Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiobooks. What are you listening to?

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed, Ron McLarty is a great narrator. I listened to a bunch of his Baldacci audiobooks. Those are fun as they usually have a female narrator for all female roles and it does make it more engrossing.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Couple of discs into Blaze and I'm really enjoying it. Can't help but feel for the guy.
    Ron McLarty does a great job reading Blaze (as he does with 'Salem's Lot) and I think the book would make for an excellent Frank Darabount directed movie. The flashback sections do an excellent job establishing Blaze a sympathetic character and the story is tightly written. One of my favorite SK novels and the best of the Bachman books.
    Any time I can plug McLarty's own book I will.
    Memory of Running is one of my favorite books. Smithy is one of the greatest characters ever.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    Memory of Running is one of my favorite books. Smithy is one of the greatest characters ever.
    Agree. I enjoyed Traveler and The Dropper as well.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Couple of discs into Blaze and I'm really enjoying it. Can't help but feel for the guy.
    Ron McLarty does a great job reading Blaze (as he does with 'Salem's Lot) and I think the book would make for an excellent Frank Darabount directed movie. The flashback sections do an excellent job establishing Blaze a sympathetic character and the story is tightly written. One of my favorite SK novels and the best of the Bachman books.
    I'm enjoying the audio much better than the read I didn't complete. I'll have to add 'Salem's to the list of TBLT.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Yea, James Franco is terrible, melodramatic and whiny. That's just the power of Steve's storytelling that can make one continue listening. He's not the worst but it's a bummer.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Started Oyrx and Crake by Atwood, but I couldn't follow what was going on after 2 discs. Campbell Scott has no emotion. Abandoned ship.

On disc 8 of The Talisman, Frank Muller is top notch.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

See I really like Campbell Scott, he did Cell and The Shining. No BS, doesn't try to do woman's voices, or make it overly dramatic.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I just finished Adnan's Story: The Search for Truth and Justice After Serial by Rabia Chaudry. This book is an expansion and sequel (of sorts) to the excellent Serial podcast about the murder of high school student Hae Min Lee, and the subsequent trial and conviction of her ex-boyfriend Adnan Syed. It is also part memoir, as Rabia recounts her experiences of living as a Muslim in the United States, and her involvement in trying to raise awareness of Adnan's case, and raise money for his legal appeal.

The book is very well written, and Rabia's narration is excellent.

However, Rabia holds the firm position that Adnan is innocent, so while her description of the events before, during and after the trial are interesting and thorough, her analysis of them has a foregone conclusion. She tends to judge the validity of evidence, witness testimony, or the integrity of people based on whether they are helping Adnan's case, rather than on their own merits.

Having said that, though, she makes her case well, despite overplaying her hand at times.

Generally very good - 3 1/2 stars (out of 5).

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished up Blaze and absolutely loved it! On to Danse Macabre now and so far, I'm not real impressed.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Just finished up Blaze and absolutely loved it! On to Danse Macabre now and so far, I'm not real impressed.
    I never finished this, I really wish Steve had read it, it would have been a much more enjoyable listen.

Country
    Country Flag

I never finished this, I really wish Steve had read it, it would have been a much more enjoyable listen.
    Agreed.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I just finished Adnan's Story: The Search for Truth and Justice After Serial by Rabia Chaudry. This book is an expansion and sequel (of sorts) to the excellent Serial podcast about the murder of high school student Hae Min Lee, and the subsequent trial and conviction of her ex-boyfriend Adnan Syed. It is also part memoir, as Rabia recounts her experiences of living as a Muslim in the United States, and her involvement in trying to raise awareness of Adnan's case, and raise money for his legal appeal.

The book is very well written, and Rabia's narration is excellent.

However, Rabia holds the firm position that Adnan is innocent, so while her description of the events before, during and after the trial are interesting and thorough, her analysis of them has a foregone conclusion. She tends to judge the validity of evidence, witness testimony, or the integrity of people based on whether they are helping Adnan's case, rather than on their own merits.

Having said that, though, she makes her case well, despite overplaying her hand at times.

Generally very good - 3 1/2 stars (out of 5).
    Have you heard of the podcast Undisclosed: The State vs. Adnan Syed? Rabia along with two other lawyers go into tons more detail and other evidence that wasn't presented in Serial. Very interesting if you're interested in the case.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Heather, I haven't listened to Undisclosed, but I may do so soon. Rabia's book actually covers much of the substance of the Undiclosed podcasts about Adnan's case. It was only written a couple of years ago.

I'm re-listening to Heart Shaped Box, I really forgot how it just starts, Bam! out of the gates. Stephen Lang is great, the recording is a little low though.
    You can definitely tell that Joe labored over sentences for HSB and Horns. I think he became alot more fluid after those.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm re-listening to Heart Shaped Box, I really forgot how it just starts, Bam! out of the gates. Stephen Lang is great, the recording is a little low though.
    You can definitely tell that Joe labored over sentences for HSB and Horns. I think he became alot more fluid after those.
    Lang is an excellent reader.

I started McCammon's Usher's Passing since I haven't read anything by him pre-Stinger. The narrator is kinda corny and the pace was a little slow to listen to in traffic so I switch to Grady Hendrix's My Best Friend's Exorcism which is great so far.

Country
    Country Flag

Finished up Danse Macabre the other day. That was a tough one to get through. My favorite part was at the end learning about where he drew his inspiration for The Stand, which remains my all time favorite King book.

On to Something Wicked This Way Comes. So far I'm not really getting into it.

Country
    Country Flag

Thinking of subscribing to Audible. Can anyone tell me exactly how this works? Kinda vague on their website. Do you have to buy each book you want to listen to or is there a massive free library to chose from with your subscription? Thanks!

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thinking of subscribing to Audible. Can anyone tell me exactly how this works? Kinda vague on their website. Do you have to buy each book you want to listen to or is there a massive free library to chose from with your subscription? Thanks!
    I believe you get one per month but you can trade in your one you have that month for a different etc (think library). I think you can build credits that allow you to get more than one at a time per month.
    **this is what I gathered talking to my friend about it one time.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've often wondered how it works as well. If you join let us know. I was thinking you had to buy every book which I'm not really a fan of, but if you can return it and get another for free then that's not bad at all.

I primarily use the Overdrive app to borrow audiobooks from the library.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    I believe you get one per month but you can trade in your one you have that month for a different etc (think library). I think you can build credits that allow you to get more than one at a time per month.
    Thanks, Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I've often wondered how it works as well. If you join let us know. I was thinking you had to buy every book which I'm not really a fan of, but if you can return it and get another for free then that's not bad at all.

I primarily use the Overdrive app to borrow audiobooks from the library.
    Great idea, Heather on that app. Is there a way to see if my local libraries participate?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    If you have amazon Prime you also get free credits. It says limited books are included but my wife has picked anything from Lord of the rings to HP to the scifi dan simmons series and hasn't been shut out. If you have prime I would look into that first.

But yes the subscription allows you a certain amount of books(credits) per month so if you listen to IT and it takes you 3 months, your 2 credits carry over to when you use them, so then you can listen to Of Mice and Men and Animal Farm in one month bc they are short and you have those credits you didn't use bc you were listening to IT.

At least that's what I gather.

My whole family does Library audiobook streaming program that Heather mentioned and they have no problems. I think you can also watch movies from that too.

Sorry to repeat what you were saying Josh.

Great idea, Heather on that app. Is there a way to see if my local libraries participate?
    Not sure, you could check their website or give them a call. You could also download the app and put in your library card and see if it works. My local libraries are C/W Mars, so if yours is also, it'll work. Good luck!

I pay $14.95 per month and get 1 credit per month. Each credit can be used to pay for a book, which you keep. The book is in a custom format though - you need to use audibles apps to play them. You can hoard up to 6 credits, and I think they expire after a year of being given to you.

Benefits of being a member are you get discounts on all books in the store (about 20-30%, maybe) if you buy withoit credits, and there are regular sales - 2 books for one credit, selections of books for $4.95, $6.95, etc.

If you listen to more than 1 audiobook a month, and want to own the audiobook, not return it, then I think it's a good deal. But if you have a library with a good audio selection, or you can borrow the audiobooks you like through Overdrive, then that's a free option.

With audible you can cancel any time, so I know if a lot of people who buy a membership for a year or two, get a bunch of credits/books in sales etc. and then cancel for a while. You lose your credits when you cancel, but retain access to your library.

You can also use audible without being a paid member, just with your Amazon login. The books are not discounted, but you still can get them cheaper if you buy the kindle book as well. You don't get access to sales either.

If you're an amazon prime member you get free access to a small (50?) number of audiobooks for free. You can listen to them but not keep them. The selection changes over time.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

My library participates in Overdrive and Hoopla. I use Hoopla more often myself. Each one has different selections last time I checked Overdrive. So, If you can't find a title on one, you may on the other.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast