Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiobooks. What are you listening to?

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Default Audiobooks. What are you listening to?

I thought it would be cool to start a non-king audio book forum for those of us who listen to a lot of audiobooks, to see who is a good narrator, what has great production values and throw in some audio drama/plays(If you want to DoctorDodge) as well. Hope that's cool!

I just saw they released Hyperion by Dan Simmons, seems like it has a cast instead of one person, Has anyone listened to this yet? I don't think I could actually read it.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Almost done Summer of Night and have 18-20 hours to fill before WindKeyhole comes out. Any suggestions?
    I was really hoping this Bradbury tribute would be on audio but it's not.
    Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    I thought it would be cool to start a non-king audio book forum for those of us who listen to a lot of audiobooks, to see who is a good narrator, what has great production values and throw in some audio drama/plays(If you want to DoctorDodge) as well. Hope that's cool!
    Well, when I set up that earlier thread, the real reason is because, while I have really begun to enjoy the genre, the only recommendations I really have to make atm is - you guessed it - either Dr. Who or Dr. Who related. Moreso on the latter group: audio company Big Finish have really been able to create compelling drama that may use characters or elements of the Whoniverse while not only being very different in tone but also being the kind of stuff you can jump on board with without being a Who fan. However, having discovered the benefits of the genre, I was also keen on checking out original work (when I've finished listening to everything Who related, of course).

Currently listening to: Doctor Who: The Lost Stories, a series of audio stories based on scripts that never got made for tv, for one reason or another. The current season I'm listening to is easily one of the most fascinating: 'Season 27', the season of stories that were originally planned to be made before the original series was cancelled. Which is ironic, because it was around that time that the show had finally started getting awesome again. Just listening to the first story atm, and there's a wonderfully authentic feel to them, right down to the late 80s sounding soundtrack.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

That's a lot of Doctor Who!

I read somewhere this weekend that there's a cast reading of American Gods but I couldn't find it online, just the one read by George Guidall which is great but I would liek to here the cast one.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, that does sound interesting. I really enjoyed American Gods, so I'd be keen for a cast reading, if it was as good as the book. If you find such a reading, let us know.

- Melike

its the 10th anniversary edition. It might be an audible only edition
    http://www.amazon.com/American-Gods-.../dp/B005745I4C

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Sounds good to me. Unfortunatly, doesn't look like I can get it on the UK audible website. Shame. If you do listen to it Mike, let us know how it is, anyway.

- Melike

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    its the 10th anniversary edition. It might be an audible only edition
    http://www.amazon.com/American-Gods-.../dp/B005745I4C
    Interesting. I'm an audible member and I'm probably due for a reread of AMERICAN GODS...

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I recently finished listening to The Dune by Stephen King (found as an extra on the end of the UTD audiobook). I'm almost finished listening to the commentary on The Shining by King, Mick Garris, Steven Weber, etc. It's not really an audiobook but sorta.

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Just put in the last CD of Wizard and Glass. Will finish it and start Wolves on my travels Monday. LOVE my audio books for car travel which I do a lot.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Neither an audio book or drama, but a brilliant podcast called "The Ricky Gervais Show". An incredibly misleading title, though: it's basically Karl Pilkington, a mate of Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant's talking shit, and Gervais and Merchant going "WTF?!?" and laughing their arses off.

And it's absolutely brilliant.

- Melike

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I started The Haunting of Hills House this morning. So far pretty good.

I almost bought that last night, it was between that and Hell House by Matheson, then I ended up looking at all of Matheson's stuff and couldn't commit to anything.

I finished Summer of Night last Night, it was great, the narrator grew on me after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by blavigne View Post
    Just put in the last CD of Wizard and Glass. Will finish it and start Wolves on my travels Monday. LOVE my audio books for car travel which I do a lot.
    Are you going to listen to Keyhole?
    Going from Muller to Guidall is kind of jarring at first.
    Guidall also reads American Gods, it will be a tough decision between that or the cast version. DD, the 10th anniversary cast reading is also on iTunes in the US.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Cheers for the tip, but unfortunatly, no such luck in the UK. I can wait, though. Only finished the book a few months ago.

- Melike

Listening to Bradbury collection Long After Midnight read by Michael Prichard who is awesome by the way while waiting for DT 4.5
    Good collection, I find reading too much RB gets depressing after awhile but this one is pretty good.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Big Finish are currently having a sale on for their first 50 main range Doctor Who audios, so been spending a fuckload of cash to cover some of the large gaps in my collection atm. It'll be a long time before I get through them though. (Of course, with so little Who on the telly this year, this cat's not complaining in the slightest!)

Of the last one I listened to, The Anachronauts was pretty good. It's a Companion Chronicle, an audio story that's a lot closer to an audiobook than a drama, as usually told by one of the Doctor's companions. In this case, it was two, and double length, but really, it felt like two stories in one. I really enjoyed it, with an excellent impersonation of the 1st Doctor from actor Peter Purves, and some really good production values, with some excellent use of sound to enhance the atmosphere of the story. I've always been impressed with Big Finish's work, and like everything else, I'd say this rates highly. Storywise, it was a nice little scifi mystery that really captured the feel of 60s Who, so that was also a plus. Overall, a good story to listen to.

Now what to listen to next of my subscriptions? A 4-part 5th Doctor story, or 2 2-part 4th Doctor ones? Decisions, decisions.

- Melike

Traveler Pherf is on a distinguished road

I am listening to the Andromeda Strain by Crichton

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Right now I am listening to The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm thinking about The Forever War by Joe Haldeman next. Got good reviews, anyone ever read/listened to it?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Listening to The Fellowship of the Ring. The guy nailed all the voices. I have it on tape, still the only unabridged edition to my knowledge. You can actually tell they played this to actors and told them that's how they should sound.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've now listened to about 15 hours of Don Quixote. Does it get any better? I'm not sure I can stick through this. I'm only about 1/3 of the way through. It is very hard to listen to.

Default DQ

Wow is that book really that long?
    I would have bailed at 10 hours

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Loved the Lord Of The Rings full cast with Ian Holmes as Frodo,

Listening to the Storm of Swords (Song of Ice and Fire bk 3) He's pretty good at coming up with many voices.

Rant by Chuck P. was a full cast, really good.

I saw someone enjoyed American Gods, try Anasi Boys as well, it's worth it.

GraphicAudio has fun audio dramas for comicbooks.

King related, UR was great.

There are some crappy ones out there, maybe we need a thread for those as well.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Listening to I, Partridge: We Need to talk about Alan right now. This was one I had to listen to rather than read, as it's read by Partridge himself, Steve Coogan. Fucking hysterical so far, and i'm only a few minutes in. Brilliant.

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast