Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiobooks. What are you listening to?

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

I am suffering through The Watchers at the moment, super smart dog and gorilla monster, gotcha.... Surprised this is considered Koontz' best. I think the onlyone I truly liked was Phantoms, that was a great audio book btw.

Traveler asted2113 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I'm trying to listen to the Audible drama for Locke and Key by Joe Hill. It's a little hard to understand without having read the comics. So much is just assumed you understand what the comic pictures are telling you. Might be better to "follow" along with the comic books.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

I read the comics but still found it hard to follow or remember what was going on. I think a little extra narration would have helped it tremendously.

I actually had to stop listening to Blake Crouch's Dark Matter.
    The narrator sounded like a transvestite when doing women and like the detective from South Park while doing everyone else. Add in Crouch's overly dramatic explanations
    "He found an ax, the blade was dull, like it had been there for a hundred years with parts that had chipped off making it not the best weapon to have but the only weapon he could find" Yea yea we get it he found a beat up ax...

I had to throw it in the trunk as a back up book. Next!

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I also gave up Dark Matter because of the horrid narration.
    Good to know I wasnt the only one who couldnt tolerate that voice...

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I can understand how a horrible narration can ruin a book. It's a shame, especially if it's a good story. You guys should consider reading it. I loved the book.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut. Not enjoying it as much as when I read it in 2000.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    I also gave up Dark Matter because of the horrid narration.
    Good to know I wasnt the only one who couldnt tolerate that voice...
    Crazy right? There's so many good narrators now, how did that happen?

Heather19
    I can understand how a horrible narration can ruin a book. It's a shame, especially if it's a good story. You guys should consider reading it. I loved the book.
    My brohter in law owns it so I will give a shot. Thanks!

Listening to Finders Keepers in the car, pretty engrossing stuff. Too much rape though, jeez Steve!
    I think Steve's everything bad happens bc of booze thing fits more into these detective novels than his scfi/horror stuff.

Listening to The Passage at work and I would never buy or listen to an abridgement but I feel like this one could have been ok with one. After the big change in storyline it just hasn't captured me as much as the beginning and I thought all the relationship drama just drug the story down for me. I also think their 80s styled nicknames were silly Mouse, Radio, Hightop....It's like when Stan Smith goes to the Island and gives all the natives nicknames. "I'll name you Hot Rod"
    I hope that it picks up soon.
    Great narrartors though!

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Mr Mercedes so the wife will be ready for the show. Listening to it on the commute.

Listening to Hell House at work. Ray Porter is the nar. and I'm gonna look for more by him.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like Will Patton as a narrator. I was happy he did the whole trilogy.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just started listening to On Writing. I had no idea the first third of the book was an autobiography. I would have picked this one up sooner. It was wonderful listening to King talk about his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Just started listening to On Writing. I had no idea the first third of the book was an autobiography. I would have picked this one up sooner. It was wonderful listening to King talk about his life.
    Yes! This book is in my top 5 bc of the audiobook, it's so much fun listening to Steve just talk about his childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Yes! This book is in my top 5 bc of the audiobook, it's so much fun listening to Steve just talk about his childhood.

I just got into the portion about the writing. Does it get better? I'm not a writer so listening to this part is a little dry. The only good thing is that King is narrating so that's a plus. But yes that first portion of the book was wonderful. I just wish the whole thing was like that.

I don't mind that part, but I find anything about creating interesting so I might not be the one to make that call. It definitely doesn't get into text book territory though. I thought Danse Macabre was 100x drier.

Oh really. I've been wanting to read that one forever now, but haven't gotten around to it yet for some reason. I do love anything to do with horror though.

So I finished On Writing. Loved it. There were a few dry spots when he went into detail about sentences and words or what not, but luckily those were very small portions. I really enjoyed the insight into his own creative process, and the stories behind some of his books. And that epilogue about what he went through with his accident made me want to cry.

Yes, very honest and entertaining. Made me dig Steve even more. Glad you stuck with it.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One of my favorites to listen to. Very inspiring and fun.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

It made me want to sit down and write. Unfortunately I can not write

Listened to Gwendy's Button Box yesterday, it was ok I guess, not sure why it's touted as a Castle Rock story it could have taken place anywhere, unless the suicide stairs were mentioned in another book. It was fine, not sure why RF would want to save the world though...
    I usually like woman narrators better than men, I wasn't a big fan of this one though, I found it hard to pay attention to her maybe with a longer story it would have gotten easier.
    Music Room was great though.

So I'm about 3 discs into Zero's backstory in City of Mirrors...wtf? Is this necessary?

So I'm about 3 discs into Zero's backstory in City of Mirrors...wtf? Is this necessary?
    Apparently it was! This was by far the best book in the series.

I am listening to Regulators in the car and Desperation at work as a little experiment bc I hated both books I thought maybe this would make it more interesting.
    Regulators is one of 3 books by Steve that I never finished. Danse and Dreamcatcher were the other 2.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looking for some recommendations for my commute each day (3 hours round trip). Doesn't necessarily have to be King or a specific genre, but a great narrator would be most appreciated. Thanks!

I recently finished up Joyland read by Michael Kelly. Awesome, awesome reader and I loved the story. About to the end of Joe Hill's The Fireman and with the exception of a few spots, I've been bored to death with it. I'm a huge Hill fan but this one missed the mark and the narrator didn't help it much.

On deck next is 11/22/63.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am listening to Regulators in the car and Desperation at work as a little experiment bc I hated both books I thought maybe this would make it more interesting.
    Regulators is one of 3 books by Steve that I never finished. Danse and Dreamcatcher were the other 2.
    I didn't care for those two either, Mike. Although I managed to finish both of them. Never read (or listened to) Danse or Dreamcatcher.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast