Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiobooks. What are you listening to?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Currently listening to The Journal of Eleanor Druse. Bored to death with this one but just about finished. King didn't actually write this title, correct?
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. It was narrated by Tony Roberts, and I REALLY liked him. Of course, the story was just freaking weird, but that's Vonnegut.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Currently listening to The Journal of Eleanor Druse. Bored to death with this one but just about finished. King didn't actually write this title, correct?
    Correct, but I can't remember who the heck did write it. I didn't mind it though.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

While traveling this week listened to a few.
    LT's Theory on Pets is actually recording of Stephen King reading to an audience.
    I always enjoy his voice telling his tales. This one comes with some familiar stories he often tells at beginning of some live appearances.

Stationary Bike was fitting and funny in that it starts off with doctor reviewing standard blood test results which is something I am waiting to hear about from my Dr. this week. ALSO... laughed and thought about Tiipy4 when a certain specific writing instrument is mentioned.

UR very interesting so far.
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring
    will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot -

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Correct, but I can't remember who the heck did write it. I didn't mind it though.
    I didn't mind it through disc 3. After that, I'm like, let's just get this thing over with.
    Spoiler:
    I think the lady is just a crazy old coot living inside her own head
    Blaze is up next. I read about half the book years ago and for some reason never picked it back up.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    I didn't mind it through disc 3. After that, I'm like, let's just get this thing over with.
    Spoiler:
    I think the lady is just a crazy old coot living inside her own head
    Blaze is up next. I read about half the book years ago and for some reason never picked it back up.
    I was going to re-listen to Blaze at some point bc I literally remember nothing of it.

Along the Path of the Beam Starkraven7 is on a distinguished road Starkraven7's Avatar

I can hardly NOT be listening to an audiobook when I'm driving so I've been through many. I just finished Dan Brown's Origin read by Paul Michael. It was great! My three favorites of all time that I keep going back to (and you totally need to download) are:
    1. Duma Key (do I really have to tell you who wrote that?) read by John Slattery
    2. Joyland (same as above) read by Michael Kelly
    3. The Dispatcher by John Scalzi read by Zachary Quinto

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Starkraven7 View Post
    I can hardly NOT be listening to an audiobook when I'm driving so I've been through many. I just finished Dan Brown's Origin read by Paul Michael. It was great! My three favorites of all time that I keep going back to (and you totally need to download) are:
    1. Duma Key (do I really have to tell you who wrote that?) read by John Slattery
    2. Joyland (same as above) read by Michael Kelly
    3. The Dispatcher by John Scalzi read by Zachary Quinto
    I've gotten to be the same way when it comes to driving.

Duma Key is actually a book that I read vs. listened to and it has become one of my all time favorite King novels. I wouldn't mind a listen if the narrator is great.

I listened to Joyland and absolutely loved it! Great narration. At one time, we had an old beat up amusement park by the same name here in the city. Several attempts were made to bring it back to life, but all ultimately failed

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The narrator for Duma Key is excellent. It's one of my favorite books. Sometimes if I like the book so much I'm hesitant to listen to the audio book, a bad narrator can definitely make it less enjoyable. That's not the case here. You should give it a listen sometime. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    The narrator for Duma Key is excellent. It's one of my favorite books. Sometimes if I like the book so much I'm hesitant to listen to the audio book, a bad narrator can definitely make it less enjoyable. That's not the case here. You should give it a listen sometime. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Thanks, Heather. I'll add it to the list

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Steve usually has great narrators, except for Raul Esperaza who was the worst narrator ever. But Lisey's Story which people have said many times they have never finished bc of the language might be better off listening to the audio version and liking it more bc the narrator is so good.The combination of the two makes it a top three novel of all time for me.

People seem to be liking Duma Key more and more these days...I might re-listen to it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    Steve usually has great narrators, except for Raul Esperaza who was the worst narrator ever. But Lisey's Story which people have said many times they have never finished bc of the language might be better off listening to the audio version and liking it more bc the narrator is so good.The combination of the two makes it a top three novel of all time for me.

People seem to be liking Duma Key more and more these days...I might re-listen to it.
    I've only listened to Under the Dome but I didn't think Raul was bad. Might have to give Lisey's Story a shot as well then. I enjoyed the book unlike a lot of folks.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

It's funny you mention Lisey's Story. I really struggled to finish the book. I had to re-read it for a book club so I picked up the audiobook, and found that I actually enjoyed parts of the story. The narrator was wonderful. It might have also helped being able to get through it so quickly too, versus reading it for a month or so.

So far the only narrators that I've come across in the King audiobooks I've read that I haven't cared for would be George Guidall narrating the DT books. Coming off of Frank Muller, it was a hard adjustment. And Will Patton narrating Doctor Sleep. He was really good for the Bill Hodges books because he has that gruff hard boiled detective type of voice. But was a horrible fit for Danny Torrance, who I picture having a much softer voice.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Going to finish The Dead Zone tomorrow at work. At first I couldn't get James Franco's face out of my head, but after the first disc of 14, he becomes less of an actor and more of a narrator. I chose this one because I watched the movie recently. Though the movie isn't an exact translation of the book, I'm surprised by how much the movie tried to be faithful to the words on the page.

Listening to Last Call by Time Powers on Hoopla during yardwork on the weekends. First Powers' story for me. I like it.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    Going to finish The Dead Zone tomorrow at work. At first I couldn't get James Franco's face out of my head, but after the first disc of 14, he becomes less of an actor and more of a narrator. I chose this one because I watched the movie recently. Though the movie isn't an exact translation of the book, I'm surprised by how much the movie tried to be faithful to the words on the page.

Listening to Last Call by Time Powers on Hoopla during yardwork on the weekends. First Powers' story for me. I like it.
    I just started Dead Zone today and I'm on the fence if I should just bail. I wonder why they let a guy with a speech impediment read this book. He's kind of whiney too.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I just started Dead Zone today and I'm on the fence if I should just bail. I wonder why they let a guy with a speech impediment read this book. He's kind of whiney too.
    It becomes less noticeable after "the accident" happens. I also listened to it with windows media at 1.2 speed so that got me through the book a little quicker.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

It becomes less noticeable after "the accident" happens. I also listened to it with windows media at 1.2 speed so that got me through the book a little quicker.
    I agree. It took a couple of discs for the James Franco effect to disappear but after that it was fine. When it was first announced that there was going to be a Dead Zone audiobook I was hoping that Craig Wasson was going to be the narrator. He did an excellent job with 11/22/63 and his voice has an everyman quality that would have fit well with TDZ.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post

I agree. It took a couple of discs for the James Franco effect to disappear but after that it was fine. When it was first announced that there was going to be a Dead Zone audiobook I was hoping that Craig Wasson was going to be the narrator. He did an excellent job with 11/22/63 and his voice has an everyman quality that would have fit well with TDZ.
    Agreed. I loved his reading of 11/22/63.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Currently listening to The Terror by Dan Simmons, read by John Lee who does an excellent job. I really like Simmons but he has a tendency to go off into the weeds with his procedural descriptions.

Currently listening to The Terror by Dan Simmons, read by John Lee who does an excellent job. I really like Simmons but he has a tendency to go off into the weeds with his procedural descriptions.
    One of my favorites. I haven't listened to the audiobook, but I'm currently re-reading the book now.

I liked this audiobook, if you have the unabridged version (which I found very hard to find) there are long parts where I just didnt pay attention. Talking about routes and how the ship was built, I just faded. But the monster stuff was awesome and the ending was like a whole story on it's on which I loved.

Looking forward to this mini-series. Looks like they spent some $$$ on it.

...I liked this audiobook, if you have the unabridged version (which I found very hard to find) there are long parts where I just didnt pay attention. Talking about routes and how the ship was built, I just faded.
    I have the unabridged version and agree that repetitive passages about routes and other minutiae is mind numbing!

I love those portions of the book. Maybe it's just because I'm fascinated about the actual event.

Can not wait for the tv series.

Country
    Country Flag

Couple of discs into Blaze and I'm really enjoying it. Can't help but feel for the guy.

Couple of discs into Blaze and I'm really enjoying it. Can't help but feel for the guy.
    Ron McLarty does a great job reading Blaze (as he does with 'Salem's Lot) and I think the book would make for an excellent Frank Darabount directed movie. The flashback sections do an excellent job establishing Blaze a sympathetic character and the story is tightly written. One of my favorite SK novels and the best of the Bachman books.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast