Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: A L | E N

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Harvest was like the first one - decent with a great ending

Alone, I’m still not sure about. Loved the premise, but it didn’t do enough even though it’s the longest. Overall these were great; it’s something fun that other franchises should be doing to keep interest percolating

I don’t like the children of the corn films, but Children of the Corn would be a perfect candidate for this kind of treatment

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Our thanks to you Mae the Mighty

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Harvest: not my favorite, but the ending was bananas.

Alone: interesting take on the androids and face-huggers (reminiscent of Covenant), and great score.

I've really enjoyed these.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Incidentally, I also just starting playing Alien: Isolation, very early in but it's incredible so far. I think it's canon and it's set 15 years after the first film. Check it out:

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I recently got that game as well. I stopped playing just a little way in to finish RDR2 (and because I don't have enough time to play.)

I wouldn't say its cannon. I am pretty sure Ripley's daughter died a little old lady and didn't meet any Xenomorphs. Also, if one had got on a base then The Company would have known more than they apparently do in Aliens.

Edit: That video is 30+ minutes watching someone play a game?! My son watches people play games on YouTube and I don't get it. If you're going to play, it ruins the surprises and if you're not then why do you care enough to watch the video.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    I recently got that game as well. I stopped playing just a little way in to finish RDR2 (and because I don't have enough time to play.)

I wouldn't say its cannon. I am pretty sure Ripley's daughter died a little old lady and didn't meet any Xenomorphs. Also, if one had got on a base then The Company would have known more than they apparently do in Aliens.

Edit: That video is 30+ minutes watching someone play a game?! My son watches people play games on YouTube and I don't get it. If you're going to play, it ruins the surprises and if you're not then why do you care enough to watch the video.
    I don't get it either. It's a whole thing now. The only time I will watch someone play a game is if I'm going for platinum and I need to find something obscure. I've also watched some word record runs for a few retro games.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

I like watching playthgroughs for games I'm interested in to see if I should play it or not. Even 20-30 minutes will give you a good idea and won't spoil much of anything. Or after completing a game to see how someone else deals with different situations. Or maybe it's a game I can't play (too expensive, console only).

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I like watching playthgroughs for games I'm interested in to see if I should play it or not. Even 20-30 minutes will give you a good idea and won't spoil much of anything. Or after completing a game to see how someone else deals with different situations. Or maybe it's a game I can't play (too expensive, console only).
    Yeah, that's totally fine. That's almost like watching a trailer to me.

Country
    Country Flag

In honor of our 1980s Great Movie Tournament winner:

https://theplaylist.net/ridley-scott...ture-20200603/
    No matter how many fans and critics openly ask for him to stop, it appears that Ridley Scott is still deadset on making more ‘Alien’ films. And even though his previous entry in the franchise, “Alien: Covenant,” aimed to tie together the previous films with his new prequel story started in “Prometheus,” the film failed to live up to the hype, with many thinking the sci-fi horror series was officially dead. Well, according to a recent interview with the Los Angeles Times, Scott thinks ‘Alien’ is ripe for evolution.

The history of the ‘Alien’ film franchise is pretty incredible, as an example of all the highs and lows of big studio filmmaking. You have the iconic first film, featuring a young director making a name for himself with a unique concept and incredible VFX. Then the sequel ups the ante, turning the franchise into an action-adventure series with muscle-bound soldiers and big guns. The third film is an example of a Snyder Cut situation well before the Snyder Cut existed, with David Fincher’s vision being completely altered. The fourth film? Well, let’s not talk about that. It’s the clear “jump the shark” moment for the franchise. Then there are the spin-offs with the ‘Predator’ franchise that are pretty meh.

But Ridley Scott eventually returned with “Promethues,” an honest attempt to build the mythology of the ‘Alien’ universe while also offering a new spin on the genre. Though it has lofty ambitions, the film doesn’t necessarily succeed and is nothing more than just a decent sci-fi film and a below-average ‘Alien’ film. ‘Covenant,’ on the other hand, was supposed to be the film that saved the franchise, with Scott learning from the “Prometheus” mistakes and kickstarting a new era for ‘Alien.’ Unfortunately, the film isn’t great (though I find it far better than the hyperbolic discussion would have you believe) and the franchise sputtered.

Now, it appears that Ridley Scott thinks the ‘Alien’ franchise is ready for another round, but there has to be a re-evolution.

“I still think there’s a lot of mileage in ‘Alien,’ but I think you’ll have to now re-evolve,” the filmmaker explained. “What I always thought when I was making it, the first one, why would a creature like this be made and why was it traveling in what I always thought was a kind of war-craft, which was carrying a cargo of these eggs. What was the purpose of the vehicle and what was the purpose of the eggs? That’s the thing to question — who, why, and for what purpose is the next idea, I think.”

This explanation is likely the best one I’ve read for why “Prometheus” and ‘Covenant’ exist. However, for that reason, it’s also a good indicator of why those films failed to connect with fans that want more Xenomorph action. But hey, maybe if he tries again to re-invent ‘Alien,’ he’ll be able to stick the landing. As a huge fan of the franchise, I can only hope.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Alien: Covenant wasn't bad but it made Prometheus completely pointless. Its pitch black ending also didn't lead us to where we start in Alien. In fact, it took us further away than where Prometheus left us. There is also the problem of supposedly smart people being dumb in both movies. In the very first movie of the franchise the space truckers were smart enough to wear protective suits and quanrantine people (until the android interference) but scientists in the last two just walk into alien environments and see how close they can stick their unprotected faces to alien lifeforms.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

In a way, I think Alien killed Prometheus.

If Ridley Scott had told the Prometheus story as its own thing, with perhaps hints that it existed in the same universe as alien, I think it could have worked, and he could have made the films he wanted to make. Instead, I feel he was forced to rush the story forward to connect it with the first alien movie too quickly.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

That is definitely the case with Alien: Covenant. He had a totally different movie planned involving the engineers (space jockeys) called Paradise Lost (or something like that.) Instead people griped there weren't enough Aliens in Prometheus so he said F it and completely rewrote it. It's why we only get a flashback of why the engineers are gone instead of the whole story.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

The problem with Prometheus and Covenant was giving a shitty back story to the Xenomorphs. They are more terrifying being an unknown. Having them be engineered by David using the pathogen was unnecessary and frankly idiotic.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

There are two key problems with The Alien Franchise

1 - The premise is extremely limited. It doesn't matter what you do with an Alien movie because it can only fit two templates: group of people deal with a single xenomorph that kills them (the infected storyline) or there is a bunch of aliens already and people have to fight them - both films inevitably boil down to aliens kill people so human have to kill aliens. The template at it's core is a simple monster movie formula.

2 - Because the central appeal of the Alien movies is how effective they are as monster movies, but also how great you can make an action movie with them (thanks to Aliens), so Alien thrills are at the core of the franchise. The fact the films were generally well made and well written only made the appeal more appealing.

Prometheus is a perfect example how a lofty science fiction film about the meaning of life, where we came from, of meeting your creator, the relationship between Gods and their creations, and the desire to know all of these things to explain why humans are what they are, has to fit in around a generic monster thriller where people are killed off one by one. Think of how upset people were with Prometheus not having enough xenomorphs in it (though the spirit of xenomorphs were alive and well in it), imagine if Scott had instead made a slow moving thinker picture about where we came up without any of the death and destruction and alien thing infecting people. The good parts about Prometheus are fucking great. The problem is the monster movie gets in the way. That's why in Prometheus we have smart people basically doing stupid things because the formula demanded, but it also needed intelligent characters to establish the intelligent themes. And that's the clash.

Alien Covenant is even more the case. The most fascinating parts of that movie involve David, an android, and his quest to become a God by creating the perfect life form, the contrast between him, a free-thinker with ambition and desires vs. the improved android, Walter, who lacked those things. That would be a fantastic science fiction film in its own right. But you have to slap that on top of another monster thrills movie.

Even with the original Alien and Aliens, what made them so interesting beyond a monster film, was the Weyland-Yutani company and their obsession with the Alien, and their need to study it and weaponize it and to control it. It added an interesting philosophy on capitalism and corporate greed and Mankind's desire to control life for monetary gain. While the films were never necessarily about Weyland-Yutani, it's basically a saga about how people are expendable in the search for corporate profits and expansion. With Prometheus being, at it's core, about a rich, powerful man using others to secretly achieve immortality, that spirit was still strong.

Really, the worst part about the two Alien prequels is that people wanted them to be alien movies. And the sad part about that is after the previous 4 Alien movies and 2 bad AVP movies, it was clear the Alien Formula had basically done all it can do. I don't really hate on those those two movies like others, but that's probably because I really, really like the sci-fi stuff in those films.

I think now the only way you can make an Alien film work is if you craft an extremely good story that's engaging with good characters that has something to say and you manage to somehow tell this story around the Alien Formula in a way that uses the xenomorph in a totally unique way.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Great analysis Mattrick. I overall enjoy the two prequels but don't like the way the Xenomorphs were shoehorned in.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post
    The problem with Prometheus and Covenant was giving a shitty back story to the Xenomorphs. They are more terrifying being an unknown. Having them be engineered by David using the pathogen was unnecessary and frankly idiotic.
    I agree, but I think the problem was that they were too closely linked to the Alien series in the first place. I think there was a solid story of humankind discovering their extraterrestrial gods in there somewhere, and while setting it in the universe of Alien, it didn’t have to be the origin story of the xenomorph.

I imagine it could have been a retelling of Greek mythology - as indicated by the title of the first film. Prometheus is well known as the Greek God who stole divine fire for humanity, but he is also the God who fashioned humanity - in all their varied races - from clay. The implications of Scott’s choice if title are interesting. Perhaps the xenomorphs represent the evils that escaped Pandora’s jar - a vessel given to her by Zeus as retribution for prometheus’ theft?

Sadly, we will never know.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    In a way, I think Alien killed Prometheus.

If Ridley Scott had told the Prometheus story as its own thing, with perhaps hints that it existed in the same universe as alien, I think it could have worked, and he could have made the films he wanted to make. Instead, I feel he was forced to rush the story forward to connect it with the first alien movie too quickly.
    That's really the problem at the heart of Prometheus, and the prequels by extension. It wanted to be both a sci-fi tale about our relationship with God/our penchant for playing God, and a direct link to Alien - and it didn't do either extremely well. Certainly not well enough for a film with such a rich legacy in filmdom as Alien.

I remember the exact moment I knew the film was going to be jumbled, when a few months before release someone interviewing Lindelof/Scott outright asked if the film was indeed a prequel to Alien and they hesitantly answered that they would "share similar strands of DNA". I knew right then and there that the film would have competing narratives.

That is definitely the case with Alien: Covenant. He had a totally different movie planned involving the engineers (space jockeys) called Paradise Lost (or something like that.) Instead people griped there weren't enough Aliens in Prometheus so he said F it and completely rewrote it. It's why we only get a flashback of why the engineers are gone instead of the whole story.
    I always wondered why they dropped the Paradise Lost title, now I know. I'm surprised a seasoned director like Scott let himself get influenced by what "everyone else" wanted to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post
    Hmm Idk. I kinda like the idea that we were both directly and indirectly the architects of our own demise. We created the androids which created the aliens that spell doom for humanity. There's also some interesting symmetry about progenitors getting taken out by their own creations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The good parts about Prometheus are fucking great. The problem is the monster movie gets in the way...
    Bingo. If I had to encapsulate the problems with the prequels in a sentence, it would be precisely this.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Instead people griped there weren't enough Aliens in Prometheus so he said F it and completely rewrote it. It's why we only get a flashback of why the engineers are gone instead of the whole story.
    That frustrated me, especially because I liked the non-Alien stuff of Prometheus. And if you watch Prometheus and Covenant back-to-back, you can really tell how Ridley said, like you said, "Bye, Prometheus stuff. Time for more Alien carnage!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The good parts about Prometheus are fucking great. The problem is the monster movie gets in the way...
    Yeah, I think I'd agree with that, too.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Instead people griped there weren't enough Aliens in Prometheus so he said F it and completely rewrote it. It's why we only get a flashback of why the engineers are gone instead of the whole story.
    That frustrated me, especially because I liked the non-Alien stuff of Prometheus. And if you watch Prometheus and Covenant back-to-back, you can really tell how Ridley said, like you said, "Bye, Prometheus stuff. Time for more Alien carnage!"
    You nailed it. I watched both movies back-to-back recently, and that's exactly right. There are still very interesting developments in Covenant, but they are not the Alien bits. You can see some of the ideas that Scott had for Paradise Lost, though.

(Not getting Noomi Rapace back for Covenant broke my heart, too. She was the best part of Prometheus)

To be fair to Ridley Scott, though, it wasn't all up to him. Covenant may not have been greenlit if Scott didn't promise to put more Alien stuff in there. A big expensive non-franchise SF film is a rare thing these days.

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You nailed it. I watched both movies back-to-back recently, and that's exactly right. There are still very interesting developments in Covenant, but they are not the Alien bits. You can see some of the ideas that Scott had for Paradise Lost, though.

(Not getting Noomi Rapace back for Covenant broke my heart, too. She was the best part of Prometheus)

To be fair to Ridley Scott, though, it wasn't all up to him. Covenant may not have been greenlit if Scott didn't promise to put more Alien stuff in there. A big expensive non-franchise SF film is a rare thing these days.
    Noomi Rapace was the heart of that film. Not bringing her back in Covenant was a huge negative for me. Seeing her killed in a short film prior to release was even more infuriating.

Country
    Country Flag

To be fair to Ridley Scott, though, it wasn't all up to him. Covenant may not have been greenlit if Scott didn't promise to put more Alien stuff in there.
    They really shit all over Shaw's character with that reveal. I'm still kind of irritated about that. However, it did give David an interesting dimension to play with.

And it's ironic if Covenant turned out to be, like you said, greenlit only if Ridley put Alien stuff in there because it seems like no one was really crazy about the movie with the Alien stuff anyway. They tried to play to both the Prometheus fans and the Alien franchise fans and ultimately didn't do much in the way of pleasing either.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Noomi Rapace was the heart of that film. Not bringing her back in Covenant was a huge negative for me. Seeing her killed in a short film prior to release was even more infuriating.
    Yes, yes, and yes.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Yes, yes, and yes.
    And yes.

Ilium (Simmons)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast