Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Audiobooks. What are you listening to?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Is The Haunting of Hill House worth a listen?
    I liked it, and the narrator fits the material.

HBJ
    Thanks, Peter.

Just finished up Brother. I was pretty bored through 75% of it but it wrapped up very nicely.

Onto The Road now.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just finished listening to The One by John Marrs. I enjoyed it and they did a good job with the audiobook. They had a few different narrators which worked well with the book and the way it was written. The basic premise is that the gene that matches people together to their soulmate has been discovered and you can now take a DNA test to find your "one". Almost like a cross between match.com and ancestry. I also just saw that they're turning it into a Netflix series which could be interesting.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Listening to The Institute read by Santino Fontana who does a decent job.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

60% done with The Institute, I am thinking one of his top ten ever so far, hoping it stays that way.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    60% done with The Institute, I am thinking one of his top ten ever so far, hoping it stays that way.
    Agreed. Still a long way to go for me and I'm liking the narration as well.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Damned by Chuck P. I've enjoyed several of his books, but er, not this one. The narration is fine, it's definitely the story. Which half way through, and there hasn't been a story to speak of, except for describing everything to death in a repetitive way. There's a sequel, so something is going to happen I suppose.

Oh well, only 7 hrs, so I'll finish it.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I love his books, but I wasn't a fan of that one either. I have Doomed sitting on my bookshelf but still have yet to read it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

The Institute narrator has an odd habit or approach of sometimes, but not always, using a character's voice when reading non-dialogue passages involving a specific character, Orphan Annie for example. Yet he doesn't do it consistently. Kind of annoying. If a narrator is going to use character voices I prefer it is done for dialogue or inner thoughts/conversations only.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    The Institute narrator has an odd habit or approach of sometimes, but not always, using a character's voice when reading non-dialogue passages involving a specific character, Orphan Annie for example. Yet he doesn't do it consistently. Kind of annoying. If a narrator is going to use character voices I prefer it is done for dialogue or inner thoughts/conversations only.
    You do not realize how good the good narrators are until you get a bad one! I listened to 20 seconds of it and knew it was a no go.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    You do not realize how good the good narrators are until you get a bad one! I listened to 20 seconds of it and knew it was a no go.
    Yep, I've had to quit after starting an audiobook with a bad reader. But, I've also listened to books I wouldn't have regularly looked up because it has a narrator I enjoyed.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Yep, I've had to quit after starting an audiobook with a bad reader. But, I've also listened to books I wouldn't have regularly looked up because it has a narrator I enjoyed.
    Great point. True!

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF
    ANYTHING DT Related #246

Traveler arsomartinera is on a distinguished road

I am not a fan of audio books. I've tried and I get distracted then I have to rewind. I need the book in front of my face to concentrate. However I have wanted to read The Creature from Jekyll Island and I could not find an ebook or a DTB so I had to get the audio book. I will be listening to it shortly.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I love his books, but I wasn't a fan of that one either. I have Doomed sitting on my bookshelf but still have yet to read it.
    I haven't liked any novels since Rant, everything book just seems like something out of a writers workshop now.
    Actually now that I think about his new short story collection it gets really workshop-y in there too.

Country
    Country Flag

Finished The Institute and I thought it was just ok. Hill's Full Throttle is next.

Traveler Picklemaniac has a spectacular aura about Picklemaniac has a spectacular aura about Picklemaniac's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I am on a bit of a Frank Muller spree. I LOVED the first 4 dark tower books narrated by him. They were so damn good, too bad about the incident. I am currently listening to 1984 also narrated by Frank, afterwards probably blackhouse.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Incident?
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Incident?
    Probably referring to his (Frank's) motorcycle accident.

Needful Things read by SK.

Country
    Country Flag

Great book!

Great book!
    Agree. Underrated for sure.

Country
    Country Flag

Great book!
    Agree. Underrated for sure.
    Love it too. Term Underrated is appropriate.

looking for: The Road #208, Hill House numbered,
    Dead Zone 1st/1st
    ANYTHING DT Related #246

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm thinking of making The Institute my first audiobook ever.

Anyone listen to it?

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Anyone listen to it?
    Yes, the narrator is pretty good. I'm not a fan of his southern accents though.
    Steve usually has great readers for his stories.
    I would try a woman reader first they don't do "voices" usually. Or one that he reads he does a great job especially if you have never read On Writing, him reading it is fantastic.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Anyone listen to it?
    Yes, the narrator is pretty good. I'm not a fan of his southern accents though.
    Steve usually has great readers for his stories.
    I would try a woman reader first they don't do "voices" usually. Or one that he reads he does a great job especially if you have never read On Writing, him reading it is fantastic.
    The narrator was ok but the book was meh for me. Joyland was excellent on audio if you haven't read that one yet. I'm a huge fan of Stephen Lang's narrations. Not sure if he's done any King books but he has done several for Hill.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool. Thanks for the feedback!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast