Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: A L | E N

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    What this franchise needs is.... James Cameron.
    I can think of a few others that need him too... (cough cough... terminator?????????????)
    Totally agree, brother!

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    What this franchise needs is.... James Cameron.
    I can think of a few others that need him too... (cough cough... terminator?????????????)
    Totally agree, brother!
    He's too busy making Avatar 2-8 though lol.

ALIEN 1st and only hardcover edition (Book Club Edition)

U.S.A. JUNE 1979 & U.K. 1979 1st EDITIONS.

ANOTHER HARDCOVER?
    Spoiler:

4th PRINTING PERMA-BOUND and liked the two books above SIGNED.

MOVIE TIE-INS The only non-1st Editions I LIKE to get signed.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Overall, the reviews aren't bad at all. Stuckmann gave it a decent grade, and I usually agree with him.

I don't expect it to be great, but I think I will at least enjoy it.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Rewatching the Alien and Predator movies.

Thoughts on Alien:
    1) Nineteen SEVENTY-NINE!? This movie is almost forty years old? Holy fuck.
    2) While it may have been hit at the time, Ripley's underwear scene has to be the least sexy underwear scene in the history of film. For me, anyway.
    3) I didn't like the Alien as much as I do in the sequels. When he surprises the captain, he looks like he's a father scaring his kid during a game of hide and seek. "Raaaaar! I gotcha!" And then, in the finale, he just decided that NOW is the best time to curl up and take a nap?
    4) Ash is a douche.
    5) The chestburster scene and egg opening scene were perfect.

Starting Aliens now.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I saw Covenant last night. My overall thoughts are that, while it's still not as great as the first two films, it's overall pretty decent. My biggest problem with it is that there are a lot of times where it's very predictable. There are a lot of moments when it reminds you of old-school slasher movies, especially when someone finds a reason to split off from the rest of the group. It's pretty strange to see really in a film that explores big science-fiction ideas and concepts, too. My favourite part about it is how well it functions as both a sequel to Prometheus and as an Alien prequel. I haven't watched Prometheus since I saw it upon its release. After seeing this film, I'm curious to actually watch it again. Not because I didn't understand what was going on, but I'm interested in seeing how much better it flows when watched back to back with Covenant. When Prometheus was initially released, we were pretty much expecting an Alien prequel. While we didn't get it then, I think Covenant is a lot closer to what we were expecting.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Thoughts on Aliens:

1) What a perfect movie. In my Top Thirty. I can't think of one thing I would change.
    2) Fuck you, Burke!
    3) "Get away from her, you BITCH!" made me laugh out loud due to how badass it is.
    4) Bill Paxton was awesome in this movie, not the biggest fan overall, Michael Biehn on the other hand, I'm a huge fan of, and I wish he would have found a way to become an A-lister.
    5) The music and sound effects (pulse rifles, proximity beeps, etc.) were incredibly well done. It felt very ... metal. Not heavy metal, but it gives the feeling of grittiness, of hardness. Very unique, different.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Thoughts on Aliens 3:

1) Horrible CGI.
    2) I think my main problem with this movie is the characters, not only do you have ALL unlikeable characters, but most of them just sort of blend together. You're almost rooting for the alien.
    3) Dog scene is much better than ox scene.
    4) Killing off Hicks and Newt was such a bullshit move, easily one of the biggest movie fuck ups of all time.
    5) I liked the planet. The world, the bleakness and hopelessness, the fucking lice. Gross.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the heck out of Alien Covenant!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    I enjoyed the heck out of Alien Covenant!
    Me too!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm waiting until next week and the crowds die down a little. I'm looking forward to it, though. I enjoyed Prometheus better than Alien (but that might've been because I saw Prometheus first).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seeing it Wednesday. Love the positive reviews here guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you enjoyed the original Alien, you will like Covenant. They are essentially the same movie.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you enjoyed the original Alien, you will like Covenant. They are essentially the same movie.
    Sounds like a Force Awakens... lol so perfect I guess. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree that if you liked Alien, then you will enjoy Alien: Covenant. I wouldn't say it's the same movie though. In fact, they are vastly different. The original takes place solely on the spaceship, whereas a majority of Covenant takes place on land. There are tons of other differences.

I enjoyed Alien: Covenant. I thought they could have mixed in a little more tension and action, but it's a welcome addition to the franchise.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I enjoyed Covenant overall, too. There were a few problems I had with it, but overall, I liked a lot about it.

For those who've seen it, there's one key scene that I've been thinking about:

Spoiler:
    The "birth" of the first true Xenomorph. Is it just me, or did that moment feel not quite as big as it should have done? Now don't get me wrong, the chest-bursting scene in this film was never going to top the original, which is so iconic and, in my opinion, still retains the power to shock. But when the xenomorph burst from Oram...I don't know. I can't help but think that Scott wanted the moment to seem bigger than it actually felt. Was that just me?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Seen Alien last night and LOVED IT. Did it in Dbox seats too which adds so much to the film as well. I can't wait for the next one! I really enjoyed this and the ending...

Spoiler:
    Do you think the ship has been turned around and is going to earth now and not the new world?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was going to do a quick write-up for Covenant, but turns out I had a lot more to say. Here's my review:

Alien: Covenant

(My rating is fluctuating at the moment, but will most likely hover somewhere in this range, give or take .5).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Good write up, Rick. I think you confirmed most of my fears from this film and its the primary reason I haven't paid money to see it yet.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Fernando. I was hopeful, but it was pretty disappointing on many levels. Now I know how the people who didn't like Prometheus felt.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I was going to do a quick write-up for Covenant, but turns out I had a lot more to say. Here's my review:

Alien: Covenant

(My rating is fluctuating at the moment, but will most likely hover somewhere in this range, give or take .5).
    Great review, Ricky! Really insightful. I enjoyed the film a little more than you, but I can see where you're coming from. We share some of the same disappointments.

Like yourself, I didn't dislike Prometheus. In fact, I had tons of great discussion (much of it here) after watching Prometheus.

I still contend that the Engineers never intended to destroy humanity. That's probably a discussion for another time.

If I'm being honest, I would have preferred a direct sequel to Prometheus. There's so much we were itching to learn about the Engineers. Possibly the biggest disappointment with Covenant is how they deal with the Engineer thread
    Spoiler:
    essentially vaporize the whole thing.

I agree with you about David and Walter. As much as I love Fassbender, and he is fantastic as David, there's an inherent problem when a robot is the heart and soul of your film.

I've seen Katherine Waterston in Inherent Vice and Fantastic Beasts and while she's a good actress, everything about her is just blah. I much prefer Rapace.

Overall, if I'm doing an Alien franchise marathon, I'm not going to dread watching Covenant again.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Great review, Ricky! Really insightful. I enjoyed the film a little more than you, but I can see where you're coming from. We share some of the same disappointments.

Like yourself, I didn't dislike Prometheus. In fact, I had tons of great discussion (much of it here) after watching Prometheus.

I still contend that the Engineers never intended to destroy humanity. That's probably a discussion for another time.

If I'm being honest, I would have preferred a direct sequel to Prometheus. There's so much we were itching to learn about the Engineers. Possibly the biggest disappointment with Covenant is how they deal with the Engineer thread
    Spoiler:
    essentially vaporize the whole thing.

Overall, if I'm doing an Alien franchise marathon, I'm not going to dread watching Covenant again.
    Thanks, Mike! It's especially disappointing because it could've been so much better. I also would've preferred a direct sequel to Prometheus (and agree with your spoiler), which is what I assumed we'd be getting. But then when filming began and
    Spoiler:
    Rapace was only on set for a week, I got the feeling they were scrapping her.

I was just thinking today about how things could've gone. If we had a whole movie with David and Shaw finding and planning contact with the Engineers, David
    Spoiler:
    could still kill the Engineers
    in the end, and Shaw, disapproving and heartbroken that she was cheated out of the answers she'd longed for, could've planned to destroy him. How awesome would a third act of Shaw vs. David be? She'd have to rely on her smarts and David would have his ship-dwelling alien beasties on his side.

(Is our old Prometheus thread still around here? I wanted to look through it before I saw Covenant but couldn't mind it. You're right, there were lots of good discussions in there.)
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm in the camp of those who absolutely - I don't want to say despise, but close enough - Prometheus because of what it failed to do. So much wasted potential.

I guess I don't know if I want to take another carousel roundabout in Scott's disappointing gory-go-round.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast