Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiobooks. What are you listening to?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for all the info, guys!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm listening to The Stand read by Grover Gardner, and it's really good. This is the first time I've listened to a really long book, so I was hesitant committing to buy and listen to it, even though the sample seemed fine. If it turned out the narrator sucked in the long run (like a few shorter books I've listened to), it would either be a total waste of money stopping, or worse, a tortuously long-ass listen. As it turns out, Gardner is pretty good. Not over-the-top, but not boring. Hits the sweet spot
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    I'm listening to The Stand read by Grover Gardner, and it's really good. This is the first time I've listened to a really long book, so I was hesitant committing to buy and listen to it, even though the sample seemed fine. If it turned out the narrator sucked in the long run (like a few shorter books I've listened to), it would either be a total waste of money stopping, or worse, a tortuously long-ass listen. As it turns out, Gardner is pretty good. Not over-the-top, but not boring. Hits the sweet spot
    Don't buy Under the Dome then, narrator is the worst.
    Gardner is pretty good. I think he did a lot of ray Bradbury short stories too.
    I am bummed there is no physical version of The Stand.
    How is the audio quality? The previews sound very low to me. This prevents listening in the car. I couldn't finish Carrie in the car bc Sissy Spacek's whispering couldn't be heard over the rumble of the highway.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

If anyone has interest in Vonnegut there are quite a few books for $4:

https://www.audiobookstand.com/Autho...t%20Vonnegut#/

I will say I would search out for Slaughter House 5 read by Ethan Hawke rather than buy this James franco reading bc Hawke was excellent.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I concur with the Ethan Hawke version. He did a great job.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    Gardner is pretty good. I think he did a lot of ray Bradbury short stories too.
    I am bummed there is no physical version of The Stand.
    How is the audio quality? The previews sound very low to me. This prevents listening in the car. I couldn't finish Carrie in the car bc Sissy Spacek's whispering couldn't be heard over the rumble of the highway.
    It seems good, I listen to it in the car on my phone. I put the phone in the visor strap and turn the speaker volume all the way up and have no problem hearing. My car is loud on the highway too.

I physically read Under the Dome once...no need to revisit it in any format
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

So was Steven Weber, the narrator for IT. His over the top style was like fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears.

I'm bummed that the reader for Usher's Passing is so bad. He is truly awful, doing voices and hamming it up. Just read the story man, this isn't a demo reel for you voice acting career. Scott Aiello is his name. Avoid the noid on that one.

Hopefully the Stinger reader is better, starting that one today.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Listened to Pet Semetary last week. I thought Micheal Hall did a good job.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I'm listening to The Outsider by Stephen King. Will Patton does a fine job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Was wondering about this. I'm always nervous when the reader is a known actor.
    The guy that reads Stinger is a known narrator, he's pretty good but he does the little girl alien like Mrs. Garrison from South Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Was wondering about this. I'm always nervous when the reader is a known actor.
    The guy that reads Stinger is a known narrator, he's pretty good but he does the little girl alien like Mrs. Garrison from South Park.
    Since I'm not familiar with Michael Hall as an actor I didn't have any preconceived notions about him as a narrator. For the most part he was understated and has a pleasant voice. I liked his take on Jud Crandall.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Recently finished Fahrenheit 451 and Rosemary's Baby. 451 was just ok for me while I loved the reading of Rosemary by Mia Farrow.

Spoiler alert for Rosemary:

Spoiler:
    I thought it pretty cliché that the baby ended up with claws, horns, and a tail. Because that won't stand out while trying to take over the world.

Listening to some Matheson shorts now.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Recently finished Fahrenheit 451 and Rosemary's Baby. 451 was just ok for me while I loved the reading of Rosemary by Mia Farrow.

Spoiler:
    I thought it pretty cliché that the baby ended up with claws, horns, and a tail. Because that won't stand out while trying to take over the world.

Who read 451, Tim Robbins? Rosemary's Baby was hard to listen to in the car bc of how soft her voice was, but she was great!

Ha! Nice. Agreed.

Re: Matheson: Is it the one Steve wrote a forward to or the Best Of? The Best of is not nearly as good as the other one but all the readers are good.

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:

Who read 451, Tim Robbins? Rosemary's Baby was hard to listen to in the car bc of how soft her voice was, but she was great!

Ha! Nice. Agreed.

Re: Matheson: Is it the one Steve wrote a forward to or the Best Of? The Best of is not nearly as good as the other one but all the readers are good.
    The one Steve wrote the forward to. Nightmare at 20,000 Feet is the name of the collection.

Love that collection. So many good stories in there.

Country
    Country Flag

Love that collection. So many good stories in there.
    It's been pretty hit and miss for me. Just about to wrap it up.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Just finished The Outsider on audio. No spoilers, but I think the first half was really strong, the third quarter was a bit saggy as the story went into a holding pattern, but then it picked up again for the finish.

Will Patton was a great narrator. I really enjoy his work on this and other King novels.

HBJ

Country
    Country Flag

I Am Legend. Hopefully it gets better.

I might have to stop listening to Pet Semetary it's really bumming me out. I haven't read it in 25 years, not sure if I finished it then either. Anthony Hall is pretty good though.
    Gonna switch it up with Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut.

Country
    Country Flag

I Am Legend. Hopefully it gets better.
    Finished this up last night. It got so much better near the end and is so much different from the movie. Next up is The Box.

I didn't understand I Am Legend, I had to wkipedia it. My brain tends to drift when science gets involved. Plus the movies get mixed up in there, I'm like wait was that in the Heston one?....then I'm lost.
    I was not a fan of The Box collection. That seemed like stretch.

Started Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut read by John Malkovich!
    It's a trip. Worth listening just to hear Malkovich explain the pictures that are in the book:
    "And underneath is 12 lines resembling a butthole"

Country
    Country Flag

I've put The Box on hold and started Gwendy's Button Box. I'm a fan of the actress reading it so enjoying it so far.

If anyone has the new Skeleton Crew they released last year can you please let me know if Steve's author's notes is on there?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast