Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A L | E N

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    And sometimes a movie is just there to entertain and make money. It was thought provoking, but just maybe no to the extent you're reading into it. Then again, to each his own. Whatever makes the film more enjoyable to you or anyone else the better.
    Aren't the best films/tv series/whatever perfectly acceptable as both? If a story works on two levels - both as pure entertainment while providing plenty food for thought - then in my opinion that's a great story that can provide both a personal and wide-ranging experience with both an enjoyable time and huge amount of discussion on what else it could provide on another level. (It's one reason why, with all the depth and psychology and philosophy it presents, that I'm amazed feev isn't as big a fan of Life on Mars as he is of Lost, but never mind! ) While I didn't think it was the best film of the year, I am glad that it's got us all thinking at least, and it was enjoyable, too.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    And sometimes a movie is just there to entertain and make money. It was thought provoking, but just maybe no to the extent you're reading into it. Then again, to each his own. Whatever makes the film more enjoyable to you or anyone else the better.
    Aren't the best films/tv series/whatever perfectly acceptable as both? If a story works on two levels - both as pure entertainment while providing plenty food for thought - then in my opinion that's a great story that can provide both a personal and wide-ranging experience with both an enjoyable time and huge amount of discussion on what else it could provide on another level. (It's one reason why, with all the depth and psychology and philosophy it presents, that I'm amazed feev isn't as big a fan of Life on Mars as he is of Lost, but never mind! ) While I didn't think it was the best film of the year, I am glad that it's got us all thinking at least, and it was enjoyable, too.
    Oh. I agree. I was being a bit more specific in that I don't think it was intended for the multiple layers of Meta-Physical discussion. Again though, that's just me!!!! Folks have written entire novels describing the "symbolism" in LOTR and the author clearly stated "It's just a story". If you want to look for symbolism and depth you'll invariably find it. Doesn't mean it was intended from the start. Matter of fact, that's a Lindelof signature!!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Hey, it ain't worth shit what the writer intended, it's what people can base arguments from what he's written that counts!

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

A great collection of quotes from both Scott and Lindelof addressing some of the films more pressing questions. Also, Prometheus 2 is all but officially confirmed. Read on !

The Beginning: Creation of Life

Ridley Scott: "[The] sequence at the beginning of the film that is fundamentally creation. It's a donation, in the sense that the weight and the construction of the DNA of those aliens is way beyond what we can possibly imagine." Source: The Playlist

Ridley Scott: "The guy at the beginning is simply donating himself, no stranger than the Aztecs or Incas would choose some poor bugger, at the beginning saying 'right, you're it, in the year you get all the girls you want, all the food you want, blah blah, and at the end of the year we're going to take your heart, take it out, squeeze it, and w're going to get jolly good crops and good weather next year.' It's no more than that, he's into a form of donation, except his DNA is so powerful, each molecule is like a timebomb. So, we only set our standards by what we know here, which makes us essentially naive. We don't, we can't conceive of galloping DNA: I release that on the desk, and in a second I've got a cotton wool ball going black. We can't conceive that because it's not in your frame of experience. So you've got to take your brain, put it on the side, and when you enter the movie just let yourself breathe." Source: Slashgear

Ridley Scott: "You're either going to believe in the fact that we're by entirely genetic luck, so from day one where you have atomic storms -- inconceivable storms that will go on in this nucleus, in which the dirt bowl will find some reason to start growth on everything -- was that created? That may have been accidental, because I think there are many of those out there. But then the idea that, is there a higher force in the universe, comes the question: is it God, or are there superior beings out there? You stand and look at the stars at night in the galaxy out there, it's entirely ridiculous to believe that we are it. You mean this is it? We're sitting in this room, I’ve got this fucking cappuccino, and up there there’s no-one else? I don’t think so!" Source: Slashgear

"Big things have small beginnings." -- David, citing Lawrence of Arabia

Is it Earth?

Ridley Scott: "No, it doesn't have to be. That could be anywhere. That could be a planet anywhere. All he's doing is acting as a gardener in space. And the plant life, in fact, is the disintegration of himself. If you parallel that idea with other sacrificial elements in history -- which are clearly illustrated with the Mayans and the Incas -- he would live for one year as a prince, and at the end of that year, he would be taken and donated to the gods in hopes of improving what might happen next year, be it with crops or weather, etc., etc." Source: The Playlist

Martin Hill (WETA Visual Effects Supervisor), about the sequence: "Because we had such a short amount of time to tell the story of the DNA getting infected, breaking apart, and then re-forming and recombining to show Earth DNA, we had to make the designs of the different DNA quite graphical, quite illustrative of what they were." Source: MTV

About Weyland

Ridley Scott: "There's a scene in the script that we decided not to shoot, where we see the inside of that dream, and basically David takes a jetski out with a beautiful woman in a bikini, to a yacht, and on the yacht is Weyland. Played by Guy, without old-age make-up: this is his dream. And they have a scene together, and in that scene David says 'the engineers are dead, they’re all gone, mission failure' and Weyland says 'go back and try harder.' And we rewrote it so that we were going to play Weyland’s identify closed, give the audience a sense that [David] was talking to someone on the ship but not view them." Source: Slashgear

What Does the Black Substance Do?

Damon Lindelof: "I think that one of the things that I love about Ridley’s movies, and have loved long before I worked with him -- and it's very surreal to be on the inside of; thirty-some odd years after Blade Runner we're all still talking about whether or not Deckard is a robot. So there's a speculative part of it, so the question becomes 'what does the black goo do?' That is the question that you're supposed to be asking coming out of this movie. The movie demonstrates what it does in certain circumstances. So, here's what it does if it gets on worms; here's what it does if it gets on your face; here's what it does if someone just puts a little bit of it in your drink. So, now we see that that lots of this is headed to Earth. Now, you used the word 'weapon,' you're extrapolating that based on the theory [Prometheus captain] Janek has, because it looks like a payload to him: all these ships are loaded with this stuff, and they're headed for Earth. The intent has to be to wipe us out, or is it to evolve us, or is it for something else?"

Damon Lindelof: These are all hopefully questions and points of debate – frustrating for some -- but ultimately the kind of science-fiction... why the two movies that Ridley did decades ago are still being discussed, is this idea that when you walk out of the theater that you have to go into a community and start to discuss 'well, wait a minute, this is what I think happened,' and you're hopefully mirroring the conversation that the characters are having in the movie, and more importantly this is why Shaw says what she says at the end of the movie. Which is, 'I’m not going back to Earth and calling it a day, I need to know a little bit more about what's happening here.'" Source: Slashgear

Why does David Infect Holloway?

Damon Lindelof: "I'd say that the short answer is: That's his programming. In the scene preceding him doing that, he is talking to Weyland (although we don't know it at the time) and he's telling Weyland that this is a bust. That they haven't found anything on this mission other than the stuff in the vials. And Weyland presumably says to him, "Well, what's in the vials?" And David would say, "I'm not entirely sure, we'll have to run some experiments." And Weyland would say, "What would happen if you put it in inside a person?" And David would say, "I don't know, I'll go find out." He doesn't know that he's poisoning Holloway, he asks Holloway, "What would you be willing to do to get the answers to your questions?" Holloway says, "Anything and everything." And that basically overrides whatever ethical programming David is mandated by, [allowing him] to spike his drink." Source: io9.com

About the Theme of Birth

Ridley Scott: "[...] I think dropping that stuff in earlier, [Shaw] saying 'I can’t conceive,' was absolutely the right, perfect thing to do. Which then, after that -- because they then relate to each other, consummate, and the following day by God she's pregnant -- once she's pregnant, I have to see it, I have to see what that is. And because it's extreme, galloping DNA, whatever that is that's creating this monstrous thing growing inside of her – he says 'you look three months pregnant;' in 25 minutes she now looks eight months pregnant – that's inconceivable for us, because we don't understand it. But I think probably way up there somewhere, it's entirely feasible. You've got to show it, you've gotta do it." Source: Slashgear

"The trick, Mr. Potter, is not minding it hurts." -- David, citing Lawrence of Arabia

Who are the Engineers?

Ridley Scott: "Who pushed Earth along? Have we been previsited by gods or aliens? The fact that they'd be at least a billion years ahead of us in technology is daunting, and one might use the word God or gods or engineers of life in space." Source: New York Times

Ridley Scott: "In a funny kind of way, if you look at the Engineers, they’re tall and elegant. They are dark angels. If you look at 'Paradise Lost,' the guys who have the best time in the story are the dark angels, not God. So boil it all down, and humanity was the offspring of some dark/rogue angels? That would seem to be the gist of it, and we guess that's where a Prometheus 2 would go if/when that should ever happen. Now Prometheus is ready to go off in its own direction on its own entirely different tangent that is not going to be reliant on the things we’ve seen a thousand times before." Source: The Playlist

Did the Engineers Want us to Visit Them?

Damon Lindelof: "I will say that there's something fascinating about humanity where we perceive it as an invitation. You look at a cave wall, there's somebody pointing at some distant planets, and one interpretation is 'This is where we come from' another is 'We want you to come here.' Where are we drawing that from? I think another thing that's interesting about the system that they visit is that the moon they land on in Prometheus is LV 223. And we know LV 426 is where the action takes place in Alien, so are they even in the right place? And how close are they to the place that these aliens on cave walls were directing them. Were they just extrapolating 'this is the system that has the sun with the sustainable life.' So there's a lot of guesswork. There's a small line in the movie where David and Holloway are talking about David's deconstruction of the language based on Holloway's thesis, and he says 'If your thesis is correct' and Holloway says 'if it's correct?' and David says 'that’s why they call it a thesis Doctor.' And the reason we threw that in there is that we're dealing with a highly hypothetical area in terms of who these beings are, what, if any, invitation they issued, and who is responsible for making those cave paintings. And did something happen in between when those cave paintings were made -- tens of thousands of years ago -- and our arrival now, in 2093, 2,000 years after these things have perished? Did something happen in the intermediate period that we should be thinking about?" Source: IGN

Why do the Engineers Want to Destroy the Humans?

Ridley Scott: "God doesn't hate us. But God could be disappointed in us — like children." Source: New York Times

Damon Lindelof: "I think that we had a very defined idea of why the Engineers put those paintings on cave walls, and why it is that they loaded ships full of death, as Shaw puts it at the end of the movie. So those answers are not definitively presented in Prometheus, though if you look through all the materials, I think that the evidence is all there to form a very informed opinion as to what happened, but I'm not going to tell you what my opinion is, as frustrating as it might be." Source: IGN

Damon Lindelof: "But I do feel like, embedded in this movie are the fundamental ideas behind why it is the Engineers would want to wipe us out. The movie asks the question, were we created by these beings? And it answers that question very definitively. But in the wake of that answer there's a new question, which is, they created us but now they want to destroy us, why did they change their minds? That's the question that Shaw is asking at the end of this movie, the one that she wants answered. I do think that there are a lot of hints in this movie; that we give you quite an educated guess as to why. But obviously not to the detriment of what Shaw might find when she goes to talk to these things herself." Source: io9.com

Ridley Scott: "If you look at it as an 'our children are misbehaving down there' scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, 'Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it.' Guess what? They crucified him." Source: The Playlist

Ridley Scott, about the audio/video message transmitted by the humans: "Did you get what the message was about? [It was a message to the engineers.] That would be a constant, from takeoff you'd be constantly replaying that, hoping that somebody's gonna say 'don’t come any further, I'm gonna to blow you out of the sky.' In there, there would be every conceivable form of mathematics equation, and anyone who is superior is going to look at that for three seconds and say 'we've got chimpanzees on the way.' So, it's an assessment of who's coming, basically, it makes sense." Source: Slashgear

Damon Lindelof: "The gods want to limit their creations; they might want to dethrone God." Source: New York Times

"This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life." -- translation of what David says (about Peter Weyland) to the Engineer.

On Prometheus and Religion

Damon Lindelof: "Hey, a bunch of humans seeking out their creator. David knows exactly who created him, and he is not impressed by his creator."

Ridley Scott: "I do despair. That's a heavy word, but picking up a newspaper every day, how can you not despair at what's happening in the world, and how we're represented as human beings? The disappointments and corruption are dismaying at every level. And the biggest source of evil is of course religion. [...] Everyone is tearing each other apart in the name of their personal god. And the irony is, by definition, they're probably worshipping the same god. [...] I'm really intrigued by those eternal questions of creation and belief and faith. I don't care who you are, it's what we all think about. It's in the back of all our minds." Source: Esquire

Damon Lindelof: "I'm most definitively pro-science, but I think that the movie advances the idea that, can the two live along side each other? Is it possible to be a scientist and maintain some fungible faith in the unknown? And are you rewarded for having blind faith? I do think that the movie is making the meta-commentary in saying well Shaw is the true believer on board, and she's the one who survives. So what are we trying to say by telling that story?" Source: io9.com

The Connection to Alien(s)

Damon Lindelof: "Essentially what I proposed to them was that the movie didn't need to lean as heavily on the Alien tropes that we were all familiar with. Eggs, face-huggers, chest bursters, acid blood, xenomorphs. I said that stuff can be a part of this movie, but I don't think it needs to be what the movie's about. There are some other really cool ideas in here that you can flesh out and grow." Source: IGN

Ridley Scott, about the ship shown in Alien: "I always thought it was a carrier. It's a vehicle that doesn't look like it crashed. It looks like it may have [been a] forced landing, but it landed. And why did it land and why was the pilot damaged? Because his cargo... something had gotten loose, in the cargo; had evolved, and had actually taken him out." [Source: Hero Complex]

Ridley Scott: "For all intents and purposes this is very loosely a prequel, very, and then you say 'But how did that ship evolve in the first Alien?' Then I would say 'Actually he's one of the group that had gone off and his cargo had gotten out of control,' because he was heading somewhere else and it got out of control and actually he had died in the process and that would be the story there. That ship happened to be a brother to the ship that you see that comes out of the ground at the end. They are roughly of the same period give or take a couple hundred years, right? Other than that, there's no real link except it explains, I think, who may have had these capabilities, which are dreadful weapons way beyond anything we could possibly conceive, bacteriological drums of shit that you can drop on a planet..." Source: Collider

Is the Ending the End of the Story?

Ridley Scott: "Well, from the very beginning, I was working from a premise that lent itself to a sequel. I really don’t want to meet God in the first one. I want to leave it open to [Noomi Rapace’s character] saying, 'I don’t want to go back to where I came from. I want to go where they came from." Source: The Playlist

Ridley Scott: "Because [the Engineers] are such aggressive fuckers, I always had it in there that the God-like creature that you will see actually is not so nice, and is certainly not God. I'd love to explore where [Dr. Shaw] goes next and what does she do when she gets there, because if it is paradise, paradise can not be what you think it is. Paradise has a connotation of being extremely sinister and ominous." [Source: THR]

Damon Lindelof: "I think that Prometheus wanted to have two children. One child grows up to be Alien (the movie), the other child grows up to become this other mysterious force where we're heading off in a different direction and contemplating why it is our creators wanted to destroy us. This is a fundamentally interesting question looked at on a theological level, but also on a sci-fi level as well. In constructing those questions, Ridley wanted to know what the answers were as well, and we talked about those at great length, and then he determined what it was he wanted to put in the movie." Source: IGN

Source.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Very enlightening. Thanks Fever.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You guys have GOT to read this, ahahahahahahaahaha!

http://www.cracked.com/blog/a-series...-new-tech-guy/

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

Glad you bumped this. My brother finally the saw the movie and had some interesting thoughts. He feels the original Engineer at the beginning was a military soldier dishonorably discharged, left alone on the planet. He, like many soldiers who have dishonored themselves, commits suicide by drinking the black goo. Only, when he falls in the water, he unintentionally creates new life in his image. Now... there are these other beefycakey Engineers around that are warriors.... but then there are the normal Eningeers lacking that physique who are missionaries or scientists what have you, THEY find Earth and the people and visit frequently to share knowledge and advance society. They are helping them. They show them the general direction of their home planet(s) and say, "someday, when you figure it out, stop by" figuring humans at that point might be intellectually equal to the Engineers and ready to have their minds blown by even cooler stuff. Only the military Engineers find out about earth and decide to destroy it, because Earth is like the bastard son they never wanted and who isn't really making anything of himself. So they get their all-purpose goo and are ready to wipe out humans when the missionaries/scientists/etc let the goo loose on THEM. That's why some engineers are running all over the place and there are piles of bodies that look like a fight went down along with the alien chest-bursting and what not. SO our living Engineer gets to his chamber and when he wakes up, he's still in "kill all humans" mode... only she's yelling at him and it makes him think for a second. How did they get here? maybe the other weak engineers were right? Until the robot blows it by speaking their language... which is an insult in itself (much like a person trying to speak to a Navajo in their native tongue) and he rips his head off and goes back his original orders.

It's an interesting idea. He hasn't told me yet what he thinks of the rest of it.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, for anyone that's interested, the language expert that assisted with the film revealed the translation of what David said to the Engineer in the "ship" room. Pretty much what I had inferred, more or less. I'll have to find the article and post here.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Oh, for anyone that's interested, the language expert that assisted with the film revealed the translation of what David said to the Engineer in the "ship" room. Pretty much what I had inferred, more or less. I'll have to find the article and post here.
    "This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life." -- translation of what David says (about Peter Weyland) to the Engineer.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

stk - I'm heading to my break in a few, will respond to your post later.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Yup.

EW.com
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Connection found between Prometheus and Blade Runner on blu-ray easter egg

Which basically means that Blade Runner takes place in the same universe as Alien. Awesome. I'm still more excited about the new Blade Runner re-release than Prometheus being released on blu-ray, but yes, nice to have a little nod, anyway.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I honestly can't decide if I want to pick up Prometheus on blu ray or not. I mean, I enjoyed the film fine enough during my theater viewing ... but having dissected to death, I'm not sure I can look past it's glaring flaws during additional viewings.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Agreed. Noticed it in shops over here already, but...meh, it's definitely not a day 1 release. Like I said, I'm more pumped for Blade Runner's 30th anniversary collector's edition later this month. Yes, it's been out on blu-ray for a while, but it's the perfect excuse for me to finally upgrade from dvd to blu-ray anyway.

- Melike

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I'm more pumped for Blade Runner's 30th anniversary collector's edition later this month. Yes, it's been out on blu-ray for a while, but it's the perfect excuse for me to finally upgrade from dvd to blu-ray anyway.
    This is the first I have heard of this!

Blade Runner is on of the few times I've double dipped with a film. I originally had the Director's Cut. Then they brought out that lovely box set with ALL versions of the film, including the rather nice Final Cut and I got that. (Another example would be the Alien box-set. I got the Alien Legacy box set originally then got the Alien Quadrilogy when I knew they were providing two versions of each film.)

Another one? I'm not sure I'll get yet another, but I'm curious as to what it contains. A google is in order I think.

As for Prometheus, I've read a lot of negativity concerning it. I went into the film with a bit of trepidation having read bad reviews... and enjoyed it. That's not to say I don't get peoples points. (It's far form a perfect film.) I will probably pick up the DVD or Blu-Ray at some point.

EDIT- One Google later. Okay, from a film perspective I don't think it brings in anything I don't already own. (I haven't compared the documentaries.) I'd love the spinner car though, but probably not to the extent I will fork out for that. That's nice package though.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

OK I just watched this movie... I am always late to the party!

I thought there was too much being packed into the movie, so I found it disjointed. It almost felt as if there were connecting scenes that were deleted that would made the movie flow better.
    I loved the overall look of the film, and there was a point at the beginning where they played some Alien music and I loved that! All of the references to Alien I really enjoyed... seeing as I am a superfan of the Alien movies!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

What were some of your issues with the film?

I know you have them

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Well, as I said, seemed to be too much trying to be packed into one film.
    We have too many themes going on... We have the search for man's creator, we have bio-warfare, we have a need to tie-in to the Alien movies, we have the father-daughter stuff (that was brief, but it is still a theme), we have the couple in love, we have the evil robot, and we have the creature evolving differently in every person it infects... which goes with the bio-warfare, but there is just so much happening.

I did like the movie, but I feel like it needed more to connect all of the sub-plots going on. Maybe if the movie were longer.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I still think Prometheus is a good science fiction movie that has been lambasted only because of the hype built for it. Because I not only avoided all trailers and viral marketting and knew what the general consesus of the film was (I went in with low expectations) I really enjoyed and have since wondered what all the hate is about and I think it is, only that, people had such expectation and had such a preconceived idea of what to expect, they found they hated it. It really is almost an identical movie to Alien so I've never understood the hate; whatever problems people had with Prometheus should, in turn, be the same problems people have with Alien - that fact of the similarities between both films seems to have been lost on most people, where the most trite details became malignant and ruined the film for many people. Prometheus is a case of what happens when people obsesses about a movies coming out to the point the movie could never match the monolithic quality and scale derived in their own minds. This is why I do not watch trailers, I do not care about movie news, when a movie comes out, if it's made by a good directors, written by a good screenwriter or has an interesting cast that I will have interest in it...I gain much more enjoyment from a film knowing zero about it. It is no wonder why people watch three teaser trailers, read interviews about the movie, watch each official trailer as it comes out, salivating at all the information given and then find themselves underwhelmed by the end result. Anticipation is great, but surprise is always better, so I choose to be surprised.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Well, as I said, seemed to be too much trying to be packed into one film.
    We have too many themes going on... We have the search for man's creator, we have bio-warfare, we have a need to tie-in to the Alien movies, we have the father-daughter stuff (that was brief, but it is still a theme), we have the couple in love, we have the evil robot, and we have the creature evolving differently in every person it infects... which goes with the bio-warfare, but there is just so much happening.

I did like the movie, but I feel like it needed more to connect all of the sub-plots going on. Maybe if the movie were longer.
    Just rewatched the film over the weekend, and I agree with a large part of what you said here. The biggest problem I feel (and I'm sure I've touched on this somewhere earlier in this thread) is that the film has no internal logic. The black goo does whatever the writers needed it to do at any given moment.

The father-daughter reveal was THE most unncessary and ill handled reveal of all time (slight hyperbole here).

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I still think Prometheus is a good science fiction movie that has been lambasted only because of the hype built for it. Because I not only avoided all trailers and viral marketting and knew what the general consesus of the film was (I went in with low expectations) I really enjoyed and have since wondered what all the hate is about and I think it is, only that, people had such expectation and had such a preconceived idea of what to expect, they found they hated it. It really is almost an identical movie to Alien so I've never understood the hate; whatever problems people had with Prometheus should, in turn, be the same problems people have with Alien - that fact of the similarities between both films seems to have been lost on most people, where the most trite details became malignant and ruined the film for many people. Prometheus is a case of what happens when people obsesses about a movies coming out to the point the movie could never match the monolithic quality and scale derived in their own minds. This is why I do not watch trailers, I do not care about movie news, when a movie comes out, if it's made by a good directors, written by a good screenwriter or has an interesting cast that I will have interest in it...I gain much more enjoyment from a film knowing zero about it. It is no wonder why people watch three teaser trailers, read interviews about the movie, watch each official trailer as it comes out, salivating at all the information given and then find themselves underwhelmed by the end result. Anticipation is great, but surprise is always better, so I choose to be surprised.
    I agree that cataclysmic expectations ruin a film, but after my initial viewing (and subsequent disappointment) I rewatched it over the weekend already knowing what to expect and .. I was still disappointed.

The film is nothing like ALIEN, tempo wise. Alien was a master class in dread and building suspension, Prometheus had none of that.

The thing that annoyed me the most was the 'Sorry, your princess is in another castle!' ending. If the film would have given us at least bread crumb answers I would have been marginally happy, but Shaw might as well have said "Welp, guess you guys will get your answers in the sequel lol"

And Ridley, don't make such a big fucking deal about Prometheus NOT being a prequel to Alien when a fucking ALIEN SHOWS UP IN THE FINAL CLIP.

Reading this it sounds like I absolutely detested the movie, but I didn't. I still enjoy it despite it's glaring flaws. I'm just disappointed that it's not the masterpiece it could have been. It had all the ingredients to be a defining 21st century science fiction flick. I almost wish Scott/Lindelof had decided to ditch the entire prequel idea and just approached the film as a stand alone sci fi epic about our origins.

I did not watch any if the trailers, I had no expectations going into watching the movie. There was no hype for me.

I did not see that this movie was the same movie as Alien. I am confused by that statement.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just got done watching for the first time. I thought it was pretty good. As Odetta touched upon, I (too) liked the look of the movie. The story wasn't bad either.

To respond to comments earlier in the thread: I do not think Vickers was a robot. The Captain and her got it on. As to whether or not David had emotions, I am not sure, but he sure seemed devious as hell. But this could have been due to his programming input by a devious SOB.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I did not watch any if the trailers, I had no expectations going into watching the movie. There was no hype for me.

I did not see that this movie was the same movie as Alien. I am confused by that statement.
    Alien: A crew lands on a planet and discovers a ship. On this ship are lots of eggs, what it births attaches to a crew member. The Android os fascinated by the creature. After a very slow paced 45 mins, the crew finds themselves fighting for their lives, in which a heroine discovers a hidden corporate agenda and is the final survivor.

Prometheus: A crew sets down on an alien planet. They find a facility. Inside are lots of canisters filled with a black goo. The android becomes fascinated with it. A crew member is infected. After a slow opening 45 mins,
    the crew finds themselves fighting for survival. A hidden corporate agenda is revealed. A heroine arises to become the final survivor.

Differences: Captain doesnt die early in Prometheus. Promethus has an anthropology and theology aspect to the plot Alien does not. Alien has I think 7 characters, Prometheus has I think 16 so Prometheus had more deaths, perhaps thinner characters (not that Alien was brimming with fleshed out characters either).

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Alien: A crew lands on a planet and discovers a ship. On this ship are lots of eggs, what it births attaches to a crew member. The Android os fascinated by the creature. After a very slow paced 45 mins, the crew finds themselves fighting for their lives, in which a heroine discovers a hidden corporate agenda and is the final survivor.

Prometheus: A crew sets down on an alien planet. They find a facility. Inside are lots of canisters filled with a black goo. The android becomes fascinated with it. A crew member is infected. After a slow opening 45 mins,
    the crew finds themselves fighting for survival. A hidden corporate agenda is revealed. A heroine arises to become the final survivor.

Differences: Captain doesnt die early in Prometheus. Promethus has an anthropology and theology aspect to the plot Alien does not. Alien has I think 7 characters, Prometheus has I think 16 so Prometheus had more deaths, perhaps thinner characters (not that Alien was brimming with fleshed out characters either).
    I was too young when I saw them to really remember the original Alien. However, I watched Prometheus with my mom and several times during the movie she said, "this is just like Alien". Plus, what emerges from the Engineer after being attacked by Shaw's alien offspring, looks a hell of a lot like an alien from Alien.

Oh, is that all???

OK... Maybe I should have worded it differently... You had said that the problems people had with Prometheus, they should have had the same problems with Alien. I did not see the problems the same in both movies. That's what I meant to say.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast