mercedes books, which I thought he was good for those. Maybe because he has the voice of a hard boiled detective. But for Danny Torrance it doesn't work as well. He's not horrible but he definitely wouldn't be my number one pick for this book. At least I'm familiar with the story so it hopefully won't ruin it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I loved both of those books. Although I did read them vs listening to the audiobook. I'd recommend trying to read A Head Full of Ghosts instead. There's nothing worse that a horrible narrator. I think that can bring the story down a bit. I just started listening to the audiobook of Doctor Sleep. I need to re-read it for a book club and I know I won't have time to read it again, so decided to give it a listen this time but I'm not huge on the narrator for it. I believe it's the same one that did the Mr. Mercedes books, which I thought he was good for those. Maybe because he has the voice of a hard boiled detective. But for Danny Torrance it doesn't work as well. He's not horrible but he definitely wouldn't be my number one pick for this book. At least I'm familiar with the story so it hopefully won't ruin it for me.
    I agree with you, he was great for Bill Hodges and less so for Danny.
    If there's an audio version of the book I want to read I usually buy it, can't beat a good audio book. I got my buddy to buy the book maybe I'll borrow his.

Yeah I've been on a huge audiobook kick lately. I usually borrow them from the library, directly to my phone. They're perfect for my long commute to work and then I can listen while at work for the day too.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post

My wife had listened to the first two books and when she tried reading the third, she couldn't focus. Patton is Hodges to her. Pretty cool.

When someone asks for an audio book recommendations, my go-to books are the Dune and Hyperion series. Incredibly well done.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post

My wife had listened to the first two books and when she tried reading the third, she couldn't focus. Patton is Hodges to her. Pretty cool.

When someone asks for an audio book recommendations, my go-to books are the Dune and Hyperion series. Incredibly well done.
    Nice I enjoy that story. I feel Guidall IS Father Callahan and Muller IS Roland.

My go to is Memory of Running bc I know a lot of non-scifi and non-horror readers
    Or On Writing bc thta ones my favorite.

I'm actually listening to Dune at work and it's a great production. But even though I've seen the movie a couple times and the mini series multiple times I still get confused and my attention wanders. There is a ton of stuff going on in that book.

I really want to listen to the cast reading of American Gods they released a couple years ago (only digitally though, booo). Has anyone listened to that?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah, Dune is not easy listening. I tried listening to it while running and it was too much.

Branson Pinchot is a great narrator too. He's done work for Koontz and Powers.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Oh yeah, Dune is not easy listening. I tried listening to it while running and it was too much.
    I used to listen to audiobooks while I ran. They didn't mess with my pace the way music would. Complex reading didn't work so well though.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I havent listened to Dune, but the Hyperion series is fantastic!

I feel Guidall IS Father Callahan and Muller IS Roland.
    I completely agree!

I really want to listen to the cast reading of American Gods they released a couple years ago (only digitally though, booo). Has anyone listened to that?
    I havent, but I would love to.

I liked Pinchot doing Eyes of the Dragon a lot but hated him doing the Other Kingdoms.
    Weird.

You can get the 4 Hyperion books for $24 on Brillance
    https://www.audiobookstand.com/Authors/Dan%20Simmons#/

Did anyone listen to JJ Abrams' "S"? It's kind of difficult so I was wondering if it's worth the expirience.

Listened to Pines, great book. I'm waiting for my order of the next 2 to be delivered.
    Listening to American Gods cast reading, it's pretty great. I don't remember there being so much foreshadowing (ha!) in it.
    It's kind of like a who's who's in audiobook narration too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast